News EXCLUSIVE: Phil Gould reveals surprise Josh Addo-Carr call amid injury drama

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Phil Gould has revealed Josh Addo-Carr is hopeful of lining up for the Bulldogs on Friday night, despite suffering a shoulder injury in the opening round.

The 28-year-old failed to finish the game against the Eels, with a suspected AC joint injury hampering the speedster in Canterbury's first-up loss.

Addo-Carr had revealed initial fears of a broken collarbone, which was ultimately ruled out following scans, but wasn't expected to play against the Sharks this week.

However, in a surprising move, Cameron Ciraldo named the NSW Origin star in the extended squad, with the club's head of football explaining the circumstances during the latest episode of Wide World of Sports' Six Tackles With Gus.

"The coach said yesterday that he's asked to play and he still thinks he is a chance of playing," Gould revealed on his weekly podcast.

"I think they picked the team with the thought he was gonna be out, but they've chucked him on the bench just in case.

"I would think it's unlikely and it would be in his best interests to have a week off, just to get it to 100 per cent, but he's a bit like that, The Foxx.

"He's rung the coach and said 'no I'm still keen to go around'. It's a short week - they will probably sort it out."

Addo-Carr missed a significant portion of the 2023 campaign for the Dogs due to an ankle issue, but will be key to any potential success the side has this year.

New recruit Connor Tracey has been named to replace Addo-Carr on the wing, with Bronson Xerri's return to the NRL put on the back-burner for another week.

The clash between Canterbury and Cronulla kicks off at 6pm on Friday night.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
And the shit CC copped on here for leaving the fox on last week.
Was based on observing Fox unable to move his arm/shoulder and catching the ball with the use of one arm only. Right or wrong, whether Fox is a soft or a primeadonna, as some suggested, that's what we all saw out there lol.

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can’t see dogs struggling all year,
The answer is their to unlock our team but ciraldo needs to hurry and get a move on and not waste our whole season in doing so,also he needs to drop the under performers rather than showing more royalty than the king and queen.
Sometimes his favouritism makes me sick .
I liked Kurt mann from the parramatta game,biggest concern moving forward

1)Reed Mahooney and his service he is a shadow of the player he was at parramatta seems to be used as a speed hump I have concerns for his welfare,

2)Burton if he was any more transparent on the footy field he would be invisible and would be better suited being a magician,a player with immense untapped potential and bings me to point 3.

3)Ciraldo so much promise was made about this guy and yet when I watch the game I can’t but doubt to think how it seems everyone has seemed to regressed under this guy or end up with an injury at training .
How many players have we got with grand final experience ? 9 someone said,I do know better results will be expected and I figure toby sexton should be in 13 otherwise it’s a long 2024.

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can’t see dogs struggling all year,
The answer is their to unlock our team but ciraldo needs to hurry and get a move on and not waste our whole season in doing so,also he needs to drop the under performers rather than showing more royalty than the king and queen.
Sometimes his favouritism makes me sick .
I liked Kurt mann from the parramatta game,biggest concern moving forward

1)Reed Mahooney and his service he is a shadow of the player he was at parramatta seems to be used as a speed hump I have concerns for his welfare,

2)Burton if he was any more transparent on the footy field he would be invisible and would be better suited being a magician,a player with immense untapped potential and bings me to point 3.

3)Ciraldo so much promise was made about this guy and yet when I watch the game I can’t but doubt to think how it seems everyone has seemed to regressed under this guy or end up with an injury at training .
How many players have we got with grand final experience ? 9 someone said,I do know better results will be expected and I figure toby sexton should be in 13 otherwise it’s a long 2024.
problem is we will struggle. He hasn’t learnt. I reckon if he doesn’t drop either hutch or taafe after rd 5, he hasn’t learnt, the season is wasted and he’ll get the bullet by rd 10

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Let's give it a few more rounds.
If Burton had landed those conversions, we would have been looking at 12-20 against Parra with time, and confidence, to pull the score back further.
An even possession count, instead of 70/30 Parra's way, and it's a totally different game.

The team is better than last season, and will improve in time.

We won't beat the Sharks, but should come out harder and more determined than last week.

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
problem is we will struggle. He hasn’t learnt. I reckon if he doesn’t drop either hutch or taafe after rd 5, he hasn’t learnt, the season is wasted and he’ll get the bullet by rd 10
Beggining to think we won’t win a comp until ciraldo and Phil Gould leave just like why happened at Penrith.
It seems like more careers end rather than flourish at the bulldogs.

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let's give it a few more rounds.
If Burton had landed those conversions, we would have been looking at 12-20 against Parra with time, and confidence, to pull the score back further.
An even possession count, instead of 70/30 Parra's way, and it's a totally different game.

The team is better than last season, and will improve in time.

We won't beat the Sharks, but should come out harder and more determined than last week.
I’m hoping for improvement not regression and get worse ,I’m concerned also as wet weather is forecast ,anyway it is what it is.
Hopefully Blake Taffe is man of the match scores two and sets up another 2 tries.
Dreams are

Wearnze

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sick of people saying ciraldo needs to drop taafe and Hutchison. They’ve played 1 game for us. They need to be given a chance.

The problem is and has been the service and team management of Mahoney and Burton. I’d love one to be dropped or benched for a week as a big wake up call.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I’m hoping for improvement not regression and get worse ,I’m concerned also as wet weather is forecast ,anyway it is what it is.
Hopefully Blake Taffe is man of the match scores two and sets up another 2 tries.
Dreams are
Improvement was there to be seen last week, if we dropped the ball 13 times and gave away 59% possession, Parra would have put 40+ on us last year…. We defended multiple sets on our line last week, it was 3 tries to 2 before a last minute loose ball allowed Parra to get their 4th try.

We couldn’t defend our line period in 2023, paper thin everywhere.

Another tough ask this week away at Cronulla but, I’d like to see how we go with even share possession.

PeteHazz

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Nice to have players pushing to get back early. Let the medical staff decide, but players desperate to get back on the field and play for their mates?

I'm ok with that

As for not enough changes, you don't throw out the whole engine when your car backfires. You work one thing out at a time till you fix it. I want changes too, but I don't know the gameplan. I'm certain if Taffe fails, it's Tracey. CC won' be so timid this year, now there are at least some options. In the meantime, Taffe's there for a reason.

Our edges were so brittle last year that I'll finally call for CC's head if he plays Critta at fullback. We need starchy edges with our pack. Play Tracey at FB, blast out the cobbwebs of your attacking play and either go Hutch or Sexton once you've decided.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
As soon as I saw him named in the number 23 (MJ the Goat) I had a sneaky suspicion he was playing

if you watch the Kiraz interview he must be a bad poker player cos he mentions Fox might play (reporter didn’t pick up on it) then when talking about Tracey he waxed lyrical before saying “if he plays”

Hmmmm

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Was based on observing Fox unable to move his arm/shoulder and catching the ball with the use of one arm only. Right or wrong, whether Fox is a soft or a primeadonna, as some suggested, that's what we all saw out there lol.
Exactly. All fans and commentators were aware of it. When tackled near the sideline while already injured he looked in agony. I thought he'd actually already signalled to be replaced but hadn't. Seemed there was potential for more damage. Everyone noticed but Ciraldo it seems. During the presser he said he wasn't aware it was so bad until half time. Maybe he needs to watch the back play a bit more.