Expected finish to the season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karat

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So exactly why would you think it a miracle to make the 8? We have a side that was coached by KM for 3/4 of 2011 and inexperienced JD the rest and they finished equal 8th in 2011. What makes you think it will take much improvement to go 1 win better?This is what i didnt get about laurie Daleys predictions. Why pick us to go WORSE with a much better coach and more experienced playing group of much the same players with a few positive changes. Talking down your own teams hopes before a ball has been kicked in the season is pretty sad and i feel sorry for you ppl. Its more enjoyable to be positive until given a justifiable reason to be negative. We go 3w 7l after 10 rounds go for it, but until there's always lifeline if you get too depressed.
There is this thing called an opinion, and I seem to have one.....also I am being realistic....

Des is a great coach, but we simply don't have the players, that is why I think it will be a miracle

Our backline is **** ,our forwards get dominated in every game, and everyone hates our 5/8

half our team won't make the first grade side of any other NRL team..

Why do you think there will be a mass cleanount at the end of this year?

I am not the one that is going to be calling lifeline if we don't make the 8, maybe you should memorize the number

likeadoggy

Banned
Reaction score
There is this thing called an opinion, and I seem to have one.....also I am being realistic....

Des is a great coach, but we simply don't have the players, that is why I think it will be a miracle

Our backline is **** ,our forwards get dominated in every game, and everyone hates our 5/8

I am not the one that is going to be calling lifeline if we don't make the 8, maybe you should memorize the number
what's the basis . We have a better coach,better depth and quality in the forwards,didn't have a 5/8 last year either

nassman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dognacious is bang on, if we come out and lose 8 out of the first 10 games by all means throw in the towel but ffs untill then have a little hope lol. We've added a master coach, our squad while not amazing is definitely better than last year, the only player of note that's gone was bobcat and tbh the general consensus was that he probably played one season too many. Ennis is fit, I think some of you mite be underestimating his ability to organise our attack, as well as his tenacious defence around the ruck where we got dominated last year and his kicking game. Morris will be completely over his injuries, Jamal Sh|tris is gone and that's half of our missed tackles with him, and our forward pack is leaps and bounds ahead of what it was last year.

Scorpio

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
So what is everyone's top eight this year? Many of you have us finishing between 5 - 8 spot? Maybe this should be a new thread?

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score

There is this thing called "consistency", and there's another called "talent" ... also I am being realistic.

Des IS one of the better coaches, and it doesn't matter one iota how much talent you have when you pull on our jersey, as long as you're committed to playing 100% for each other. I've seen it time and time again, both with my own eyes, and in sporting teams I've contested in and against ... consistency is better than talent. I'd rather have 17 consistent guys, than 17 (occasionally) talented ones. - That's why I think it is reachable, and not the stuff of miracles.

Our backline is more than competitive considering how much we've spent (how much did Jamal go for at GC again ?). Our forwards have an injection of enthusiasm courtesy of Graham's arrival and are motivated to atone for the last two years in the semi-final wilderness. There is plenty to be excited about.

Half our team have played less than 100 NRL games, while 70% of them would EASILY make first grade squads of other teams (look at Roosters/Eels). Our 2nd-stringers regularly make the first grade team when they arrive at other clubs. It's a testament to our skilling, coaching and player preparation they they arrive as ready made footballing men.

And while you're looking, if you look around a bit more you'll see player movements are not uncommon. Some people up and leave mid season and start playing in other jerseys !!! - In our case appear accelerated due to the arrival of Des and his wish to implement his own agenda/style. It's expected. It's what we've paid him to come and do. From 2005-2008 we had a clear-out due to out-of-control egos. We'll probably have another in 2014-2016. It's not a sign of weakness. It is what it is.

I urge all of you "realists" to read this bit twice : In life there are always winters. Those periods of gloomy, dark, stormy conditions where every effort seems twice what it normally is. It happens in work/life, it happens with friends/relationships, it happens with everyday luck ... it's not just the weather I'm talking about. It could be sunny and beautiful outside, but you've never had to work so hard to be happy about it.

For us as Bulldogs fans, we're emerging from our metaphoric rugby league winter of a couple of seasons without finals, while we're still reeling from the shock it came so quickly after the metaphoric summer of 2009.

Here's my point : When the season of winter arrives, some people freeze to death, while other people ski - Which one would you rather be if the Bulldogs are 6-6 after 12 games ???

Karat

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is this thing called "consistency", and there's another called "talent" ... also I am being realistic.

Des IS one of the better coaches, and it doesn't matter one iota how much talent you have when you pull on our jersey, as long as you're committed to playing 100% for each other. I've seen it time and time again, both with my own eyes, and in sporting teams I've contested in and against ... consistency is better than talent. I'd rather have 17 consistent guys, than 17 (occasionally) talented ones. - That's why I think it is reachable, and not the stuff of miracles.

Our backline is more than competitive considering how much we've spent (how much did Jamal go for at GC again ?). Our forwards have an injection of enthusiasm courtesy of Graham's arrival and are motivated to atone for the last two years in the semi-final wilderness. There is plenty to be excited about.

Half our team have played less than 100 NRL games, while 70% of them would EASILY make first grade squads of other teams (look at Roosters/Eels). Our 2nd-stringers regularly make the first grade team when they arrive at other clubs. It's a testament to our skilling, coaching and player preparation they they arrive as ready made footballing men.

And while you're looking, if you look around a bit more you'll see player movements are not uncommon. Some people up and leave mid season and start playing in other jerseys !!! - In our case appear accelerated due to the arrival of Des and his wish to implement his own agenda/style. It's expected. It's what we've paid him to come and do. From 2005-2008 we had a clear-out due to out-of-control egos. We'll probably have another in 2014-2016. It's not a sign of weakness. It is what it is.

I urge all of you "realists" to read this bit twice : In life there are always winters. Those periods of gloomy, dark, stormy conditions where every effort seems twice what it normally is. It happens in work/life, it happens with friends/relationships, it happens with everyday luck ... it's not just the weather I'm talking about. It could be sunny and beautiful outside, but you've never had to work so hard to be happy about it.

For us as Bulldogs fans, we're emerging from our metaphoric rugby league winter of a couple of seasons without finals, while we're still reeling from the shock it came so quickly after the metaphoric summer of 2009.

Here's my point : When the season of winter arrives, some people freeze to death, while other people ski - Which one would you rather be if the Bulldogs are 6-6 after 12 games ???
Don't get me wrong CK, I will be at every game that it will be possible for me to get to, but I am not expecting too much this year.

Des' words, when he first came on board has stuck with me....he said "To be competitive", and honestly, I think that is the best we can hope for this season

I would love for people to sig me, at the end of this season, and for me to eat my words..

likeadoggy

Banned
Reaction score
we will see...

I hope I am wrong....
it makes no difference if you're right or wrong -
you said you're being a realist but what you are saying is against what logic would suggest considering where we finished last year.
So, what is the basis for you to have the opinion that in 2012 with more forward depth,the same backline and a better coach we will lose more games than 2011?
I'm curious.

Karat

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
it makes no difference if you're right or wrong -
you said you're being a realist but what you are saying is against what logic would suggest considering where we finished last year.
So, what is the basis for you to have the opinion that in 2012 with more forward depth,the same backline and a better coach we will lose more games than 2011?
I'm curious.
Ok mate

Once again, this is my opinion, and I hope I am wrong

here you go,

Because we don't have a good 5/8,
Turner is solid and that is about it,
Wright is a defensive turnstile, with bad handling, and god help us if he plays centre,
Lafai is still a rookie, and who knows whether or not he can adjust to playing on the other side,
jury is still out on Barba's defence, and bomb taking abilities,
Goodwin has no speed
Tolman gets dominated and never breaks the line, and his stats are misleading due to the amounts of minutes he plays
Who knows if Graham can adjust to the daily grind of the NRL, considering he has a dodgy back, and has only ever played in the super league
Stagg is a tackling machine, but we need more in a lock
Lett is defensively horrible, and is prone to brain snaps...
Halatau is injury prone

that is why mate

Karat

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
not to mention, that other teams have bolstered their squads, while we only bought

* and Englishman (Graham)
* a NSW Cup player (Gavet)
* and a player that hasn't played league in years (Macdougall)

likeadoggy

Banned
Reaction score
Ok mate

Once again, this is my opinion, and I hope I am wrong

here you go,

Because we don't have a good 5/8,
Turner is solid and that is about it,
Wright is a defensive turnstile, with bad handling, and god help us if he plays centre,
Lafai is still a rookie, and who knows whether or not he can adjust to playing on the other side,
jury is still out on Barba's defence, and bomb taking abilities,
Goodwin has no speed
Tolman gets dominated and never breaks the line, and his stats are misleading due to the amounts of minutes he plays
Who knows if Graham can adjust to the daily grind of the NRL, considering he has a dodgy back, and has only ever played in the super league
Stagg is a tackling machine, but we need more in a lock
Lett is defensively horrible, and is prone to brain snaps...
Halatau is injury prone

that is why mate
you make no sense mate, what you're saying just adds up to looking for problems and you could say the same bout any team going round. So just so you know what I mean mate what I'm asking you to do is make comparisons from last year that will make a negative difference.
Barba still scored more tries than anyone and you wouldn't change him.
Tolman laughed at us all year,
there is nothing at all to suggest Graham won't make it you're just looking for drama,
Lafai is being pinged for something he hasn't even done yet and Goodwin was a slug last year as well. So, based on what we KNOW and not what we pull out of our ass, why would you honestly believe we will lose more games than last year.?? We all know the deficiancies but how you tie them in to us having a worse year is what is confusing me

the way I see it Barba has a year under his belt,Morris is back,Tolman has some help now,good young backrowers ready to go,Halatau the fittest he's been for ages,Hodko back under Des,Lett looking more dangerous than last year already and a coach who knows what he's doing. Logic would suggest we don't lose more games than the previous year and you can't say otherwise based on anything. Are you Laurie Daley?

Karat

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
you make no sense mate, what you're saying just adds up to looking for problems and you could say the same bout any team going round. So just so you know what I mean mate what I'm asking you to do is make comparisons from last year that will make a negative difference.
Barba still scored more tries than anyone and you wouldn't change him.
Tolman laughed at us all year,
there is nothing at all to suggest Graham won't make it you're just looking for drama,
Lafai is being pinged for something he hasn't even done yet and Goodwin was a slug last year as well. So, based on what we KNOW and not what we pull out of our ass, why would you honestly believe we will lose more games than last year.?? We all know the deficiancies but how you tie them in to us having a worse year is what is confusing me

the way I see it Barba has a year under his belt,Morris is back,Tolman has some help now,good young backrowers ready to go,Halatau the fittest he's been for ages,Hodko back under Des,Lett looking more dangerous than last year already and a coach who knows what he's doing. Logic would suggest we don't lose more games than the previous year and you can't say otherwise based on anything. Are you Laurie Daley?
kudos to you for being optimistic

why do you care so much about what I think? it is only my humble opinion

It doesn't matter what happened at the back end of last year, I am looking at this season, and the fact is that we are short of two quality wingers, a 5/8 and a centre

I'm not here to cause trouble, but my opinion is if we finish 8th, we have had a good season

bert

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No way we'll make the final eight without a class five-eighth !!!

likeadoggy

Banned
Reaction score
kudos to you for being optimistic

why do you care so much about what I think? it is only my humble opinion

It doesn't matter what happened at the back end of last year, I am looking at this season, and the fact is that we are short of two quality wingers, a 5/8 and a centre

I'm not here to cause trouble, but my opinion is if we finish 8th, we have had a good season
I do care Karat,I do care....lol. I don't think you're here to cause trouble at all mate I was just really curious how u and others somehow think,quite strongly that we won't make the 8 this year..

I just don't get it considering last years result and we have the same problems as last year re wingers,5/8 but we are stronger in other areas. To me it just doesn't make sense and I am curious as to the thinking behind it thats all. People say we can't make the 8 because of our 5/8 problems but we were THE SAME last year and missed on for and against???

TJW

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
at the start of 2011 titans fans could have said "no way will we be getting the wooden spoon, we finished top 4 in 2010" stop comparing to last year. just because you finished 9th (on for and against) last year means sh1t this year

for my predictions i compare squads for the current season. and i think a lot of the other squads have developed, got stronger and have more of a chance to make the 8 than the dogs do in 2012. all you guys did was get a prop and a new coach this year, your main problems are in the backline

likeadoggy

Banned
Reaction score
at the start of 2011 titans fans could have said "no way will we be getting the wooden spoon, we finished top 4 in 2010" stop comparing to last year. just because you finished 9th (on for and against) last year means sh1t this year

for my predictions i compare squads for the current season. and i think a lot of the other squads have developed, got stronger and have more of a chance to make the 8 than the dogs do in 2012. all you guys did was get a prop and a new coach this year, your main problems are in the backline
and the titans fans would have been correct in thinking they wouldn't get the spoon. nobody is saying what you are, only to explain the thinking behind it that's all. nobody has a crystal ball ffs but opinion is usually based on fact and the fact is that there is nothing to suggest we should finish worse off in 2012 than 2011. Anybody with a brain imo can see that.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Ok mate Once again, this is my opinion, and I hope I am wronghere you go, Because we don't have a good 5/8, Turner is solid and that is about it,Wright is a defensive turnstile, with bad handling, and god help us if he plays centre,Lafai is still a rookie, and who knows whether or not he can adjust to playing on the other side, jury is still out on Barba's defence, and bomb taking abilities,Goodwin has no speedTolman gets dominated and never breaks the line, and his stats are misleading due to the amounts of minutes he playsWho knows if Graham can adjust to the daily grind of the NRL, considering he has a dodgy back, and has only ever played in the super leagueStagg is a tackling machine, but we need more in a lockLett is defensively horrible, and is prone to brain snaps...Halatau is injury pronethat is why mate
You answer a lot of posts but you still havent answered the question a few of us asked. You waffle on about having an opinion and all this stuff that was the same or worse in 2011, and expect no improvement with a top coach, better forward pack, same backline and no negative loss over the offseason. I think Idris was lazy and good when he wanted to. Not always when the team needed him to. Ryan was due to retire. What else happened that will push us backwards from last year? Answer the question or your "opinion" as you call it is fluff or trolling.

Izzy Forreal

Much Loved Bulldogs Member
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Where are the Bulldogs going to finish in 2012? You know what, I dont't know exactly where but threy'll go okay. Being a Bulldgs fan has never been a precise science but if we make a comparison between 2011 and 2012 logic says they have to go better than last season.

Coach: 2011 - Kevin Moore... sacked. 2012 - Des Hasler... one of the best

BACKLINE: Fullback - brilliant attacking player who made a huge improvement in defusing bombs when JD was coach
Wingers - not brilliant but very capable players in that position
Centres - potentially one of the best centre pairings in the NRL - Losing Jamal Idris is a huge plus
Five Eighth - undecided although we have a couple of good players in line with a top coach to make the choice
Half Back - Hodko will make a major improvement under Des Hasler

FORWARDS: A tough hard crew who have good footballing skills with State of Origin hooker The Mennis as a captain who will lead from the front

Being realistic, if all our forwards are fit and injury free they will be the big difference between 2010, 2011 and this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.