Dylan Edwards for 2023 ? Thoughts

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He wouldn't cost the world. Ran for over 220m in the GF with a broken foot.

Would you take him over Dufty for 2023 onwards ?

Safe, proven big match player. Decent but not quite as good in attack maybe but better in defence including at organising the defensive line.

Imagine if we ended up with this spine for 2023 (including 3 premiership winners). If we shed those off contract at the end of 2022 (RFM, Dufty, Stimson etc) and shopped a player or 2 (Thompson) it could be possible.

1 Dylan Edwards
6 Matt Burton
7 Jake Averillo / BBO
9 Api Koroisau

1 Dylan Edwards
2 JAC
3 Brent Naden
4 Braidon Burns / Schoupp / Alamoti
5 Nick Cotric
6 Matt Burton
7 Jake Averillo / BBO
8 Paul Vaughan
9 Api Koroisau
10 ? (Mavoni Tuifua / Max King / Chris Potalo)
11 TPJ
12 Jack Hetherington
13 Josh Jackson

Last edited:

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
The Panthers will try and re-sign him for what he's worth and he loves the Panthers and doesn't want to leave so I can see him being a decent amount on the salary cap if he comes here. As a spine player besides support play (one of the best) he doesn't offer anything in attack. If you were to ask me right now it's a massive upgrade on Dufty but it might we worth seeing how Dufty goes unless we can sign a marquee fullback (Manu and Gutherson only 2 available, both expensive), maybe Edwards will re-sign before we know tho. The art of the salary cap I guess.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Even Api at booker has a big question mark for mine. He’s on the decline and who knows what stage he will be at in 23. I’d rather a younger option than trying to recycle every Panthers player after their peak.

Last edited:

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He wouldn't cost the world. Ran for over 220m in the GF with a broken foot.

Would you take him over Dufty for 2023 onwards ?

Decent but not quite as good in attack maybe but better in defence including at organising the defensive line.

Imagine if we ended up with this spine for 2023 (including 3 premiership winners). If we shed those off contract at the end of 2022 (RFM, Dufty, Stimson etc) and shopped a player or 2 (Thompson) it could be possible.

1 Dylan Edwards
6 Matt Burton
7 Jake Averillo / BBO
9 Api Koroisau

1 Dylan Edwards
2 JAC
3 Brent Naden
4 Braidon Burns / Schoupp / Alamoti
5 Nick Cotric
6 Matt Burton
7 Jake Averillo / BBO
8 Paul Vaughan
9 Api Koroisau
10 ? (Mavoni Tuifua / Max King / Chris Potalo)
11 TPJ
12 Jack Hetherington
13 Josh Jackson
I honestly dont think we need to even be thinking about fb at the moment. Lets see how dufty goes, and if he struggles theres also a chance we could give averilo a run at the back, and move BBO into the HB role.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Personally I think the dogs were always gunning for ponga in 2023 (just a hunch) but I dunno if we couldn't on expansion team getting in so soon. Can't see us approaching Edwards.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I believe that the club needs to be focused on searching / developing a fullback who would be judged as being one of the top 3 or 4 fb in the competition - Edwards even on his best day is not in the same class as the top 5 fb in the comp - TT, Tedesco, Mitchell, Ponga, Paypnhausen.

All easier said than done - I also think the spine doesnt need 4 superstar players - top qualility forwards that go forwrad n dominate with and without the ball consistently and and two star quality players in the spine will put a team in a position to win most games

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Even Api at booker has a big question mark for mine. He’s on the decline and who knows what stage he will be at in 23. I’d rather a younger option than trying to recycle ever Panthers player after their peak.
I'm not too fussed about Edwards but the trouble is we have to decide now if we want Api. I think we should throw 600-650K at Api for 2023 like an insurance policy just in case Cook doesn't work out. Don't re-sign RFM whose injury prone anyway would cover 450-500K of it

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm not too fussed about Edwards but the trouble is we have to decide now if we want Api. I think we should throw 600-650K at Api for 2023 like an insurance policy just in case Cook doesn't work out. Don't re-sign RFM whose injury prone anyway would cover 450-500K of it
I dont think Api is who the club needs - club wants to be development club - Ghantous n Gray both have potential, as do the 9s from the HM this year.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
More like we'll need an insurance policy if we sign Api. He's missed about an average of 7 regular season games a year for the past 4 seasons. He's still a good player but his best years are behind him and he's nearly 30. Whatever hooker we sign for big money would ideally be a more long term option.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don’t see Api as a insurance policy at all in fact it’s more of a panic buy. Age and injuries aren’t on his side throwing $600+ his way at this stage of the player market for 23 is madness.

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Dufty just underrated at this point. Nick meaney is better than edwards lol. Dude is trash and an absolute flog. Always in fights the grubby **** but he looks like he is 5 :joycat: