News Faitala-Mariner opens up on difficult season, clears the air on exactly what happened during training drama

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Two different issues. Re RFM I'm expressing a level of incredulity at how dramatically the narrative has shifted and saying I see things that don't add up

But @Heckler was asking what I have heard about Topine... which I am not in a position to divulge. I can't even be 100 per cent sure it's true. But I trust the source and what I was told convinced me.
I asked you about Topine previously.....correct...today's question was regarding RFM..

Dogiezz

Kennel Established
Reaction score
2nd confession by RFM and you are still in denial.

Right and the Players Association came in saved the day.

Thats why Clint Newton has had his face everywhere telling anyone who will listen how he got one over Gould and that all CEOs should be scared of him.

And his first confession to Rothfield was all made up because Drunkfield owed Gus a favour. Is that why RFMs Manager is chasing the Telegraph for a retraction?

Actually you know what happened, Gould and Ciraldo hired a psychic and brainwashed him into believing that none of it really happened.

Or that isn't RFM, It is an alien who was hired by Gould to take RFM's face and pretend it was his fault to smear his rep.

Sometimes @Flanagun if it walks like a duck, and , it quacks like a duck and it confesses like a duck it is just a F@#King duck.
Bro, why bother replying to this troll?

Hit IGNORE!

Forum is so much better not reading these troll bullshit!

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
RFM can say all of the right things and that's a great start but it won't mean shit unless he plays harder than ever whether he's playing FG or Reserves.

He's got to fight for his career now so hopefully he learns from last season and can work his way back into the team as there is plenty of opportunity for him to play minutes in the middle.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
By Martin Gabor-NCA Newswire

He was at the centre of what threatened to be an explosive confrontation, and now a Bulldogs veteran has given his version of events.

Bulldogs veteran Raymond Faitala-Mariner has cleared the air on a turbulent 2023, conceding he should have handled things differently during a messy end to the season.
Faitala-Mariner confronted coach Cameron Ciraldo about his training methods after he’d received complaints from some of his teammates.
It was a massive learning curve for the 30-year-old, who was appointed club captain at the start of the season and emerged as a pivotal bridge between the coaching staff and the club’s younger players, only to become the scapegoat and reportedly told he was unwanted by the club.

“It was a year of learning for all of us, even for myself,” he said on Wednesday.

“I’ve learnt a lot about leadership and what that looks like and what that needs to look like, not only leading by example but knowing what to say.

“I say last year was a blessing in disguise heading into this year because you know what to do and what not to do.”

Another tough year of on-field results boiled over late in the season when reports emerged that some of the players were unhappy with certain training methods that Faitala-Mariner relayed to the coaching staff.

But the veteran forward says some of the things that were reported weren’t entirely true.

“I wouldn’t say that there were issues. I don’t think there were ever any issues at the club,” he explained.

“There were a few conversations here and there with the boys, but what I should have done was nail it on the head and said ‘boys, this is who we are and we’ve just got to buy into it’.

“There is a time as a leader when you need to address those concerns or whatever the boys are going through. From my end, I just need to communicate better with the boys and let them know this is where we’re going and you might have to suck it up because this is the way it is here.

“There were no concerns or issues – some boys felt comfortable to have a chat.”

The drama led to reports that the club was trying to offload one of their most respected leaders, with claims he was told by club officials to stay away from training.

His name was in the papers most days, but crucial chats with Ciraldo and Bulldogs general manager of football Phil Gould smoothed things over.

“It was tough. When things did come out, I had a conversation with the club and they told me it wasn’t true, so I believed them,” he said.

“I just carried on with my process and getting things done because they gave me their word that what came out wasn’t true.

“I came in the next morning and had a conversation with Ciraldo and Gus, and they both told me it wasn’t true.

“I took their word for it.”

As for the reports he was banned from training that prompted the RLPA to get involved, Faitala-Mariner says it was a simple case of both parties getting their wires crossed.

“I think it was just a miscommunication from my end,” he said.

“We had the meeting, I had the conversation with Gus and he was straight up with me. We’ve put everything to bed and then I started the next Monday.”

Faitala-Mariner made it clear he wanted to drive the standards and be the man to help the Bulldogs turn things around, which is why he spent 10 minutes giving forthright answers to the media.

But there was one question that forced him to pause for a minute before answering why he thinks 2024 will be different for a club that’s been starved of success.

“I think having an emphasis on our core values as a Bulldog, which are family, grit and excellence,” he said.

“There’s been a lot of emphasis on that in the pre-season, and based on the way the boys are training, everyone is buying into it.

“You can sense the togetherness that’s starting to brew here.

“That’s the thing that’s been missing.

“All teams have similar moves and systems, but it’s the stuff between the ears that makes a difference.”
I've always liked RFM as a clubman prior to this soap opera,but this has been a long time coming.He should have cleared the air sooner

Last edited:

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I didn't say you were lying. I said you're probably being lied to. And I said it in response to you tagging me obnoxiously and making out you have the whole truth, while attempting to undermine my opinion because I don't want to financially support the current direction the club is headed in. And you calling me righteous? Pot meet kettle.
Really?

You didn’t suggest the conversation never took place?

IMG_7666.jpeg

‘If in fact said conversation actually took place’ isn’t suggesting that I might’ve told a porky pie?

C’mon flappy gums, if you’re going to continue to harp on, at least be consistent and honest :-).

PS - I DID have the ‘whole truth’ about Waddell - even your bromance boy @Polly Power confirmed that. And regarding ‘financial support’ - were you a member two years ago? You’ve claimed today you supported Gus’ appointment so it’s interesting to know if this carry on about ‘I won’t financially support the club because I don’t agree with the current direction’ is sincere or you’ve never been a member and that’s just a cop-out. It wouldn’t surprise if it’s the latter just quietly.

Shnissss

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry, but anyone who states they’ve been told something in strict confidence, and then comes on a public forum and sprouts out that they know something but can’t say what … is 100% just being a dick ..

I’m still waiting for the infamous text that a certain Fizbo said they had a copy of … has that been produced yet … maybe I missed it ..
Haha you have to love it when a muppet on a forum claims to know more about story than the person involved in it. Clown gang hitting new highs!

Said it before and I’ll say it again - they have zero inside information about what’s going on at the club

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Haha you have to love it when a muppet on a forum claims to know more about story than the person involved in it. Clown gang hitting new highs!

Said it before and I’ll say it again - they have zero inside information about what’s going on at the club
But they can't name sources, verify facts or back up any of their claims due to "legal proceedings and breaching trust"
2-21845_laughing-emoji-png-transparent-background-emoji-png-png.png

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Sorry, but anyone who states they’ve been told something in strict confidence, and then comes on a public forum and sprouts out that they know something but can’t say what … is 100% just being a dick ..

I’m still waiting for the infamous text that a certain Fizbo said they had a copy of … has that been produced yet … maybe I missed it ..
Flipper never had any text. It was another lie.

Re: ‘inside info’ - the only thing I volunteered was confirmation that Waddell wasn’t offered a new deal - AFTER the fact. I never claimed I knew before it was all over and he’d departed the club - I absolutely didn’t.

WillieMasonFan

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Sorry if this is not the right place to ask, but what is going on with Topine? Is he Top 30, is he still with the club?

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
True redemption for him will on the field and that only, he can talk as much as he wants but it means shit.

Magic Burton

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Look back at my history on this forum.... I have never been a person who is always negative...in fact, at many times over the years I have been more optimistic than the majority of members on this forum. Even when the news of Gus coming to us first broke, I was optimistic, I just really don't like the direction I see this club moving under Ciraldo and Gus. I wish some of you could just accept that without resorting to thinly vei;led attacks or insinuations that I am negative just for the sake of it.

I believe what I heard because it was a very detailed account which struck me as credible.
Hey @Flanagun you’re a good person, well intentioned and very loyal. I see some like to talk about your membership I’m sure you get emails every week saying become a member again. I know some in here don’t want you to spend on the club but the club begs for our dollars.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Flipper never had any text. It was another lie.

Re: ‘inside info’ - the only thing I volunteered was confirmation that Waddell wasn’t offered a new deal - AFTER the fact. I never claimed I knew before it was all over and he’d departed the club - I absolutely didn’t.
Narr mate .. I’m talking about the Clown, (they’re not a crew cause it’s just one person) .. said he has the story but has been sworn to secrecy … how convenient …. again ..

suppose it’s keeping his quota up ..

04 Dreaming

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yes I received the text and no I wont share it publicly. Less than 40 people received it in some form. Im not gonna leak it to a forum of thousands of vultures. I respect the sanctity of the situation and that I was fortunate enough to be privvy

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
All I see is Gus lying, again, thsi time to his player.
RFM is just saying the right things since he eeems to want to stay
If all you see is Gus then I would seek professional help.

And why does RFM want to stay in what you call a shit situation? If it was as bad as you pretend he should be running away.

He had an out and didn't take it.

Which makes your argument rubbish.

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He didn't have to brainwash him...all he had to do was offer him a clean slate, in exchange for some positive PR to get the club out from under the microscope. I'd imagine RFM wants to be playing footy, he doesn't want to be sitting at home collecting a pay cheque, or treated like a pariah at his own club. (I also believe he legitimately cares for the club and regrets not keeping it in house. Probably a bit naive on his part.

I haven't heard anything about RFM's manager asking for a retraction.... but he publicly and openly commented on the matter at the time, so I can't imagine what he might want retracted. He'd have every right to be pissed at Buzz for publicly naming RFM, if he spoke under condition of anonymity, though. I also can't imagine he would just take the media's word for something like that without having received direct communication from the club.

Can you explain to me what the club could possibly say to RFM that might lead to him incorrectly believing he is not welcome at training? Because that seems to be what he did believe at one point...and I sincerely doubt it was just put into his head by a journo. I can't imagine any words that would make a player feel they aren't welcome at training, except "don't come to training".

You honestly believe RFM just missed training for some other reason to spark the whole story, but neither he or his manager thought to check the situation with the club before the latter spoke publicly, despite knowing he had a legitimate reason to not be at training on the day?

I don't know where your duck analogy fits in, because there are plenty of aspects of this story that need to be clarified, IMO.
RFMs own words:

1702471087508.png

Blow your argument out of the water.

Unless you think he is lying.

The duck analogy is perfect, and this story has been clarified twice now.

How times will suit you 20? 30?

It was Professor X on the wresting mat with the mental block that forced the interview :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy:

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
RFMs own words:

View attachment 98316

Blow your argument out of the water.

Unless you think he is lying.

The duck analogy is perfect, and this story has been clarified twice now.

How times will suit you 20? 30?

It was Professor X on the wresting mat with the mental block that forced the interview :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy:
No, I don’t think it was Professor X, I think it was Gus… and yes, I think he is lying, but it’s a well intentioned lie to keep heat off the club. No use debating with you. You only see things your way and construe an orchestrated media appearance as fact. You are a waste of energy.