Even Politis not happy

senshidog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If Politis says something, the NRL will listen.

He's probably the one guy involved with the NRl that has more pulling power than Vlandys himself.

Put it this way, Vlandys and Abdo can be replaced, but Politis is an integral power broker in the NRL with many connections.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The problem with the polls they run about fan satisfaction are that they don't take into account that people who already lost interest because the game is now shit more than likely didn't vote. I certainly had no fucking clue that this poll was being run.

As much as I agree with what Politis has said, like others have mentioned he probably has his own agenda with it or he wouldn't have spoken out about things. But at this point I don't know if I'll ever get back to being a league tragic like I was once. I used to see it as a game for the fans that was developed by and for the working classes a century (ish) ago. Now watch the game and it seems like it's increasingly becoming a tool to take money off gamblers. It pisses me off immensely that rules are no longer set in stone as they should be. As soon as you introduce enough grey areas for referees to judge on the level of rule breaking it's surely going to bring into question whether refs suffer bias or are open to cheating. I stopped watching SOO because I saw numerous cases of referee discretion being wrongly applied to cost teams not only games but entire SOO series. So what was once a very exciting period of the football year for me now makes me feel bitter that our game has changed to the point where I can't help but assume it's rorted.

So in conclusion, they need to not only fuck this set restart bullshit off, they also need to go over the rules and wipe out any area where there's grey area. And there's a hell of a lot of grey area now.
Those polls were so fraudulent. They were probably completed by 100 NRL staff members. I trust North Korean polls about the supreme leader more than this.

There's no way that's a true reflection of the way people feel about the game. Almost everyone I've spoken to or heard discussing footy hates the new rules and that includes fans that go for some of the more successful teams.

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score

He's probably the one guy involved with the NRl that has more pulling power than Vlandys himself.

Put it this way, Vlandys and Abdo can be replaced, but Politis is an integral power broker in the NRL with many connections.
His views or opinions on the game wouldn't be respected by anyone but as long as he lines the pockets of influential figures around the game he will have plenty of power. That's the sad part, if the codger didn't have billions he'd be told to fuck off and shut up. Kerry Packer Mk2.

dogluvver

Kennel Established
Reaction score
You people do realise this came from the broadcasters who run the game. They were bored with the product, the wrestlemania rubbish. Hence make the game more entertaining or we won’t fund the game
It has backfired enormously!!!
There is nothing entertaining about watching your side get flogged by 50 every week.
I think it has actually had the opposite effect. The game is now boring.
So many games now start with $1.01 favourites.
I used to watch every game every week but now a lot of games I don't even watch because you know the result before the game even starts.
If they don't change the rules back. There will be nothing left to broadcast!

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Politis is spot on. The new rules have ruined the game. Only a few clubs will benefit and the majority will get flogged each week. The result of a game is now up to the ref.

Last edited:

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
His views or opinions on the game wouldn't be respected by anyone but as long as he lines the pockets of influential figures around the game he will have plenty of power. That's the sad part, if the codger didn't have billions he'd be told to fuck off and shut up. Kerry Packer Mk2.
This shit makes me laugh. Nick has been involved in Rugby League since 1975 and was the first to sponsor a team, so you all can lick his balls for helping your club make money as can fans of other NRL clubs. He was smarter than Rugby League management back then and is still smarter than them. But as far as his mythical influence goes, we've won 4 premierships since 1975, hardly something to brag about.

And he's saying what we are all thinking so kudos to him

Grunthos

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This time uncle Nick is 110% correct!
The "fast" game is killing League completely and alienating good potential junior players who cannot meet the new athletic standard and
Rugby will be the big winner overall.
Strangely, Rugby has had some rule changes and has been sped up over the past few seasons, and is now far more entertaining to watch than it once was.

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
This shit makes me laugh. Nick has been involved in Rugby League since 1975 and was the first to sponsor a team, so you all can lick his balls for helping your club make money as can fans of other NRL clubs. He was smarter than Rugby League management back then and is still smarter than them. But as far as his mythical influence goes, we've won 4 premierships since 1975, hardly something to brag about.

And he's saying what we are all thinking so kudos to him
If he didn't have money he'd be a nobody in the world of rugby league though. He seems to have fuck all actual knowledge of the game itself. Of course he is saying what most people think, that the game is a shit product now, he doesn't have to have any knowledge at all to figure that out.

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
Politis is spot on. The new rules have ruined the game. Only a few clubs will benefit and the majority will get flogged each week. The result of a game is now up to the ref.
The result of a game has been up to the ref for quite a while. Does anyone think the Bulldogs were honestly any chance of winning the GF in 2014 once Rusty and his next-door neighbour rang that fucking bell?
There have been quite a few manufactured results on GF day over the last 10 or so years, let alone week to week matches. The thing that is really pissing people off is the floggings each week for sure but the game was still being manipulated by refs throughout the other extreme: the WrestleMania years. There were a hell of a lot of people, myself included, who lost alot of interest in the NRL during those years, especially during Origin there was some hella rigged outcomes in SOO for a few years there.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If he didn't have money he'd be a nobody in the world of rugby league though. He seems to have fuck all actual knowledge of the game itself. Of course he is saying what most people think, that the game is a shit product now, he doesn't have to have any knowledge at all to figure that out.
He's been involved in and watching the game for over 4 decades, I think he knows more than you give him credit for.

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
He's been involved in and watching the game for over 4 decades, I think he knows more than you give him credit for.
Yes, his money has been around the game for that long, that is his influence. Heard him talk about the actual game a few times and he sounds clueless IMO. As I said, to me he's Kerry Packer Mk2. Their unlimited wealth is their influence on their chosen sports, not knowledge of the game. Do you honestly think if he didn't have cash to throw around he would be revered in RL for his knowledge? Like say Phil Gould, Tim Sheens etc? No chance. We can agree to disagree there's nothing wrong with that.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

I don't know. The NRL have plenty of people with considerable "pulling" power. Andrew Johns, Brad Fittler, Cooper Cronk - all immortal wankers if you ask me.

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have listened to the talking heads in the media for years sensationalise EVERY issue, particularly the bad ones, in the game for ratings... some examples --> the Storm playing for no points in 2010 would be a disaster (something A. Johns and Gould kept harping on about and funnily enough it wasn't)... the need for the use of technology when it comes to in goal play to ensure the right call is made when it comes to potential tries and which then led to absurdities such as to separation, benefit of the doubt, the much vaunted bunker etc... the perennially inconsistent judiciary which has led to a system I have no f*+#ing idea about... hysteria as to players accused of crimes as a result being stood down BEFORE they have had their day in court

as for the state of the game now, the pundits for years have talked up the need to regulate the footballers, the creative players, back into the game by speeding the game up and putting fatigue back into the game (and yes, I am looking at Matty Johns)... hence, the six agains, the quick tap restarts, the reduction in interchanges etc.

and the results have been to accentuate the differences in quality and to heavily favour better teams with blowout scorelines and almost non-existent upsets

so, Mr Johns, sitting in a multi million dollar mansion on the Northern Beaches despite being a mediocre playing and media talent, you helped ruin the game that millions love and that has been so good to you... so, well done... and f*+# you

Grunthos

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Line outs, rucks, mauls, and "real" scrums and overall toughness...
This is what Leauge is coming up against now, and by "speeding the game up" and penalizing the softest of infringements they have in the process dumbed it down and made it a frustrating and boorish spectical!

N.B. Rugby has become a lot faster with the "use it or loses it" ruling at the ruck and maul that use to bog the game down in the past.

Last edited:

ash160

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
65% say that the speed is just right....TOTAL BULLSHIT!!!