Early NRL matches revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Sparkle

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
THE NRL will stage a Melbourne Storm-Bulldogs grand final rematch in a Thursday night blockbuster in round three of next year's premiership.

Channel Nine has chosen the Thursday night matches for the first three weeks, with the Roosters and Souths to open the season followed by the Eels and Bulldogs in the second round.

This column has been leaked details of an early draft of Channel Nine's free-to-air choices on Thursday, Friday and Sunday in the opening 20 rounds.

Again, the Brisbane Broncos will get more Channel Nine coverage than any other club because of the ratings they attract in Queensland.

It's understood 18 of their matches in the first 20 rounds will be shown on free-to-air on Thursday or Friday night.

Nine is obviously expecting the Rabbitohs and the Bulldogs to be highly competitive again because they have been given 14 free-to-air spots each.

The next best is Manly with 10 appearances.

The scheduling requests have come from Nine sports director Steve Crawley and Matt Callander, the station's head of rugby league broadcasts.

Surprisingly, Wayne Bennett's Newcastle Knights have been given only five games on free-to-air.

The Raiders and the Warriors have fared even worse withone game each.

The Cronulla Sharks, boosted by the signings of Beau Ryan, Luke Lewis and Michael Gordon, will get at least eight games. Nine is also expecting wooden-spooners Parramatta to improve under Ricky Stuart by choosing them for eight games.

The draw for the entire 26 rounds will not be finalised until the middle of next month.

Under the new broadcasting agreement with Nine and Fox Sports, full scheduling will be decided for the first 20 rounds.

Should Nine's early draft be ratified, the Broncos' domination of free-to-air games will be a major talking point among the rival clubs.
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...matches-revealed/story-e6frexnr-1226504520637

Good idea or a dumb idea for the Bulldogs to play 2 Thursday night games in a row? Seems stupid since now we know that all of NSW will be just getting Bronco Night Football on Fridays from rounds 1 - 3 most likely.

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
Yeah I saw that last night on Tw@tter, dont like the idea of us playing 2 Thursday night games in a row especially away down in mAlbourne

MAD DOG

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
damn.... i only want the dogs on free to air live or leave it to fox live... are they still doing delayed telecast on sunday? hope not- the worst coverage....

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Thursday night footy is a dumb idea.
Completely agree.

Thursday Night footy was the NRL catering for Ch9's desperate grab at Thursday night ratings (without need to put on Big Bang Theory, The Block or Two and a Half Men repeats for the 40th time).

Of course the fact they only just avoided being put in the hand of administrators this month says to me that ratings for all days are down for them.

It'll fall flat on its arse. People who work during the week won't be arsed getting out to footy on a Thursday night (even moreso in colder winter), and parents won't take kids to the footy Thurs night with school the next day.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
It'll fall flat on its arse. People who work during the week won't be arsed getting out to footy on a Thursday night (even moreso in colder winter), and parents won't take kids to the footy Thurs night with school the next day.
so then its a win for channel 9....

btw dont talk about colder winter situations when this is only a first 4 rounds thing

Harby

Trance Family
Reaction score
Better than Monday night though..

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
to make thursday night footy work, im betting channel 9 will go with a broncos game every friday as standard because fridays rate well in qld and have 2 sydney based teams play on friday nights live to get ratings in syd........ but will pick a top clash every thursday to get the audence on side and take ratings away from the game plan on 10, and then make up the numbers with all the remaining teams on the sunday time slot

dogsday

Kennel Participant
Gilded
Reaction score
Not fkn happy
Nor am i & probably thousands of others. I travel from Wollongong for every Dogs home games (of which i enjoy doing) with my 2 sons, so i know who won' be attending thur night footy.

Kiraz Crazy

Hasler_For_PM
Reaction score
I think thursday night football has the potential to have excellent TV ratings, but it will have at best the equivilant of monday night in attendance

Book

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Hate the idea of playing on a Thursday. I also hate that we always seem to have to go down to Melbourne first, and we are lucky if we get to play them in Sydney.

Sandra's Bollocks

Est. 1979
Reaction score
so is it actually confirmed we'll be playing @ AAMI stadium in round 3? its prob likely though considering they were talking about taking our home game to mackay again.

yeah thursday night traffic's gonna be a b!tch dont forget.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well , we can't have any bias toward the Dogs. Melbourne must have home ground advantage after all.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
Well , we can't have any bias toward the Dogs. Melbourne must have home ground advantage after all.
even if there is bias to the dogs against melbourne, greenberg would defer it to cook islands or something

Status
Not open for further replies.