News Ezra Mam emerges as Dolphins top target amid Broncos salary cap crunch

Jackson_1994

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Dolphins are cashed-up and Wayne Bennett has his set his sights on Brisbane’s grand final hero Ezra Mam as part of a $3 million recruitment drive. The NRL super coach has put Mam at the top of his wish list after the Broncos star was awarded the Dally M five-eighth of the year on the back of a stellar season.

Mam hit the open market for 2025 and beyond earlier this month and Bennett has confirmed the Dolphins are keen to lure him to Redfern. He is the latest Brisbane player that the Dolphins have targeted, after poaching Herbie Farnworth and Tom Flegler this year and Bennett has made nabbing Mam his top priority.

He was the best player on the ground in the grand final,” Bennett said. “If he comes onto the market, we would certainly be interested. We have four halves who can play there, but Ezra is a quality player. There is a lot of upside in him.

“For a guy like Ezra, there’s probably eight other clubs too who are keen, so it does become challenging to get a guy like that. But if he is available, we’ll be in the mix. We’ve signed three or four guys from the Broncos. I’m not looking at what club a guy is at, I’m just looking at whether a player has the qualities we need and Ezra can certainly add something to us.”

The Dolphins have the bulk of their foundation contracts expiring in the next two years, with 12 players coming off-contract at the end of the 2024 season, freeing up about $3 million in salary cap space. Dolphins CEO Terry Reader told The Courier Mail the club will look to strengthen its roster and Mam is at the top of their list of targets.

We are always interested in quality players like Ezra that will add something to the Dolphins and have been deliberate in our recruitment strategy since day one,” Reader said. “We have signed three outstanding players in Tom Flegler, Herbie Farnworth and Jake Averillo for 2024 and beyond and we are very optimistic about the younger players in our squad, but also constantly looking to further improve our squad for the future.

“Our salary cap is in really good shape thanks to the patience we have shown in the recruitment market, and we are determined to make the Dolphins an even stronger team in years to come.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Fuck I hope Skeletor rips the donkeys apart to lose Flegler, Farnsworth, and if they secure mam that's some talent to walk out of the club in the space of 2 seasons
That’s probably one of the better things about having the dolphins in the comp. Brisbane finally has some direct competition for the stacked junior talent they have in the area

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Mam's manager is OS at the moment, hearing it's a 4 deal.

Not saying which team, but hearing he put pen to paper awhile ago.
Would 100% be Broncos, aint no way he leaves his bum buddy Walsh

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I really hope they sign him, he looks like he belongs in redcliffe

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I doubt he goes anywhere else. He and Walsh have a deadly combo. It'd be a monumental fuck up by the Broncos if they didn't re-sign him. He'll be the best 5/8th in the comp soon. He might be close to it already..

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The Dolphins are cashed-up and Wayne Bennett has his set his sights on Brisbane’s grand final hero Ezra Mam as part of a $3 million recruitment drive. The NRL super coach has put Mam at the top of his wish list after the Broncos star was awarded the Dally M five-eighth of the year on the back of a stellar season.

Mam hit the open market for 2025 and beyond earlier this month and Bennett has confirmed the Dolphins are keen to lure him to Redfern. He is the latest Brisbane player that the Dolphins have targeted, after poaching Herbie Farnworth and Tom Flegler this year and Bennett has made nabbing Mam his top priority.

He was the best player on the ground in the grand final,” Bennett said. “If he comes onto the market, we would certainly be interested. We have four halves who can play there, but Ezra is a quality player. There is a lot of upside in him.

“For a guy like Ezra, there’s probably eight other clubs too who are keen, so it does become challenging to get a guy like that. But if he is available, we’ll be in the mix. We’ve signed three or four guys from the Broncos. I’m not looking at what club a guy is at, I’m just looking at whether a player has the qualities we need and Ezra can certainly add something to us.”

The Dolphins have the bulk of their foundation contracts expiring in the next two years, with 12 players coming off-contract at the end of the 2024 season, freeing up about $3 million in salary cap space. Dolphins CEO Terry Reader told The Courier Mail the club will look to strengthen its roster and Mam is at the top of their list of targets.

We are always interested in quality players like Ezra that will add something to the Dolphins and have been deliberate in our recruitment strategy since day one,” Reader said. “We have signed three outstanding players in Tom Flegler, Herbie Farnworth and Jake Averillo for 2024 and beyond and we are very optimistic about the younger players in our squad, but also constantly looking to further improve our squad for the future.

“Our salary cap is in really good shape thanks to the patience we have shown in the recruitment market, and we are determined to make the Dolphins an even stronger team in years to come.
The dolphins are keen to lure him to Redfern??? Who proof reads this shit?!!!

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

I stopped reading at REDFERN station :laughing:

Gene Krupa

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

The Brisbane Broncos have locked in five-eighth Ezra Mam until the end of 2027.

The deal is reported to be worth three million over four seasons.

There was plenty of interest in the 20 year old after a huge breakout 2023 season. Kids an absolute gun and suits the Broncos playing style well. Great retention.

Attachments

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He was never leaving Brisbane.. But if that's true, 750k is massive unders for Mam. He's worth $1 million easily in the current market and based on his form and future potential..

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Mam's defence is truly shit house, missed over 110 tackles last season, just abysmal. I expect next season that every coach will be instructing players to target him, there will 2nd rowers and centres running at him constantly. Plus there's no Farnworth or Flegler or Capewell to protect him. I know it's not technically his 2nd season (he played 13 games in 2022 and missed 56 tackles) but there is absolutely going to be 2nd season player action coming his way in 2024. Let's see how he survives now that he is no longer "under the radar".

Always a Bulldog

H-dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mam's defence is truly shit house, missed over 110 tackles last season, just abysmal. I expect next season that every coach will be instructing players to target him, there will 2nd rowers and centres running at him constantly. Plus there's no Farnworth or Flegler or Capewell to protect him. I know it's not technically his 2nd season (he played 13 games in 2022 and missed 56 tackles) but there is absolutely going to be 2nd season player action coming his way in 2024. Let's see how he survives now that he is no longer "under the radar".

Always a Bulldog
I think a lot will depend on how well Walsh plays, he gave mam a lot of space in attack by attracting defends will be interesting to see how much teams adapt to that and hold there defensive line more no as you say he is no longer under the radar