News Exclusive: Andrew Johns lists the recruits Bulldogs should buy to rebuild around

Horny Wog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Exclusive: Andrew Johns lists the recruits Bulldogs should buy to rebuild around
By Ben Glover

How to rebuild the Bulldogs

Bulldogs coach Dean Pay has admitted his club need to recruit a big star to take them into their next phase of development and rugby league Immortal Andrew Johns says that star should be Cameron Munster.

Canterbury have hit rock bottom after making a mess of their salary cap over the last few years, leaving Pay with a roster that is the consensus pick for worst in the NRL after being forced to shed a slew of highly paid big names, most notably David Klemmer, Aaron Woods and Moses Mbye.

It took a vintage performance from former Test star Kieran Foran to lift the Bulldogs to an eye-catching Round 2 victory over the Wests Tigers but with the premiership-winning half facing a long stint on the sidelines with an ankle injury, it looms as a tough 2019 for Pay's men.

Million Dollar Man: Fast 5

Million Dollar Man: Fast 5
Having had his contract extended last week, Pay has an eye to the future and a roster rebuild similar to the one the Knights have recently been through under Nathan Brown.

Brown and the Knights turned the corner when they snagged the prize signature of Kalyn Ponga and speaking on NRL360 this week, Pay revealed he wanted to bring a franchise player of a similar calibre to Belmore.

While Munster only recently signed a new deal tying him to the Storm until 2023, Johns said he would be the ideal man to build a struggling club around, with young guns Victor Radley and Cameron Murray strong back-up plans.

"I'd be going after Munster. I think he's the perfect player who you could build a team around, Cameron Munster," Johns told Wide World of Sports' Immortal Behaviour when asked who he'd target if he was recruiting for the Bulldogs.

"If I had to buy another one or two I'd probably go Victor Radley or Cameron Murray. Both young players on the way up; those two players in particular train really hard and really rip in and that has a great affect on all the players at the club.

The number one would be Cameron Munster for sure."

While Munster is arguably the heir to the throne of Johnathan Thurston as rugby league's next generational playmaker, 21-year-old forwards Radley and Murray have also made huge impressions over the last 12 months.

However, neither would be easy to prise from the clubs who gave them their debuts with Murray on contract with the Rabbitohs until 2021 and Radley on a deal as long as Munster's after the Roosters rewarded him for an outstanding rookie year with a long-term deal.

Although the NRL player market has become very fluid in recent years, those contracts are likely to force Pay to look elsewhere.

“We’ve got a target, it may be a Kalyn Ponga, a player of that calibre, where he is a franchise player," Pay said when asked about Canterbury's rebuild.

“And you bring him to the club and there’s other players who want to come to the club and play with him. We’re always looking.”

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kotoni Staggs & David Fafita from the Broncos are both off Contract at the end of 2020 and a free to negotiate this November. We need a strike centre & a middle forward.
So too are the Trbojevic brothers but I reckon they are no chance of leaving Manly.
Maybe Nick Cotric as a centre, he played there before 1st grade as his preferred position.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Yh we don't need a Radley or Murray lol. Name any half decent half, hooker and outside back and you'd have a better article. Munster is surely out of reach though.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
First and foremost a gun hooker and centre and we’ll start to look good

jof

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Storm aren't going to let Munster go.

I like Murray but another backrower is hardly a priority.

Radley is just meh... overrated player in my opinion. Good utility value, but again hardly a priority. John's is making some strange calls lately, hope his health problems aren't getting the better of him.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Robosn, Cotric, Walmsley, L.Thompson are my top 4.

All the players joey mentioned are zero chance of leaving their respective clubs, because they all have endless pits of cash to offer and the cap doesn't apply to them unlike us who released players do get under the cap... whilst others just got their dicks sucked by bloody greenburg

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Storm aren't going to let Munster go.

I like Murray but another backrower is hardly a priority.

Radley is just meh... overrated player in my opinion. Good utility value, but again hardly a priority. John's is making some strange calls lately, hope his health problems aren't getting the better of him.
nah radley isnt overrated at all man, i think you must think he isnt that great because he can get lost behind the rest of the roosters stacked 'salary cap compliant' team.

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Fuck Pogba the overrated prick, we need to go after someone who's young, proven champion and has virtually won everything there is to be won. I'd build my team around Latrell Mitchell.

jof

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
nah radley isnt overrated at all man, i think you must think he isnt that great because he can get lost behind the rest of the roosters stacked 'salary cap compliant' team.
Nah I see what he does. He punches well above his weight in defense and he is a good player, just saying all the wank about him by commentators is a bit much. He's not in the same league as someone like Munster or a Ponga or DCE in really turning this club around

Malla

Reaction score
Is he high? What makes him assume we are still gonna be struggling in 2023 still looking for key signings lol

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
By 2021 you've got players who are 16 to 18,today, who will be 19 to 21 likely to make their debuts then. Anyone of those could be the next player to build a club on.

Then not forgetting lewis could be that player
Or toomaga
Or meaney

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
we should through kitchen sink and every thing in the house at Lateral Mitchell, Radley , Keary , Tedescro...... the entire Roosters team and lets see which one sticks.

If we get half the roosters team we will be easily a top 4 team.

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Johns brothers think they are the know alls of rugby league. Andrew johns advising the dogs on who to buy like the knights are an example. Funny how ponga all off a sudden hasnt worked as a half. Never will with pearce there. Good talent ruined. He talks like newcastle have turned the corner and are premiership favorites. We dont need his advice i for one wont take any notice of what he says.just my opinion

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
we should through kitchen sink and every thing in the house at Lateral Mitchell, Radley , Keary , Tedescro...... the entire Roosters team and lets see which one sticks.

If we get half the roosters team we will be easily a top 4 team.
Teddy was on his way to Belmore brother. Dessie said no