Ennis to the Sharks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jon50n

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting, maybe a straight swap with Lichaa?

[h=1]Cronulla favourites to snare resurgent hooker Michael Ennis and mercurial half Benji Marshall[/h]

• 20 MINUTES AGO APRIL 23, 2014 12:00AM

[h=3]Cam Smith backs Benji return to boost NRL profile0:57[/h]

Melbourne Storm captain Cameron Smith believes the return of Benji Marshall is a positive for the game of rugby league.

Autoplay

CRONULLA has expressed interest for Bulldogs skipper Michael Ennis, as Benji Marshall weighs-up a three-year offer to join the Sharks this week.

While St George Illawarra and Melbourne are in negotiations with Marshall for the rest of this season, Cronulla have firmed as clear favourites to snap-up the failed rugby convert.
The Daily Telegraph can reveal Marshall first made contact with the Sharks several weeks ago, reaching-out to close friend and former Wests Tigers team mate Beau Ryan about the possibility of returning to the NRL.
BENJI PLEADS, FIND ME AN NRL HOME
BEAU SAYS BENJI WILL BE A SUCCESS

Benji Marshall of the Blues makes a break. Source: Getty Images

WE ASK EVERY CLUB: WHO WANTS BENJI
It’s believed an offer for the final five months of this year, plus the next two seasons, is currently being drawn up, with Sharks powerbrokers confident that Marshall can reignite the team’s stagnant attack.
And there’s also been recent contact with Ennis’s management, who have been attempting to strike a new deal with Canterbury for months.
Ironically, the Ennis stalemate owes to Canterbury’s recruitment of rookie Sharks rake Michael Lichaa, who last month agreed to a three-year deal worth in excess of $1 million.
The Daily Telegraph understands Lichaa signed with Canterbury after being told he would only have to play second fiddle to Ennis for one season.

Bulldogs skipper Michael Ennis passes the ball. Source: News Corp Australia

Ennis, however, has publicly stated that he wants a longer term deal to see-out his career.
With Lichaa gone and veteran hooker John Morris expected to retire, Cronulla shapes a perfect fit given Ennis would prefer to remain in Sydney.
Expecting their fourth child, the family has also been searching for a new home in the Sutherland Shire of late.
After losing his NSW Origin jersey to rival hooker Robbie Farah two years ago, Ennis has embarked on a form renaissance that peaked with his tremendous tackle on rampant Rabbitohs hardman Sam Burgess last Friday.
He is also considered the favourite to replace Farah in the NSW side, would the Blues incumbent not overcome an elbow injury in time for Origin I.

[h=3]Matty Johns and the boys discuss Benji Marshall's future2:04[/h]

Where Benji Marshall will end up in the NRL is anyone's guess, but the boys from Monday night with Matty Johns have a few ideas.

CODE FLOPPERS: WHEN CAREER CHANGES GO BAD
MARSHALL ASKS BLUES FOR RELEASE
Cronulla insiders said on Tuesday they were hopeful of a decision from Marshall by Friday, clearing the way for the ex-Kiwi International to acclimatise himself in the Shire during next weekend’s bye.
Tauber has stressed Marshall’s desire to return to Sydney, where he can resume his lucrative television career on Channel Nine’s Footy Show.
Marshall and his wife Zoe recently bought a house in Auckland, but Tauber said the new purchase would be no barrier to the couple moving back to Sin City.
Marshall has a host of former Tigers team mates now in the Sharks side, including Bryce Gibbs, Chris Heighington, Andrew Fifita, Blake Ayshford and Ryan.
His manager Martin Tauber is also close to Sharks officials Steve Noyce and Darren Mooney, who also worked at Wests while Marshall starred at Concord.

[h=3]Benji Marshall set to return to NRL this year0:33[/h]

According to Fairfax reports, Benji Marshall is set to return to the NRL this season after failing to break into Super Rugby with the Auckland Blues.

BENJI’S NOT A GREAT ATHLETE
The Sharks also hope Marshall’s arrival might inspire Todd Carney to greater heights.
Skipper Paul Gallen has publicly aired his concerns about the five-eighth’s off-field behaviour in recent weeks, and officials addressed Carney about being sent home from training in poor physical condition two weeks ago.
Should Marshall partner Carney in the halves, regular No. 7 Jeff Robson would be most likely be pushed to hooker and be possibly re-signed as a dummy half option for next year.
Marshall could also line-up in the centres, an area Cronulla has traditionally struggled for impact.
Marshall could also play fullback, making him a candidate to solve Canterbury’s fullback dilemma.
It’s understood the Bulldogs have discussed Marshall internally, but an offer is not expected to be forthcoming.

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
That f wit massoud from the telecrap contradicts himself within the article. If they are favourites to sign benchi marshall and push jeff robson to hooker than why would they be leading the race for mickey ennis. Earth to grub massoud u can only have one hooker on the field at any one time and i cant see ennis signing to be a bench hooker. I call bullshiet

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Lol @ crapolla trying to sign more tiger sharks. They will have the worst two defensive halves in the comp witj benchi and alco boi carney. Just two weeks ago carney said that robson was their most important player an that he is lost at 5/8 without robson at half. Enter benchi and the side will go sideways!!

Bluewhite93

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Ill hate to see ennis play against us, he is the first person to congratulate a teammate for when they score , force a mistake etc... The love and passion he shows for the team is unprecedented in the past 10 years the only other person in our team with his passion would be "grub". We all know that ennis can f up sometimes but he usually makes it back up with his heart in defence. Id like to see lichaa go one on one with burgess and not flinch. (No hate to lichaa tho but jus sayin)

Sauce Head

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know about you guys but I really don't see Ennis leaving. I really think he adds a lot to the team. We never go well when he is off the field.
Am I correct in saying that all 8 points that souffs scored last week were when he was off? Not the first time this has happened. Don't get me wrong he can be frustrating but a guy with good skills and a good leader is a real asset IMO.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Absolute SHIT FIGHT!! We have a great hooker that just isn't good enough but we need him and he deserves one more yr. We also have 3 young guns ready to take his spot in Mbye, Lichaa and Cook seeing as our halves seem to be running riot with great form.

WTF what an ugly situation.

DoggiesUtd

ps3- DoggiesUtd
Reaction score
he may not be the biggest attacking threat in our side...and like other great hookers...that's not his greatest asset...
id like to see if any1 can remember us playing to the best of our ability when Ennis is off the field...
as soon as he goes off...we look half as good a team as we can be...
huge loss if he goes...hopefully we give him another 2 seasons...as Captain I think he deserves it..

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
If Lichaa can replicate Ennis' defence then I really don't mind him leaving. Im not a fan of Ennis' attack but can't fault his defence.

MP4 - Eedz

C.O.T.B
Reaction score
Why place your confidence in "maybe" players like Lichaa and co when you have a proven Origin player, who happens to be your Captain still ready to roll? i.e. last week against Souths. We lose that game if he doesn't play

I'd like to keep Ennis at all costs for next year. If Lichaa can prove himself off the bench, playing second to Ennis MAYBE, JUST MAYBE we can part ways with our Captain. But not a moment earlier for unproven players.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Why place your confidence in "maybe" players like Lichaa and co when you have a proven Origin player, who happens to be your Captain still ready to roll? i.e. last week against Souths. We lose that game if he doesn't play

I'd like to keep Ennis at all costs for next year. If Lichaa can prove himself off the bench, playing second to Ennis MAYBE, JUST MAYBE we can part ways with our Captain. But not a moment earlier for unproven players.
I thought the whole problem is we are offering him 1 year and he wants more?

I'll be happy if he stays 1 more year to groom Lichaa.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Ennis 2 years is fair. 3 is pushing it 4 is no way.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
How many years is he actually asking for?

adamski007

Kennel Established
Reaction score

Couldn't have said it better mate - spot on 100%

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Were offering 1 yr, I'd like him to stay but he has to look after his family!!! Hope dogs offer him 1 then a nice coaching gig to stay or in club somewhere he is the heart of our team and his attack maybe not up there but defence and passion is second to none!!! Hard situation

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Nah Ennis will have a good year and the Doggies will give him an offer, hope he makes the blues.

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Were offering 1 yr, I'd like him to stay but he has to look after his family!!! Hope dogs offer him 1 then a nice coaching gig to stay or in club somewhere he is the heart of our team and his attack maybe not up there but defence and passion is second to none!!! Hard situation
I agree 1 yr suits the club but doesn't suit him, if we sign him for more than 1 yr it will likely be at the expense of players like Lloyd Perrett and Lachlan Burr. I already think we will have difficulty hanging onto Perrett anyway. Tim Browne is likely to have to be moved on in order to keep Perrett.

So we either have to decide that next year will be a gamble with Lichaa, or we sacrifice some future stars for possible success next year.

I think we should be blooding someone like Mbye at hooker this year maybe 10 minutes a game. At least then next year it will not be an all change at Dummy Half. But will Mbye be too much of a gamble for this year with his defence up the middle........that is why Dessie makes the big bucks. He makes the calls and has to live with them..... we just sit back and criticise or applaud.

The 2nd Spitter

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Secondary coaches make less than NSW Cup players.

Old Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope Mick hangs around for one more year, proves himself, and uses that form to demand an extension. He's not as good as Freddie Anderson or George Peponis, but he's the best hooker we've had in years.

Status
Not open for further replies.