El Magic: The Life of Hazem El Masri

Status
Not open for further replies.

phelps_fan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
While looking around on the internet I stumbled across this

Book Description

The 2009 season was a rollercoaster for Canterbury Bulldogs winger Hazem El Masri. Announcing his retirement at round 16 when the Bulldog′s form promised them a grand final berth, their shock loss and elimination in the finals series saw a disappointing end to one of rugby league′s most outstanding players.

El Magic is the inspirational story of Hazem′s success and dedication in the one of the nation′s most beloved sporting codes. Hazem holds both club and NRL records, including the Bulldogs club career points record, the most points scored in a single match, the NRL point scoring record for a single season, and earlier in 2009 he became the all-time highest NRL career point scorer.

Hazem′s playing career coincided with some of the most dramatic events in rugby league history - the Super League split of the mid-1990s and the Bulldogs′ 2002 salary cap scandal. A devout Muslim, Hazem has also had to come to terms with the September 11 tragedy, the Bali bombings and the Cronulla riots, and their impact on his faith and the world around him. Throughout these controversies, which Hazem discusses frankly and passionately, the flying winger has become a role model both within the rugby league community and far beyond.
http://www.harpercollins.com.au/books/9780732291457/El_Magic_The_Life_of_Hazem_El_Masri/index.aspx

Does anyone know if this is the same as his old book or if they are releasing a
new book altogether given that it is due for release on 14/11/2009?

OTTO

Playing Pablo
Reaction score
from that website theres about 50 extra pages in this one... Must just be an updated version...

~stacie

Michael Ennis ♥
Reaction score
They probably just added some more with about his retirement & stuff.
I want it! D=

Chicharito

DOGGIES ARMY!!!
Reaction score
x2...still cant believe he wont be there next year :(

bLaQDoG..

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Oh ffs :(

Can we take our current versions to the Book company and have the extra pages pressed into our old ones? :p

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
i lost my one so ill be getting another one.

zeedog

Bulldog Fanatic
Reaction score
Aahhh..... I will miss him after every try we score..no matter who kicks for conversion.

Chicharito

DOGGIES ARMY!!!
Reaction score
wont be able to hear "try converted by hazem el masri" *wipes tear from eye*

kimlo

ADMlN
Reaction score
I will buy :grinning:
What a legend going to miss him so much!

_BT_

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rudd puts pen to that old El Masri magic

PRIME Minister Kevin Rudd has written a foreword for the new print run of El Magic: The Life of Hazem El Masri.Mr Rudd pays tribute to El Masri, who retired from rugby league in September, having played 317 games for the Bulldogs as well as having represented NSW, Australian and Lebanon.

The winger rewrote the record books with his prodigious goalkicking.

''Even if he had not become one of rugby league's most diligent and gifted players, Hazem El Masri was always going to be someone special,'' Mr Rudd writes.

''As a child of 11 he fled war-torn Lebanon for the racially divisive suburbs of western Sydney, where he grew into a symbol of quiet dignity and a role model for all Australians.

''Guided by his faith and his love of family, Hazem has weathered some of the heaviest storms in a turbulent era not just for the National Rugby League but the nation as a whole.''

Mr Rudd lauds El Masri's on-field performances.

''He's won a grand final, played for Australia, NSW and Lebanon, and is one of the most respected NRL players in Australia. Not bad for a kid from Tripoli who grew up playing soccer.

''And the nickname of 'El Magic' is fitting. If ever there was a person on whom young people should model their approach to the game and to life, it is Hazem El Masri.''
Has a new foreword

bLaQDoG..

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
That's awesome - can't wait to buy the updated version.

But since when was Hazem a child of 11?? :whacky:

''As a child of 11 he fled war-torn Lebanon for the racially divisive suburbs of western Sydney, where he grew into a symbol of quiet dignity and a role model for all Australians.

phelps_fan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I ordered mine off www.booktopia.com.au and recieved my copy today. I was expecting the old one but got the new one. It has updated photos in it and a foreward by Kevin Rudd.

Status
Not open for further replies.