News EXCLUSIVE: How Bulldogs erred in Kyle Flanagan's first setback after Roosters axing

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Bulldogs should never have put an emotional Kyle Flanagan in front of the media on the day that he was dropped, NRL great and NSW coach Brad Fittler says.

In doing so, Canterbury highlighted the gap between a strong and a lesser club, Freddy suggested. However, former Bulldogs premiership-winning coach Phil Gould lauded Flanagan's courage in speaking out and backed him for success in the NRL.

Flanagan was near tears while speaking with reporters on Tuesday, reflecting on being 'hooked' during a loss to the Dragons, plus the huge influence on his career of his father, NRL title-winning coach Shane Flanagan. The young halfback's omission for Saturday's clash against the Raiders was confirmed later that day.

Bulldogs chief executive Aaron Warburton said that Flanagan was being supported by the club; yet also admitted to The Sydney Morning Herald that he was unsure if the 22-year-old had been told of his axing before or after the media appearance.

"It's most probably a lesson to Canterbury. I still haven't seen (Roosters teenage star) Joseph Suaalii in front of a camera yet," Fittler said on Wide World of Sports' Freddy and the Eighth.

"There's a real time of pressure at the moment. Don't put him up, if you don't need to. He hasn't had that much [media] practice."

Gould said that Flanagan had been brave to step in front of the cameras at such a difficult time, having assured Canterbury officials that he was OK to do so. He was also dropped mid-season by the Roosters last year, before being dumped by the club at season's end; a fate that shocked him and left him with plenty to prove in his Canterbury stint.

Gould said that Flanagan had clearly just been a stop-gap player for the Roosters, despite decent performances in his only season at the club, and was understandably finding things harder in a vastly inferior Bulldogs team. It has been a steep learning curve for the young No.7.

"That's all pretty tough for people to watch, people say, 'Well, why did they put him up in front of the camera. These are things sometimes kids have got to go through." Gould said on his Six Tackles with Gus podcast.

"It mightn't have been the right week to put him up in front of the camera but it shows the personality and the character of the kid. He took it head-on, I don't think he's running away from what's happening at the moment.

"He is a victim of the Bulldogs, the Bulldogs are not a victim of Kyle Flanagan. We saw him perform greatly for the Roosters last year. They made a decision to move him and we've all seen why they made that decision; because Sam Walker's appeared on the scene.

"They had a succession plan in place for Cooper Cronk, they just needed someone to do it for 12 months until Sam Walker was ready and they felt he was ready, so they needed to move on that because Sam Walker's coming off contract. They couldn't have Kyle Flanagan there for another year and Sam Walker playing reserve grade, or Kyle Flanagan playing reserve grade. It makes more sense now why the Roosters did what they did.

"The Bulldogs picked up a 21-year-old halfback who's now 22, still very, very young in his career. Players being benched or dropped at this stage of their career is part of the process, it's not the end of your career, it's part of the building of your career and the building of a person."

Gould said that Barrett would have carefully considered the impact of pulling Flanagan during the Dragons game. He said that the former Test playmaker was an outstanding halves coach who was working with Flanagan well before his prime years.

"Trent Barrett wouldn't make that decision lightly. He was a half himself. He would not make that decision lightly but he obviously feels he needs some thinking time, he needs some breathing time," Gould said.

"Whether that means going back and playing reserve grade for a few weeks and building his confidence; I don't know that missing football's going to do him any good, he needs to play football.

"The first thing that happens is, when Kyle Flanagan goes back to play reserve grade, you see that he's too good for reserve grade. He's a standout half back in reserve grade. He's an NRL player and he will be a very good NRL player.

"Halfbacks don't reach their peak until they're 26, 27. Honestly, they don't, so he's still halfway through his early development. I wouldn't see this as a setback, I'd just see it as part of the process.

"I thought he was very brave to give the interview that he did. Obviously when you start talking about family and the influence or your father, and him probably at the time feeling as though he's let someone down with his performances, it just got a little bit too much for him.

"But that's a strength of character. He put himself out in front of the cameras; there are plenty that hide, there are plenty that don't, so all kudos to him.

"And I know Trent Barrett wouldn't make that decision lightly. He would not do that to a kid, because he was a young footballer himself and a young halfback who was scrutinised. I just think it's part of his development.

"I know Kyle Flanagan will bounce back, no risk in the world."
Just a reminder for everyone. Anyone aged 22 is NOT a kid, they are an adult.
Turvey was 19 when he ripped our first grade side apart in the Amco cup in the 70's. Baa was 19 when he debuted in first grade for Wests and an instant success. Those legends didn't need babysitting like the p#ssies in our current team.
There are kids aged 16 who show more maturity and work ethic than the players in our team. Those kids are earning $10 per hour working in dangerous environments like deep fryers at fast food kitchens or meat mincers at butcher shops. One mistake and they can get 3rd degree burns or lose an arm or get killed.
I have several nephews and nieces under the age of 24 working 16+ hour shifts as medical interns in hospitals after 6 years at uni dealing with patients in critical conditions in ER and Flanno is earning more than 5 times than what they are on.
Stop making excuses for the many under performing players in our team. They are adults on huge salaries that the average man double their age can only dream of. They are vastly overpaid for what they produce on the field. They should spend more time on the training paddock and the gym and less time in the tattoo parlour and social media.

sifter6

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Why aren't they going to imply that the board gang raped his mum? It's not true but that doesn't mean they won't write it up and do a retraction later.
To be fair, Flanagan does have a 'Freddy Krueger' look about him (for those that know the Nightmare On Elm Street back story they will know why this post was linked to the one above).

sifter6

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Just a reminder for everyone. Anyone aged 22 is NOT a kid, they are an adult.
Turvey was 19 when he ripped our first grade side apart in the Amco cup in the 70's. Baa was 19 when he debuted in first grade for Wests and an instant success. Those legends didn't need babysitting like the p#ssies in our current team.
There are kids aged 16 who show more maturity and work ethic than the players in our team. Those kids are earning $10 per hour working in dangerous environments like deep fryers at fast food kitchens or meat mincers at butcher shops. One mistake and they can get 3rd degree burns or lose an arm or get killed.
I have several nephews and nieces under the age of 24 working 16+ hour shifts as medical interns in hospitals after 6 years at uni dealing with patients in critical conditions in ER and Flanno is earning more than 5 times than what they are on.
Stop making excuses for the many under performing players in our team. They are adults on huge salaries that the average man double their age can only dream of. They are vastly overpaid for what they produce on the field. They should spend more time on the training paddock and the gym and less time in the tattoo parlour and social media.
You are forgetting, the majority of young people are VERY precious these days!!! Life has treated them poorly. All those mean people on 'social media' making fun of their haircuts and sexuality.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Comparing an 18 yo who has never played NRL against a 22 yo in his 3rd year! Just typical and what can you expect from commentators still on the Roosters payroll.
Yep and the thing is — I’ve seen a media interview with Suaalii this year already....

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are forgetting, the majority of young people are VERY precious these days!!! Life has treated them poorly. All those mean people on 'social media' making fun of their haircuts and sexuality.
You're not wrong. Generation Z or whatever they call themselves are a bunch of wimps. Our education system has been dumbed down since the mid 90's to cater for the bottom of the barrel. Back in the 60's to early 90's if you wanted to study Medicine, Dentistry, Pharmacy or Engineering at Uni it was mandatory that you studied the hardest subjects, i.e Physics, Chemistry and a minimum of 3 Unit Maths (preferably 4) and entrance was based on your performance under pressure in the HSC exam. The do gooders in the education system thought that was too much pressure for young people so they scrapped those mandatory subjects and now you can study whatever mickey mouse subjects (basket weaving, advanced colouring in etc) you want to get inflated scores to get into those courses. Society will suffer in the end when people who couldn't do high school science and maths are put into positions of responsibility that requires that knowledge.
The same has happened with the standards in footy. A 22 year old is now a "kid". They must be dealt with softly with kids gloves. Pathetic.

Hulk76

Kennel Established
Reaction score
There wasn't as many articles as there is now when the roosters fukd him off. What a crock of shit. Marquee players get dropped for a lot less and there is barely a story.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Why is he a victim of the bulldogs ffs...we have thrown him a life line when he was rejected... this club has produced a few half backs in its time... without Phill Gould’s input...
I think he is saying that Flanno's poor performances are more attributable to where the team is at right now, rather than vice versa. And it is hard to disagree with this to be honest. If we can get some better players in the squad and Flanno gets a chance and the team wins some games and gains some confidence, we will see better performances.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Inaccurate comparison to the Flanno situation imo, although i advocate mental health issues dont discriminate according to annual salary or priveleges..not saying he has any at all but its not implausible.

As to what you said I think you meant to call this cyber bullying?..a serious and quite prevalent crime in its nastiest forms(multiple suicides occur within the fragile and mentally impaired youth of society you mention, whom are viciously and in packs sometimes attacked by keyboard tough *****)

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Bottom line is if the football manager does not make kyle available for the presser like he should have, none of this shit gets written. But once again we give these fuckwits all the ammo they need to put the slipper into us. Everyone knows we will never get an even hearing in the press, the fans,the CEO, all the way down to the fucking ball boy,Everyone. We need to get better as a club.

hackenbush

Kennel Established
Reaction score
With all the media hype on player welfare & management, spare a thought for Wakeham. He is younger than Flanagan, but will have all eyes on his performance. The media will be ' waiting for him to fail ', because that will make such a great follow up story.

I hoping he kills it on Saturday, both for the team & himself

Donkey Slayer

Banned
Reaction score
The Bulldogs should never have put an emotional Kyle Flanagan in front of the media on the day that he was dropped, NRL great and NSW coach Brad Fittler says.

In doing so, Canterbury highlighted the gap between a strong and a lesser club, Freddy suggested. However, former Bulldogs premiership-winning coach Phil Gould lauded Flanagan's courage in speaking out and backed him for success in the NRL.

Flanagan was near tears while speaking with reporters on Tuesday, reflecting on being 'hooked' during a loss to the Dragons, plus the huge influence on his career of his father, NRL title-winning coach Shane Flanagan. The young halfback's omission for Saturday's clash against the Raiders was confirmed later that day.

Bulldogs chief executive Aaron Warburton said that Flanagan was being supported by the club; yet also admitted to The Sydney Morning Herald that he was unsure if the 22-year-old had been told of his axing before or after the media appearance.

"It's most probably a lesson to Canterbury. I still haven't seen (Roosters teenage star) Joseph Suaalii in front of a camera yet," Fittler said on Wide World of Sports' Freddy and the Eighth.

"There's a real time of pressure at the moment. Don't put him up, if you don't need to. He hasn't had that much [media] practice."

Gould said that Flanagan had been brave to step in front of the cameras at such a difficult time, having assured Canterbury officials that he was OK to do so. He was also dropped mid-season by the Roosters last year, before being dumped by the club at season's end; a fate that shocked him and left him with plenty to prove in his Canterbury stint.

Gould said that Flanagan had clearly just been a stop-gap player for the Roosters, despite decent performances in his only season at the club, and was understandably finding things harder in a vastly inferior Bulldogs team. It has been a steep learning curve for the young No.7.

"That's all pretty tough for people to watch, people say, 'Well, why did they put him up in front of the camera. These are things sometimes kids have got to go through." Gould said on his Six Tackles with Gus podcast.

"It mightn't have been the right week to put him up in front of the camera but it shows the personality and the character of the kid. He took it head-on, I don't think he's running away from what's happening at the moment.

"He is a victim of the Bulldogs, the Bulldogs are not a victim of Kyle Flanagan. We saw him perform greatly for the Roosters last year. They made a decision to move him and we've all seen why they made that decision; because Sam Walker's appeared on the scene.

"They had a succession plan in place for Cooper Cronk, they just needed someone to do it for 12 months until Sam Walker was ready and they felt he was ready, so they needed to move on that because Sam Walker's coming off contract. They couldn't have Kyle Flanagan there for another year and Sam Walker playing reserve grade, or Kyle Flanagan playing reserve grade. It makes more sense now why the Roosters did what they did.

"The Bulldogs picked up a 21-year-old halfback who's now 22, still very, very young in his career. Players being benched or dropped at this stage of their career is part of the process, it's not the end of your career, it's part of the building of your career and the building of a person."

Gould said that Barrett would have carefully considered the impact of pulling Flanagan during the Dragons game. He said that the former Test playmaker was an outstanding halves coach who was working with Flanagan well before his prime years.

"Trent Barrett wouldn't make that decision lightly. He was a half himself. He would not make that decision lightly but he obviously feels he needs some thinking time, he needs some breathing time," Gould said.

"Whether that means going back and playing reserve grade for a few weeks and building his confidence; I don't know that missing football's going to do him any good, he needs to play football.

"The first thing that happens is, when Kyle Flanagan goes back to play reserve grade, you see that he's too good for reserve grade. He's a standout half back in reserve grade. He's an NRL player and he will be a very good NRL player.

"Halfbacks don't reach their peak until they're 26, 27. Honestly, they don't, so he's still halfway through his early development. I wouldn't see this as a setback, I'd just see it as part of the process.

"I thought he was very brave to give the interview that he did. Obviously when you start talking about family and the influence or your father, and him probably at the time feeling as though he's let someone down with his performances, it just got a little bit too much for him.

"But that's a strength of character. He put himself out in front of the cameras; there are plenty that hide, there are plenty that don't, so all kudos to him.

"And I know Trent Barrett wouldn't make that decision lightly. He would not do that to a kid, because he was a young footballer himself and a young halfback who was scrutinised. I just think it's part of his development.

"I know Kyle Flanagan will bounce back, no risk in the world."
What the fuck does Joesph Sualii have to do with this hahah and by the way freddy ya fuckwit

His been on camera for 9news already this season whats he on about

Donkey Slayer

Banned
Reaction score
Adding Freddy is still dirty we ruined his swan song game and that we are poaching a bunch of Panthers players from his former hood... anything to lay the boot in...
Freddy just not good enough that night
I see where kyle got his crying from alot of pussy chooks fans caught on camera sooking that night best part to see ya squirm

you couldnt beat the best ya weak dumb lost ****

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
As expected they cue up to take a shit on the club.

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
With Freddy taking the grease from both Roosters & Panthers, this story shouldn't surprise anyone but it still makes my blood boil when he describes us as a lesser club... cuts me deep.

Hey Freddy, quess what-
"THE BULLDOGS HATE YOU TOO"

And you can stick that 2004 Grand Final loss fair up your CLACKER.

WHAT A WAY FOR A SHIT MAN TO FINSH HIS CAREER - SUCKED IN YOU CLOWN.

Last edited:

Donkey Slayer

Banned
Reaction score
The quicker fittler is dumped from nsw job the better and brandy couldnt even have decent conversation on 360 about origin one time had a sook next to kevy i dont want burton topine doorey and anyone else around these *****

Literally lost the series last year to the worst qld team ive seen how good is freddy and brandy

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Fuck off!

Roosters rejected him with no explanation! Left him high and dry to sort himself out! They're supposedly a "strong club" right?

At least this guy still has a job with us!

The Dominator

Kennel Established
Reaction score
What an absolute load of rubbish. We want to protect people from everything these days. Stand there, face it like a man and learn the lessons of life. Jesus Christ these blokes need to run out every week and prepare to get smashed so they better damn well learn how to cope with some media scrutiny.