News EXCLUSIVE: Phil Gould tees off on NRL's 'ridiculous' scheduling that has burned Bulldogs

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Canterbury football boss Phil Gould has teed off on the NRL's scheduling department for failing to give his team enough time between games.

The Bulldogs won a golden point thriller over North Queensland on Sunday night, and will back up to play South Sydney on Good Friday at 4.05pm.

The issue has been exacerbated by a casualty ward that is overflowing at Belmore, with the club having 10 players on the injured list this week.

Each club must name a 22-player squad on Tuesday, but senior lists are limited to 30 contracts, plus development players. Clubs can apply to the NRL for exemption if they are unable to name 22 fit players.

"We've got a lot of players out, but we've been that way pretty much most of the season, and we had some more injuries the other night," Gould told Wide World of Sports' Six Tackles with Gus podcast.

"It's a very short turnaround. We go from playing the last game on Sunday night to Friday afternoon.

"It's a four-day recovery, it's ridiculous.

"People want to talk about welfare, and the RLPA want to argue about time off during the holidays. What about this?

"We've got the two teams that played Sunday night having to back up and play on Friday.

"What sort of scheduling is that compared to everyone else? And why does that happen?"

Phil Gould has fired up after Marata Niukore, Dale Finucane and Jayden Okunbor were charged for hip-drop tackles in round five.
The Cowboys have also copped a short turnaround and will play the Dolphins in the 8pm Friday game.

Canterbury coach Cameron Ciraldo has named Max King (eye) and Jacob Preston (hand) in the team despite both being injured on Sunday.

Gould admits the club isn't sure whether either will be ready to play the Rabbitohs.

"They really will only have had one light session between the game the other night... we probably won't know the team until Friday morning," Gould said.

"Particularly where we are at the moment with so many injury concerns, it limits the amount of time there is for others to recover."

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Did he say something when the draw was 1st released
If he didn't publicly complain, when the draw was released, it could be that he wouldnt have factored in the horrendous injury toll we currently have and the stress and fatigue that these reserve grade players, and our depleted f/g forwards, are toiling under just to try and compete.

Realisticly the draw is a fail if players are expected to compete on a level playing field when hampered by uncompetitive scheduling compared to saloon passages other teams like Broncs seem to get.

I'm with Gus on this but bc he didnt complain about the upcoming 9 day break so he must he wrong to point out the 4 day turnaround :grinning:

Last edited:

Gene Krupa

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If he didn't publicly complain, when the draw was released, it could be that he wouldnt have factored in the horrendous injury toll we currently have and the stress and fatigue that these reserve grade players, and our depleted f/g forwards, are toiling under just to try and compete.

Realisticly the draw is a fail if players are expected to compete on a level playing field when hampered by uncompetitive scheduling compared to saloon passages other teams like Broncs seem to get.

I'm with Gus on this but he didnt complain about the upcoming 9 day break so he must he wrong to point out the 4 day turnaround.
Whether there are injuries or not, it's still hard on the players with a short turnaround. I have read, that the Broncos complain they get mainly Friday games. They have requested Sunday arvo, but the NRL & 9 think, they are rating winners for them. So no Sunday games for them.

Gene Krupa

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
You just dont like Gus whether he looked like Chris Hemsworth or Margot Robbie lol ;)
Why should I, he blocked me on twitter for saying he needs new jokes. Also I can't stand Chris Hemsworth. Gus would look quite funny if he looked like Margot Robbie.

Last edited:

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Why should I, he blocked me on twitter for saying he needs new jokes. Also I can't stand Chris Hemsworth. Gus would look quite funny if her looked like Margot Robbie.
Just thought Margot may appeal more than either Gus or Thor :grinning:

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
He’s right. And as we all know nrl is a joke !!!

NoChance

Waterboy
Reaction score
Parra played three teams in a row comming off byes. I know it sucks but every team will probably face these similar circumstances throughout the year

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The logical solution would have been to swap Cows v Dogs & Raiders v Panthers when the draw was being done