Evaluating the Top 30

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Based on watching 2 game so far (both NSW Cup and NRL) here are my thoughts about our current Top 30 squad.

Adam Elliott - Needs to step up and fast. As part of the self proclaimed "leadership group", he's not leading by example.
Aiden Tolman - he tries hard and you know what you are getting with Tolman. Defensively solid.
Brandon Wakeham - currently injured.
Chris Smith - seems to be going quite well in NSW Cup, and deserves a start in NRL. Solid defender with pace and a good offload.
Christian Crichton - First game was okay but needs to step up as was disappointing in second. Concerned his height may be an issue too.
Corey Harawira-Naera - Needs to pull his finger out and fast. Was given the start over Martin and has failed to deliver on his capabilities.
Danny Fualalo - He tries hard, but I question if he has the talent to really push on in the NRL.
Dylan Napa - Bad first game, today on paper much better. Still hits the line like a cloud though. May be told to play it safe to avoid suspension.
Fa'amanu Brown - currently injured but deserves a look when back.
Francis Tualau - Done nothing to warrant NRL game time and only just barely making the bench in NSW Cup.
Jack Cogger - For all the hype he does have good qualities like a nice kicking game, and in fairness he'd normally be alongside Nu Brown / JMK / Wakeham in the halves. That said he shows up for about 15 minutes a game then goes missing.
Jayden Okunbor - Rocks and Diamonds. Hard to know if it's just him or Olive making him look worse. Has pace but needs a lot more time in NSW Cup and needs to excel to push for a spot.
Jeremy Marshall-King - deserves to start and stay at hooker.
John Olive - Even his best is bog average. Waste of a Top 30 squad. Defensively woeful, and non existent in attack.
Josh Jackson - injured and operated late 2018 and didn't have a full offseason. Jackson has been really poor this year and if he doesn't fire soon, needs a spell in NSW Cup if someone better is pressing for a spot.
Kerrod Holland - injured and operated late 2018 and didn't have a full offseason. I wonder if he is still not 100% as has been really poor of late.
Kieran Foran - First game was quiet, todays game he showed what he is capable of. If all the other players lifted like Kieran today we'd have flogged Parra.
Lachlan Lewis - Not sure if he's started to believe his own hype, but he needs to re-set himself and FAST. We look directionless and are relying on him for direction. Way off the form of last season, with worse halves players alongside him.
Marcelo Montoya - Had enough chances and it's just not working with Marcelo. Needs to go.
Michael Lichaa - Had enough chances and it's just not working with Michael. Needs to go.
Nick Meaney - Last year in NRL he was pretty average. In NSW Cup he was firing. This year it's like he doesn't want to get involved or inject himself (for reasons unknown). Defence is beyond woeful, and even dropped a sitter of a kick with no pressure today. Needs to fix whatever his issues are and fast, because Cerruto was a better option otherwise.
Ofahiki Ogden - Brilliant in todays game and needs to be promoted to NRL and replace Sue.
Raymond Faitala-Mariner - recovering from a lengthy injury. Was quiet in game one, but today was excellent despite one poor offload leading to a try. Looks to be forming a nice combination with Foran.
Reimis Smith - Like Foran, a good player playing with shit team mates. Feel sorry for him.
Renouf To'omaga - currently injured, but hasn't put his hand up to stake claim on an NRL spot when given a chance.
Rhyse Martin - He's got defensive lapses, but needs to be in NRL. Versatile player and despite a poor first game is trying very hard to get back into NRL (and I believe that's where mistakes are coming from). Played at hooker today so might be an option.
Sauaso Sue - Whacks hard in defence when he hits and comes out of line hard. Haven't seen much in attack from him and looks to be coasting on expectation of an NRL spot rather than earning it.
Will Hopoate - See Reimis Smith and Foran. Trying hard but getting zero help.
Zac Saddler - Was injured all pre season. Not sure if hes recovered yet or not.

DEVELOPMENT PLAYERS:
Tui Katoa (Dev Player) - I do like Tui. Seems to have pace, and excellent hands, but always looks like he will snap when tackled. I think he'd get dominated and shown up in NRL.
Morgan Harper (Dev Player) - Disappointing start to the season given how well he was going the end of last season. Whatever the issue he needs to snap out of it because NRL spots are up for grabs in the backline.
James Roumanos (Dev Player) - Still young but looks okay from what I've seen.
Jarred Anderson (Dev Player) - Last year really good in NSW Cup. No idea where he is at the moment.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Based on watching 2 game so far (both NSW Cup and NRL) here are my thoughts about our current Top 30 squad.

Adam Elliott - Needs to step up and fast. As part of the self proclaimed "leadership group", he's not leading by example.
Aiden Tolman - he tries hard and you know what you are getting with Tolman. Defensively solid.
Chris Smith - seems to be going quite well in NSW Cup, and deserves a start in NRL. Solid defender with pace and a good offload.
Christian Crichton - First game was okay but needs to step up as was disappointing in second. Concerned his height may be an issue too.
Corey Harawira-Naera - Needs to pull his finger out and fast. Was given the start over Martin and has failed to deliver on his capabilities.
Danny Fualalo - He tries hard, but I question if he has the talent to really push on in the NRL.
Dylan Napa - Bad first game, today on paper much better. Still hits the line like a cloud though. May be told to play it safe to avoid suspension.
Francis Tualau - Done nothing to warrant NRL game time and only just barely making the bench in NSW Cup.
Jack Cogger - For all the hype he does have good qualities like a nice kicking game, and in fairness he'd normally be alongside Nu Brown / JMK / Wakeham in the halves. That said he shows up for about 15 minutes a game then goes missing.
Jayden Okunbor - Rocks and Diamonds. Hard to know if it's just him or Olive making him look worse. Has pace but needs a lot more time in NSW Cup and needs to excel to push for a spot.
John Olive - Even his best is bog average. Waste of a Top 30 squad. Defensively woeful, and non existent in attack.
Josh Jackson - injured and operated late 2018 and didn't have a full offseason. Jackson has been really poor this year and if he doesn't fire soon, needs a spell in NSW Cup if someone better is pressing for a spot.
Kerrod Holland - injured and operated late 2018 and didn't have a full offseason. I wonder if he is still not 100% as has been really poor of late.
Kieran Foran - First game was quiet, todays game he showed what he is capable of. If all the other players lifted like Kieran today we'd have flogged Parra.
Lachlan Lewis - Not sure if he's started to believe his own hype, but he needs to re-set himself and FAST. We look directionless and are relying on him for direction. Way off the form of last season, with worse halves players alongside him.
Marcelo Montoya - Had enough chances and it's just not working with Marcelo. Needs to go.
Michael Lichaa - Had enough chances and it's just not working with Michael. Needs to go.
Nick Meaney - Last year in NRL he was pretty average. In NSW Cup he was firing. This year it's like he doesn't want to get involved or inject himself (for reasons unknown). Defence is beyond woeful, and even dropped a sitter of a kick with no pressure today. Needs to fix whatever his issues are and fast, because Cerruto was a better option otherwise.
Ofahiki Ogden - Brilliant in todays game and needs to be promoted to NRL and replace Sue.
Raymond Faitala-Mariner - recovering from a lengthy injury. Was quiet in game one, but today was excellent despite one poor offload leading to a try. Looks to be forming a nice combination with Foran.
Reimis Smith - Like Foran, a good player playing with shit team mates. Feel sorry for him.
Renouf To'omaga - currently injured, but hasn't put his hand up to stake claim on an NRL spot when given a chance.
Rhyse Martin - He's got defensive lapses, but needs to be in NRL. Versatile player and despite a poor first game is trying very hard to get back into NRL (and I believe that's where mistakes are coming from). Played at hooker today so might be an option.
Sauaso Sue - Whacks hard in defence when he hits and comes out of line hard. Haven't seen much in attack from him and looks to be coasting on expectation of an NRL spot rather than earning it.

DEVELOPMENT PLAYERS:
Tui Katoa (Dev Player) - I do like Tui. Seems to have pace, and excellent hands, but always looks like he will snap when tackled. I think he'd get dominated and shown up in NRL.
Morgan Harper (Dev Player) - Disappointing start to the season given how well he was going the end of last season. Whatever the issue he needs to snap out of it because NRL spots are up for grabs in the backline.
Jarred Anderson (Dev Player) - Last year really good in NSW Cup. No idea where he is at the moment.
Well written, great evaluation/observation Mr I

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Man, what a laughable top 30. It is so depressing.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Katoa looks promising... Plays a lot like his brother... One to watch. Harper has just gotta stop trying to rake the ball in every tackle :D Ogden is a must for the top grade

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The signature of Corey Harawira-Naera is the one that's most concerning. He has now had two very poor performances and both weeks close to the worst player on the field. I'm not sure how much we signed this imposter for but FFS he's going to be another T-REX if he remains as is. Overpaid and over hyped Nuffy

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It’s a shit team. Plain and simple. And I got honeydicked in all the press like every year by coach, captain, chairman. The only one that was missing was a terry lamb article claiming Montoya or Tolman or someone would make a great fullback.

Don’t know who published the article that we are a team that’s only worth $6.5 million dollars on the field. What a bunch of bullshit. This team is a reserve grade team. And the top performers would struggle to get a look in at most other teams. The rest of the squad is almost a Ron Massey selection.

Bit disappointed in getting wet walking back to the car. But last time I make the mistake of going to the game this year :p

In all honesty I think the board dropped the ball. Because without a doubt this is the worst team we have had in the past decade (think our 08 team would flog this lot. Atleast that team had nrl standard players in it like hazem and patten and co).

But the squad over all is pathetic. Smith should come in for his aggression. But the amounts of one on one misses today. Intercept tries. It was literally pathetic nothing else.

Worst team in the Comp. and when you consider the players that were released lately. It’s hard to watch.

Anyways I have no idea on the financial situation. Don’t know how long we are paying players to play against us. But in all honesty if we don’t have mass improvements next year. I think many fans will walk. They said short term pain for long term gain. I honestly can’t remember last time we missed 3 finals straight. Let alone gone 16 years between premierships (our 2nd longest time in our history without a title).

So the coach and the board should have a long hard look at themselves. And if they aren’t capable of fixing the situation in 12 months should step aside and bring someone in that can. Because I have never seen the club this bad. Even 2005 and 2008 won’t be as ugly as this. 76 against 2 games in? This year could get really ugly :(

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Well it looks like we have all the ingredients... Just need a wooden spoon to complete this shitty meal ...

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Sounds fair except JMK, I don't see anything in the kid! Seriously, between JMK, Lichaa and Brown WTF are the club thinking about with the 9 spot? Should have been priority over any other spot for a signing. If Martin is what they are thinking then let's do it because these 3 are ridiculous on every level possible and may God have mercy on their souls lol

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The signature of Corey Harawira-Naera is the one that's most concerning. He has now had two very poor performances and both weeks close to the worst player on the field. I'm not sure how much we signed this imposter for but FFS he's going to be another T-REX if he remains as is. Overpaid and over hyped Nuffy
Exactly right. We haven’t had a fullback since 2012 (Barba was an imposter in 13). We lost our only winger and centre in the whole club last season. We have struggled with lichaa for years. And we sign another second rower? When we have so many blaring issues with our line up.

I know I blame Hasler and dib and castle. And I know we are not using the full budget because of their mistakes. But to spend big on Napa and CHN. And then sign crighton too..... and ok Meaney and cogger were obviously cheap roster fillers with the hope of become solid first graders. But to honestly open up the cheque book for those 3 in particular when we lack a half, hooker, fullback, centre and winger. Castle. Dib and Hasler were duds. But the Anderson’s, and pay and hill..... they seem to not have any clue themselves.

I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt that we should have close to 9.5 million to spend next year and they will recruit accordingly. But if not their time is up. Because it’s all good to criticise the past regime. But it’s looking like the new mob might outdo them :p :o

Jean-Claude Juncker

Kennel Established
Reaction score

DEVELOPMENT PLAYERS:
Martin spent time at hooker in reggies today? Interesting. I was heckled by Kennelers for suggesting his ability to fill in there - at a pinch - was another reason for including him in the 17.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Lewis isn’t believing he’s own hype he is just a average player. He got hyped up on here all off season as some future superstar when in reality all he has is a decent kicking when he has the space and good defence.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score

DEVELOPMENT PLAYERS:
Saddler has been playing Sydney shield - most of last year and two games this year - was o the bench this week - he is ordinary.
Anderson - was playing mostly rm cup last year - played nsw cup trials this year - nothing since
Katoa - seems to be a natural footballer.

your summary reflects the reality - its an ordinary squad - cap space wasted.

does anyone understand the rationale of the development players?

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Thought Napa played well today, we went downhill when he went off, really needs to work on his fitness to keep him out longer.
Foran most involvement ive seen from him in a long time, played well I thought..
Montoya has surely played his last game in first grade with us.
expecting a few changes this week surely.
If Holland survives the axe put him back at right Centre.
Jackson at Lock.
Hoppa Left Centre with Meaney at the back.
Lichaa Reserve Grade

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Thought Napa played well today, we went downhill when he went off, really needs to work on his fitness to keep him out longer.
Foran most involvement ive seen from him in a long time, played well I thought..
Montoya has surely played his last game in first grade with us.
expecting a few changes this week surely.
If Holland survives the axe put him back at right Centre.
Jackson at Lock.
Hoppa Left Centre with Meaney at the back.
Lichaa Reserve Grade
Is Meaney any good?
I have watched him a few times and....meh.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
What has happened to Josh Jackson?
A once excellent player has seen a rapid decline in form.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Is Meaney any good?
I have watched him a few times and....meh.
We need some speed mate, we need to fix up the Defense on the edges and some speed at the back. Hoppa needs to stay ing the backline though.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
What has happened to Josh Jackson?
A once excellent player has seen a rapid decline in form.
Needs to play lock, thiunk Pay has to make some posistional changes with the regular guys aswell as drop and promote others.

EB18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okunbor Meaney and Orgden. Need to be promoted this week. Drop Elliott Cricton and Holland Ive bought size strength and speed. Cant have both elliott and tolman in same 17 its too small. Lewis to 5/8 foran to h/b.

1. Meaney
2. Okunbor
3. Hoppa
4. Montoya
5. Smith
6. Lewis
7. Foran
8. Danny. F
9. Jmk
10. Napa
11. Chn
12. Rfm
13. Jackson

14. Lichaa
15. Tolman
16. Orgden
17. Sue

This team is bigger stronger and faster. i.e i dont give a shit how meaney and okunbor performed in nsw cup. There both big strong and fast. Look at remis he wasn't great in nsw cup.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Okunbor Meaney and Orgden. Need to be promoted this week. Drop Elliott Cricton and Holland Ive bought size strength and speed. Cant have both elliott and tolman in same 17 its too small. Lewis to 5/8 foran to h/b.

1. Meaney
2. Okunbor
3. Hoppa
4. Montoya
5. Smith
6. Lewis
7. Foran
8. Danny. F
9. Jmk
10. Napa
11. Chn
12. Rfm
13. Jackson

14. Lichaa
15. Tolman
16. Orgden
17. Sue

This team is bigger stronger and faster. i.e i dont give a shit how meaney and okunbor performed in nsw cup. There both big strong and fast. Look at remis he wasn't great in nsw cup.
Agree with most but Montoya, he needs to go.
Id have RFM on the Bench in Lichaas spot and bring in Martin. Or Start RFM/Martin in Back Row and throw CHN in Montoyas position.