News EXCLUSIVE: Phil Gould lashes Trent Robinson's Suaalii defence as war of words erupts

JadeW

Waterboy
Reaction score
EXCLUSIVE: Phil Gould lashes Trent Robinson's Suaalii defence as war of words erupts
Simon Brunsdon headshot
By Simon Brunsdon

Roosters coach bites back at Gould

WATCH AND READ

Play Video

Phil Gould has refused to back down from explosive comments about Joseph Suaalii's rugby defection, despite copping heat from Roosters coach Trent Robinson.
Gould caused a stir on Monday night when he told Suaalii on Nine's 100% Footy: "Go now. Don't let the door hit you on the arse on the way out. See ya later," in response to the 19-year-old signing a Rugby Australia deal that begins in 2024.
Suaalii remains contracted to the Chooks until the end of next year, and on Wednesday his coach went into bat for him.

"It was a ridiculous comment," Robinson said in response to Gould.
"That was a guy looking after another club (the Bulldogs), (making) a ridiculous comment to say about Joey and what he would do.

"He can stick to his turf and we'll stick to ours and how we want to deal with it.
A war of words has erupted between Roosters coach Trent Robinson and Phil Gould. (Getty)
"It showed a fair bit of fear for me about another code. I really like rugby union and it's OK to say that as a league guy.
https://paid.outbrain.com/network/r...BAkFyjNX2DB7GWSYDJh_yJhz6gPLLY&c=f40718f6&v=4
"We're going to produce players, so don't come out with fearful comments about other codes. Respect both sides of it."

The Robinson comments were put to Gould during Wide World of Sports' Six Tackles with Gus podcast.
"You mistake me for someone who cares what he says," Gould said.

"He can only stick up for his player, and he's got to build a relationship with the player because he's got another 18 months.
"I fear nothing, and I fear no one, so I don't know what he's talking about there.
Gus fires back at Robinson's 'fear' comments

Play Video
"It is, it's a competition between the codes. You can't get away from that fact.
"I don't care that Trent Robinson loves rugby. I don't love rugby, I don't even watch rugby. I have no interest in it whatsoever."
When Gould had the chance to walk back on his "go now" comments, he instead doubled down and went further into his opinion on the matter

"I think it's a kick in the guts for the Roosters, I really do, and I think they'll be quite upset about it on the inside," he said.
"It means nothing to me, but I'm quite sure it will be a kick in the guts for the people there who have nurtured him and brought him through.
"They can stand there at a press conference and pontificate and shoot the messenger. But the messenger didn't do it, Joseph did.

"What I do have is a concern that when this happens it's an incentive for other players to want to do the same. It's going to blow our market out of the water too. We can't afford to be paying those sort of players $1.6 million (a year).
"Which means, what do we do with these fellas? Do we keep them in the system and spend our time... only to see them, even before they've reached the peak of their career, jump over there because they've got the money to do it?
"I don't want (the NRL) to be a feeder system to anything else. But I've predicted this all along.
"We've got some outstanding young players, we've spent a lot of money, a lot of time, put a lot of emotional effort into the development of young players. It's my passion.
"What I don't want is them thinking, 'Ok that's a stepping stone, because at 21 or 22 when I've made my name I can go and get myself a couple million dollars in rugby'.
"Don't be using rugby league as a stepping stone to that. I don't like that, and I don't believe anyone would."

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
NRL should have something in contracts where a player can't sign for a Rugby club while contracted. At worst 12 months before like club to club in the NRL (ideally can't sign for Rugby at all). If a player won't agree with that they can go play Rugby before they sign a NRL contract. It's in the games best interest for Suaalii to go now (all we're going to hear about during games and in the media is he's going to Rugby - free publicity for Rugby). It's in Rooster best interest to keep him as it's going to get them the best results now + when he returns he'll be a Rooster again if their relationship stays strong. This should of been dealt with ages ago.

Glenn L

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bet they are running around like crazy to get Dom Young over now and show this bloke the door. Show me any loyal fan or player that would really want this bloke at the club now. Nobody in power there will say it of course.

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Look For Gus to have a hands on role at training prior to our round 14 match V the Dirty Birds as he did last year when he showed up both Barrett & the Roosters with that spirited win.

He will be doing everything in his power to make this game personal now V's the Rugby loving Roosters coach Robinson now that he calledhim out.

I've never been able to cop listening to the dribble that comes out Robinson's mouth before this, I just can't cop the guy.

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Look For Gus to have a hands on role at training prior to our round 14 match V the Dirty Birds as he did last year when he showed up both Barrett & the Roosters with that spirited win.

He will be doing everything in his power to make this game personal now V's the Rugby loving Roosters coach Robinson now that he calledhim out.

I've never been able to cop listening to the dribble that comes out Robinson's mouth before this, I just can't cop the guy.
He will probably have a hands on role at all training sessions from now.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I dunno. The fact is you play to a contract. If Suaalii fulfills his contract he hasnt done anything wrong.
Years invested is like any other job.
Is he not allowed to change careers without Gus giving him shit for it?
Anyways if its such a concern, surely its up to the NRL to do something about securing its assets.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
EXCLUSIVE: Phil Gould lashes Trent Robinson's Suaalii defence as war of words erupts
Simon Brunsdon headshot
By Simon Brunsdon

WATCH AND READ

Play Video

Phil Gould has refused to back down from explosive comments about Joseph Suaalii's rugby defection, despite copping heat from Roosters coach Trent Robinson.
Gould caused a stir on Monday night when he told Suaalii on Nine's 100% Footy: "Go now. Don't let the door hit you on the arse on the way out. See ya later," in response to the 19-year-old signing a Rugby Australia deal that begins in 2024.
Suaalii remains contracted to the Chooks until the end of next year, and on Wednesday his coach went into bat for him.

"It was a ridiculous comment," Robinson said in response to Gould.
"That was a guy looking after another club (the Bulldogs), (making) a ridiculous comment to say about Joey and what he would do.

"He can stick to his turf and we'll stick to ours and how we want to deal with it.
A war of words has erupted between Roosters coach Trent Robinson and Phil Gould. (Getty)
"It showed a fair bit of fear for me about another code. I really like rugby union and it's OK to say that as a league guy.
https://paid.outbrain.com/network/r...BAkFyjNX2DB7GWSYDJh_yJhz6gPLLY&c=f40718f6&v=4
"We're going to produce players, so don't come out with fearful comments about other codes. Respect both sides of it."

The Robinson comments were put to Gould during Wide World of Sports' Six Tackles with Gus podcast.
"You mistake me for someone who cares what he says," Gould said.

"He can only stick up for his player, and he's got to build a relationship with the player because he's got another 18 months.
"I fear nothing, and I fear no one, so I don't know what he's talking about there.

Play Video
"It is, it's a competition between the codes. You can't get away from that fact.
"I don't care that Trent Robinson loves rugby. I don't love rugby, I don't even watch rugby. I have no interest in it whatsoever."
When Gould had the chance to walk back on his "go now" comments, he instead doubled down and went further into his opinion on the matter

"I think it's a kick in the guts for the Roosters, I really do, and I think they'll be quite upset about it on the inside," he said.
"It means nothing to me, but I'm quite sure it will be a kick in the guts for the people there who have nurtured him and brought him through.
"They can stand there at a press conference and pontificate and shoot the messenger. But the messenger didn't do it, Joseph did.

"What I do have is a concern that when this happens it's an incentive for other players to want to do the same. It's going to blow our market out of the water too. We can't afford to be paying those sort of players $1.6 million (a year).
"Which means, what do we do with these fellas? Do we keep them in the system and spend our time... only to see them, even before they've reached the peak of their career, jump over there because they've got the money to do it?
"I don't want (the NRL) to be a feeder system to anything else. But I've predicted this all along.
"We've got some outstanding young players, we've spent a lot of money, a lot of time, put a lot of emotional effort into the development of young players. It's my passion.
"What I don't want is them thinking, 'Ok that's a stepping stone, because at 21 or 22 when I've made my name I can go and get myself a couple million dollars in rugby'.
"Don't be using rugby league as a stepping stone to that. I don't like that, and I don't believe anyone would."
Plain and simple...
Robinson cares only about the Rorters,
Gus cares about rugby league in general,
Employed by a media outlet Gus has the right to give his opinion on the matter, as an employee of another club he should be careful and political on how he expresses his opinion,
The question is, would Robinson have said anything if Gus wasn't employed by us ?
How does the Rorters feel about RUGBY YAWNING steeling away their prized talent ?
The sombrero that helped them steel other clubs talents this time failed to save them.
Most importantly, as a result will uncle Nick come for Alamoti ?

Last edited:

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Gus is right… close the door..rugby only has the league pool to draw on…why use our pool for marketing another sport… still may not even make them competitive… imagine if they want halfbacks like whiten
We stole him from union lol

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Turf war aye?? What's your Turf Trent?

Cosmo24

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
One heart throb having a go at another heart throb’s comments.
Just mid week “news”