Enjoy the victory Canterbury Bulldogs fans, it could be your last

Status
Not open for further replies.

playon

Kennel Established
Reaction score

Maybe this is as good as it gets Bulldogs fans. For so long it has been expected that the Bulldogs would find another gear. But maybe, just maybe their fifth spot on the ladder was a fair reflection of their season.

Or perhaps not enough credit is being given to St George Illawarra? Dragons fans, you did not deserve this. For all the grit and effort the heartbreak was unfair. You have come a long way and produced better football than ever anticipated.

Canterbury would have been licking their lips when they were drawn the Dragons to begin their finals quest. Instead they will now be left with severe doubts surrounding their premiership credentials after their get out of jail extra time win.

The season of last years grand finalists is now at breaking point as they face minor premiers the Roosters at Allianz Stadium on Friday night. Bulldogs coach Des Hasler loves playing with the underdog tag, but you would suspect even he would have wanted to see more against a Dragons side who many thought would just be making up the numbers.

Canterbury should have won and won well. They dominated the opening exchanges but failed to capitalise on their dominance. It was only a solo effort from Brett Morris – who still had a contract at the Dragons for 2015 – which separated the teams at half-time.

The last time the Dragons and Bulldogs met Trent Hodkinson was relegated to the interchange bench when he was replaced with the game on the line. What the Bulldogs would have done to have him out there on Saturday night.

Their kicking game was poor and they looked lost at times in good ball sets. The areas which Hodkinson excels. He would have closed out the game for them. After an irresistible middle part of the year, Moses Mbye has failed to recapture what skipper James Graham described as "supernova" moments of brilliance. Mbye's missed goal would have most probably been thrown over by Hodkinson.

Halves partner Josh Reynolds - although he kicked the match winning field goal - has not been able to build any momentum in his stop-start year.
The Bulldogs will fancy themselves against the Roosters in what will be typical a 'backs to the wall' challenge which the Bulldogs have built their foundations on. But they will need to replicate Melbourne's blueprint of controlling the ruck and stifling the Roosters attack by dominating their big men, which the Bulldogs failed to do against a less flashy St George Illawarra forward pack.

While the Roosters will welcome back their chief organiser in Mitchell Pearce, Hodkinson has played his last game for the club because of a broken thumb.
The 11-10 victory against St George Illawarra was not all bad. Their desperation in defence was evident. They scrambled well and worked hard from the inside. All traits which you can build finals football on.

Canterbury withstood a mountain of attack in the second half. The Bulldogs troublesome right edge again leaked their only try.
The Dragons were brave, in what was their first finals appearance since Wayne Bennett's departure in 2011.

Gareth Widdop played on despite being hampered by a severe cork and had to do so without Benji Marshall for the bulk of the second half. Joel Thompson played as a mere passenger, and should not have taken to the field for his 10 minute cameo before re-injuring his hamstring.
Coach Paul McGregor should walk away with more than just a finals appearance in his first season, he should be the coach of the year.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...-illawarra-20150912-gjl4ak.html#ixzz3lWbP3j00

playon

Kennel Established
Reaction score
very hard to disagree with his analysis. We should've won & won well instead we put in a shit house performance and just scraped through.

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Hey fcker (the author of the rubbish)... did you write us off too last season before the finals??

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
bahaha yes I am enjoying the win. The dragons fans would have been spewing after they witnessed kas tank, mumbai and reynolds dancing before the game. Then to top it off we win LMAO! Also nice try voldemorts, you did your best but we still overcame the bs

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
They forgot to mention stgeorge best player tonight;
jarrod fcuking maxwell

playon

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Hey fcker (the author of the rubbish)... did you write us off too last season before the finals??
I really hope we win too bro, but judging by our last two performances I think he's right. I'll be ecstatic if proven wrong

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Did we happen to get one fifty fifty call all game

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Lol, doesn't even know hodko injury is his wrist, not broken thumb, lol, amature

pisssst

CEO
Reaction score
You guys are missing the point.. forget the 50/50 calls, we are a way better team. st George are a team of no names, add to that their key players were all busted. its a fair analysis of the game, we are not as good as most people think we are.

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Article isn't wrong.

Hodkinson is a bigger loss for us than anyone will care to admit at this point, the strong victories that came against the Broncos and Rabbitohs a few weeks earlier came with Hodkinson at the helm.

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
They forgot to mention stgeorge best player tonight;
jarrod fcuking maxwell
We played like shit but maxwell was a dodgy prick tonight, he awarded that try when borris dropped it between his legs even though he wasnt close enough to see it. I heard Tolman say how could you award that.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
We were not flash that is true but look at the game stats. Merge had a mountain of possession and we were tackling our butts off all night. I have not watched the Channel nine replay yet but have been told they were less than complimentary as well and considered the Black Friday discussion to be of more relevance than what happened tonight. Boys need to lift for next week but I say write us off at your own peril. Said before the game I was nervous but confident we could win; might ask for a supply of valium to be included in our next season membership.

Bulldogz82

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone know the correct ruling for that last penalty?? Can you be offside if it touches an opposition player first? I'm not 100% on this because if it was wrong call then that wanka maxwell could have single handedly screwed our season

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Does anyone know the correct ruling for that last penalty?? Can you be offside if it touches an opposition player first? I'm not 100% on this because if it was wrong call then that wanka maxwell could have single handedly screwed our season
The call was wrong, if it touches a opp player after it touches you it puts the player back onside.

Horny Wog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It should of been a scrum for the dragons

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
A butt hurt journalist Dragon supporter has written this article ... its so biased and one sided.

pisssst

CEO
Reaction score
A butt hurt journalist Dragon supporter has written this article ... its so biased and one sided.
I like your post 2144, but seriously they are a team of no names and were playing busted. we have really under performed all season.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
We should have played a lot better tonight. Seemed to lack direction in the halves department. I was still impressed with our defence. We seemed to be under constant pressure from repeat sets to the Dragons in our half, and never once got a fair call or bounce of the ball.

All in all, I'll take the win, and hope for improvement next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.