News Faitala-Mariner opens up on difficult season, clears the air on exactly what happened during training drama

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Really?

You didn’t suggest the conversation never took place?

View attachment 98311

‘If in fact said conversation actually took place’ isn’t suggesting that I might’ve told a porky pie?

C’mon flappy gums, if you’re going to continue to harp on, at least be consistent and honest :-).

PS - I DID have the ‘whole truth’ about Waddell - even your bromance boy @Polly Power confirmed that. And regarding ‘financial support’ - were you a member two years ago? You’ve claimed today you supported Gus’ appointment so it’s interesting to know if this carry on about ‘I won’t financially support the club because I don’t agree with the current direction’ is sincere or you’ve never been a member and that’s just a cop-out. It wouldn’t surprise if it’s the latter just quietly.
It’s suggesting that I am not just going to believe your anecdotal evidence… nor do I expect you to or have I tried to insist you believe mine.

Didn’t even read the rest of your reply. You do nothing but try to create conflict with me and talk rubbish, you are a waste of my time.

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
No, I don’t think it was Professor X, I think it was Gus… and yes, I think he is lying, but it’s a well intentioned lie to keep heat off the club. No use debating with you. You only see things your way and construe an orchestrated media appearance as fact. You are a waste of energy. :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy:
So if you think RFM is a liar how can you believe anything he says?

How can you defend a liar so staunchly?

Funny how you accuse me of only seeing things my way.

Show me one post you have made where you have made the slightest effort to see the opposite side.

I bet you and the TROLL SQUAD can look for weeks and not find one.

You drive an agenda with only one message and then accuse others of only seeing things their way.

What was that word again....................................................................................oh yeah - HYPOCRITE

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
I asked you about Topine previously.....correct...today's question was regarding RFM..
I wasn’t saying anyone told me anything in confidence about RFM, really… just going on what I see as common sense… I’m not buying such an abrupt change of the narrative as organic, and I don’t believe there was a misunderstanding
I believe this is damage control.

I guess we got our wires crossed somewhere as to which player we are actually talking about.

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
he’s a rat lol but I think it was well intentioned. Sticking up for a mate but tbh, he’s gotta wear the hat of a snr player and show them that he’s in the trenches with them and bring em back into line

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
So if you think RFM is a liar how can you believe anything he says?

How can you defend a liar so staunchly?

Funny how you accuse me of only seeing things my way.

Show me one post you have made where you have made the slightest effort to see the opposite side.

I bet you and the TROLL SQUAD can look for weeks and not find one.

You drive an agenda with only one message and then accuse others of only seeing things their way.

What was that word again....................................................................................oh yeah - HYPOCRITE
You’ve never told a white lie for what you saw as a good cause? We all do that. There is a huge difference between someone who tells a well intentioned lie and a liar.

There’s a difference, fam. I’m not the one constantly tagging you and trying to force my view on you. I’m only commenting on this thread because you tagged me trying to turkey slap me over an orchestrated media performance lol.

I never said you don’t have a right to think what you think. But I’m comfortable with what I think and nobody has presented an argument that has given me any real inclination to question it.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Didn’t even read the rest of your reply. You do nothing but try to create conflict with me and talk rubbish, you are a waste of my time.
Translation: ‘In reading the rest of your reply, I’m snookered and have no adequate response so I’ll get on my high horse about my time being wasted and move on because I’ve been called out again’

PS: @04 Dreaming liked your post because he knows the same feeling. #ClownCrew :tearsofjoy:.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Yes I received the text and no I wont share it publicly. Less than 40 people received it in some form. Im not gonna leak it to a forum of thousands of vultures. I respect the sanctity of the situation and that I was fortunate enough to be privvy
Brilliant Flipper :tearsofjoy:.
So you ‘respected the sanctity of the situation’ whilst being happy to tell the forum you’d received it. So why did you ignore my several requests to quote the first four words which would’ve maintained said ‘sanctity’? Sudden moral credibility even though you were happy to leak other bullshit to the forum such as ‘knowing’ Luai had signed? Also, how do you know re: ‘40 people’ and how do you receive a text ‘in some form’? You’re saying some of these ‘40’ people ‘edited’ said text and redistributed it? C’mon, tell us what actually happened - this’ll be good :-).

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Hey @Flanagun you’re a good person, well intentioned and very loyal. I see some like to talk about your membership I’m sure you get emails every week saying become a member again. I know some in here don’t want you to spend on the club but the club begs for our dollars.
Polly can you provide examples of where the club ‘emails every week’ begging former members for their dollars? No?? We’re shocked. Not. It doesn’t happen and everyone but the #ClownCrew knows it to be true. You guys are hilarious in the nonsense you’re willing to come up with to try to hold the line on something :-).

stevesonthebay

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
By Martin Gabor-NCA Newswire

He was at the centre of what threatened to be an explosive confrontation, and now a Bulldogs veteran has given his version of events.

Bulldogs veteran Raymond Faitala-Mariner has cleared the air on a turbulent 2023, conceding he should have handled things differently during a messy end to the season.
Faitala-Mariner confronted coach Cameron Ciraldo about his training methods after he’d received complaints from some of his teammates.
It was a massive learning curve for the 30-year-old, who was appointed club captain at the start of the season and emerged as a pivotal bridge between the coaching staff and the club’s younger players, only to become the scapegoat and reportedly told he was unwanted by the club.

“It was a year of learning for all of us, even for myself,” he said on Wednesday.

“I’ve learnt a lot about leadership and what that looks like and what that needs to look like, not only leading by example but knowing what to say.

“I say last year was a blessing in disguise heading into this year because you know what to do and what not to do.”

Another tough year of on-field results boiled over late in the season when reports emerged that some of the players were unhappy with certain training methods that Faitala-Mariner relayed to the coaching staff.

But the veteran forward says some of the things that were reported weren’t entirely true.

“I wouldn’t say that there were issues. I don’t think there were ever any issues at the club,” he explained.

“There were a few conversations here and there with the boys, but what I should have done was nail it on the head and said ‘boys, this is who we are and we’ve just got to buy into it’.

“There is a time as a leader when you need to address those concerns or whatever the boys are going through. From my end, I just need to communicate better with the boys and let them know this is where we’re going and you might have to suck it up because this is the way it is here.

“There were no concerns or issues – some boys felt comfortable to have a chat.”

The drama led to reports that the club was trying to offload one of their most respected leaders, with claims he was told by club officials to stay away from training.

His name was in the papers most days, but crucial chats with Ciraldo and Bulldogs general manager of football Phil Gould smoothed things over.

“It was tough. When things did come out, I had a conversation with the club and they told me it wasn’t true, so I believed them,” he said.

“I just carried on with my process and getting things done because they gave me their word that what came out wasn’t true.

“I came in the next morning and had a conversation with Ciraldo and Gus, and they both told me it wasn’t true.

“I took their word for it.”

As for the reports he was banned from training that prompted the RLPA to get involved, Faitala-Mariner says it was a simple case of both parties getting their wires crossed.

“I think it was just a miscommunication from my end,” he said.

“We had the meeting, I had the conversation with Gus and he was straight up with me. We’ve put everything to bed and then I started the next Monday.”

Faitala-Mariner made it clear he wanted to drive the standards and be the man to help the Bulldogs turn things around, which is why he spent 10 minutes giving forthright answers to the media.

But there was one question that forced him to pause for a minute before answering why he thinks 2024 will be different for a club that’s been starved of success.

“I think having an emphasis on our core values as a Bulldog, which are family, grit and excellence,” he said.

“There’s been a lot of emphasis on that in the pre-season, and based on the way the boys are training, everyone is buying into it.

“You can sense the togetherness that’s starting to brew here.

“That’s the thing that’s been missing.

“All teams have similar moves and systems, but it’s the stuff between the ears that makes a difference.”
Good stuff. I think thats a relief because we could not afford to have such a good player on the sidelines. I think Mariner will come in handy for us. He had a disrupted 2023 so hopefully he has a good off season and gets back to peak fitness as he can is a big body which we need.

Mariner played some mid at the end of last season and looked OK. He is one of our biggest forwards and can be agressive and has a bit of a step and offload in him.

Out of all the mids on the market I think Mariner would be the best at the moment. I wouldn't mind seeing Mariner and say Patolo at prop as they are both agressive and powerful. With King, Hughes and Knight thats a decent set of mids. Though I would like to see King at lock.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
All the drama aside, his goal should be to nail down a bench spot.

He is a veteran player, managing his minutes for bench impact would be the best option.

I still think our strongest line up to start the season includes a fit and firing RFM.

Magic Burton

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No, I don’t think it was Professor X, I think it was Gus… and yes, I think he is lying, but it’s a well intentioned lie to keep heat off the club. No use debating with you. You only see things your way and construe an orchestrated media appearance as fact. You are a waste of energy.
@Flanagun one thing we all know is that RFM loves the club and is loyal to the club. Our so called fans don’t show the same loyalty. And we wonder why a player has had to take mental health leave.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Good on him for acknowledging he could’ve handled things better. Hopefully this is the last we hear of it.
A good friend of mine attends the same church as RFM. What he has told me about him accords with this article.
RFM admitted that he was playing poorly, and had let himself and the club down.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
@Flanagun one thing we all know is that RFM loves the club and is loyal to the club. Our so called fans don’t show the same loyalty. And we wonder why a player has had to take mental health leave.
Polly the vast majority of players don’t read this forum or other Bulldogs social media and are encouraged to keep away from it. I know personally for a fact that DCE tells young Manly fans he meets that his social media is necessary only for sponsorship, is run by his manager and that the best thing they can do is not waste their time with it. Are you honestly suggesting Topine and/or RFM were affected by mental health issues that were anything to do with ‘fans’ and if so can you prove it? No? Again? Didn’t think so…

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I wanted him gone but it's nice to know that the club has a re-education camp in belmore.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
A good friend of mine attends the same church as RFM. What he has told me about him accords with this article.
RFM admitted that he was playing poorly, and had let himself and the club down.
As a person I believe he is a good guy. Unfortunately whether it be a professional footballer or in business. If you don’t do what you are paid to do. Leaving your co workers to cover you. You won’t last long.

The positive point out of this is he acknowledges areas he needs to work on. With our chronic shortage of middle forwards. If he gets into hard work over the offseason and finds some of the old RFM. Training in the Middle role. He could fill one of those holes. He needs to want it though. Then he needs to prove that to the coaching and playing group.

craigo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Struggling to make a bench spot in any team let alone the bulldogs. He has been average since debut

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brilliant Flipper :tearsofjoy:.
So you ‘respected the sanctity of the situation’ whilst being happy to tell the forum you’d received it. So why did you ignore my several requests to quote the first four words which would’ve maintained said ‘sanctity’? Sudden moral credibility even though you were happy to leak other bullshit to the forum such as ‘knowing’ Luai had signed? Also, how do you know re: ‘40 people’ and how do you receive a text ‘in some form’? You’re saying some of these ‘40’ people ‘edited’ said text and redistributed it? C’mon, tell us what actually happened - this’ll be good :-).
So he’s still hanging onto the “I’ve got the text but it’s private” hey …

He says it’s been forwarded around to 40 people including Neville nobody’s like himself … but he’s the one up holding the sanctity of the text .. [emoji23][emoji23] … brilliant ..

If it is even true (cough) … how could he know it’s even authentic or what the original text even said if it’s been edited ..

In a court of law he’d have the cuffs on and have left the judge laughing …

Definitely not the shiniest penny in the bunch ..