Excited for 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Late season form can be very deceiving when a team is out of contention for the finals. Look at Souths last year they won 3/4 to end last year and it looked like a launching pad for this year and amounted to nothing. Probably the biggest factor in our form reversal has been Lichaa and he's not going to be here next year so it might be a bit early to be getting excited.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Na. Jackson has to move to lock, that middle third is way to slow. Tolman can bulk up and play off the bench.
I wouldn't have Mariner or Martin playing inside Mbye in defence that's all... Espescially when Mbye hits his straps next yr and is targeted hard.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yeah i realise why, but surely he didnt move to hooker. The way i saw it people were kust taking turns. But for a prop forward to be running from dummy half and not even just passing, especially in the last 5 mins of a tough and fast match, i was impressed.
Tolman cops a lot of shit on here, but i think he is integral to our team. If we didnt have props like him and tolman making so many tackles like they do, we would have been a lot worse this year.
People definitely underestimate what Tolman does for this team. He is the smartest forward in the team now that Graham is moving on and he knows what points to hit during the game, his stamina is unmeasured and a big communicator on field. The bloke is priceless when he needs to stand up.

M4cca

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did anyone notice how many runs tolman did from dummy half? I have always said that he cops wsy too much criticism on here. He isnt the best prop in the world, but if we lose graham next year we will really appreciate tolman!!
I think he'll be more valuable now with graham gone. They became to similar in their playing style

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
People definitely underestimate what Tolman does for this team. He is the smartest forward in the team now that Graham is moving on and he knows what points to hit during the game, his stamina is unmeasured and a big communicator on field. The bloke is priceless when he needs to stand up.
Smartest forward is a bit much. If he was smart he wouldn't get in the way of things in the 20.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Smartest forward is a bit much. If he was smart he wouldn't get in the way of things in the 20.
Graham is touted as the smartest forward in the comp and he does the same shit... Its the morons around them that don't realise they are basically there as blockers and decoys but because they know these guys can take them to their next point of attack they just throw them the ball hoping the best. Cant wait for Foran.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I wouldn't have Mariner or Martin playing inside Mbye in defence that's all... Espescially when Mbye hits his straps next yr and is targeted hard.
That doesn't worry me. What worries me is Tolman, Woods and Klemmer on the field at the same time. That middle third is way too slow and 1 dimensional. Both Klemmer and Woods need to be our starting frontrowers and Jackson at lock to compliment them, not to mention it would be the best middle third in the game.

Tolman can sit on the bench. Bloke needs to add some size to his frame and sacrifice some endurance and mobility for more power. Most weeks he plays 50 minutes at the exact same intensity as 80 minutes... and that isn't a good thing, he simply doesn't need to pace himself for 80 minutes. He played less minutes yesterday and he actually looked to be a little more direct and dominant with his runs. If he adds more power and explosiveness to his game then we will get far more value out of him.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah i realise why, but surely he didnt move to hooker. The way i saw it people were kust taking turns. But for a prop forward to be running from dummy half and not even just passing, especially in the last 5 mins of a tough and fast match, i was impressed.
Tolman cops a lot of shit on here, but i think he is integral to our team. If we didnt have props like him and tolman making so many tackles like they do, we would have been a lot worse this year.
I agree. I've copped plenty on here this year over Tolman. Is he a Junior Paulo/Jesse Bromwich type - no. He's a worker who just puts in every week in whatever way he can. He never goes missing in defence. He gets in the way in attack - but only because some dope passes the ball to him. they miss him and he doesn't create any problems. You don't want a pack full of him but having him is better than not having him in your side.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Tolman can sit on the bench. Bloke needs to add some size to his frame and sacrifice some endurance and mobility for more power. .
I have often thought this too.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Late season form can be very deceiving when a team is out of contention for the finals. Look at Souths last year they won 3/4 to end last year and it looked like a launching pad for this year and amounted to nothing. Probably the biggest factor in our form reversal has been Lichaa and he's not going to be here next year so it might be a bit early to be getting excited.
Two things stopped Souths from going OK this year. Losing Inglis early and the internal problems around Maguire and the Burgess'. Add to that the loss of Reynolds for long periods and their stupid DH strategy and they were always going backwards. They won't be any better next year either even with Gagai.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I have often thought this too.
Yup. Really think we would get far more value out of him like that. His attitude and workrate is top class, he just lacks the punch from a prop that you want and need in todays game.

You really don't need long, low intensity minutes from props...what you need are props capable of higher intensity stints between 20-30 minutes that are capable of of adapting to bigger minutes if required. This is what we need from Tolman as he simply doesn't provide the skillset or ability of a Jake Turbo, Jackson, Gallen, etc that can pump out huge quality minutes.

RichoDog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Tollman can stay if he is used off the bench, great that Graham is going as he and Tollman at the same time is dead boring - JMOZ will stay - BMOZ - sharks

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Yup. Really think we would get far more value out of him like that. His attitude and workrate is top class, he just lacks the punch from a prop that you want and need in todays game.

You really don't need long, low intensity minutes from props...what you need are props capable of higher intensity stints between 20-30 minutes that are capable of of adapting to bigger minutes if required. This is what we need from Tolman as he simply doesn't provide the skillset or ability of a Jake Turbo, Jackson, Gallen, etc that can pump out huge quality minutes.
Yeah I can't find a spot in the 13 for him
He's a bench prop that won't add impact physically but I guess adds experience and good communication

He can cover hooker too lol he did a good job to finish the game there. I remember when we played the Warriors in 2014 Ennis got injured and Tolman played majority of the game there

We are fkd if he is named captain next year

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Yeah I can't find a spot in the 13 for him
He's a bench prop that won't add impact physically but I guess adds experience and good communication

He can cover hooker too lol he did a good job to finish the game there. I remember when we played the Warriors in 2014 Ennis got injured and Tolman played majority of the game there

We are fkd if he is named captain next year
Yes i will be pretty filthy, i have my heart set on a frontrow pairing of Klemmer and Woods with Jackson at lock and captain. I will rant on and on about this all offseason, that middle third gets me excited and looks like the best in the game. Tolman, Fualalo and Tualau can play off the bench...there will be plenty of minutes to go around over the season and with the right rotations.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Yes i will be pretty filthy, i have my heart set on a frontrow pairing of Klemmer and Woods with Jackson at lock and captain. I will rant on and on about this all offseason, that middle third gets me excited and looks like the best in the game. Tolman, Fualalo and Tualau can play off the bench...there will be plenty of minutes to go around over the season and with the right rotations.
So how will that be different to you ranting on and on about it already. Just cut and paste.

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
M
If the dogs are going to play like they did in these last 3 weeks I might become a member again.
I haven't felt so excited and happy about a game for a long time .
Bring on 2018 !!!!!!
My greatest fear is that Des will still be in charge and think 'Hey! I have 26 rounds, lets go back to statistic driven tactics.' and the last 3 weeks happened only because we were out of contention and Des just let them actually be footballers.

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
M

My greatest fear is that Des will still be in charge and think 'Hey! I have 26 rounds, lets go back to statistic driven tactics.' and the last 3 weeks happened only because we were out of contention and Des just let them actually be footballers.
I fucking hope not or there will be fireworks at belmore.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I agree. I've copped plenty on here this year over Tolman. Is he a Junior Paulo/Jesse Bromwich type - no. He's a worker who just puts in every week in whatever way he can. He never goes missing in defence. He gets in the way in attack - but only because some dope passes the ball to him. they miss him and he doesn't create any problems. You don't want a pack full of him but having him is better than not having him in your side.
Yeah exactly. I think this year our front row was a little one dimensional with tols and graham. With just one of them next year we will be better off.

Status
Not open for further replies.