DT Podcast - Buzz Says Barrett Sacking Only A Matter Of When

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I
There it is in black and white. Would Gus lie ;)

He buys the players. Sorts the terms and money with managers. Is a timid bloke without much of an opinion of anything about footy. Never over talks or argues with panelists with a differing view . Never coached or had much success with SOO tactics or turning around struggling clubs or in previously firing coaches he deems unsuitable.

But no he doesn't have any input in the playing roster.

As a professional courtesy he wouldn't tread on Barretts toes YET. But if he isn't happy with the selections. Sees obvious bad decisions with selections, gameplans or tactics and our defence, I believe Gus will have no hesitation in taking a more active role in first "mentoring", then slowly but surely taking a more active role if the softly softly support approach is not working with Barrett or the teams success.

If Gus' job WASN'T to do that as part of his appointment, it would not be realistic and no doubt not an appointment Gus would have signed with Khoury. If so then he'd be trying to resurrect the club without any powers to try and fix it (before firing the coach).

The first step in the process would be sitting down with Baz and sorting the team selections, style of play, defence and game plans.

Gus has been brought in to turn the club around (after Barretts first extremely poor year). Proof enough his appointment wouldn't just include player retention and recruitment bc for success in turning around wooden spooners, it would entail complete responsibility for ensuring CB Bulldogs team success.

Just my opinion of course but how could it work in any other capacity as Head of Football and brainstorming using all of Gus' experience and ruthless aim for success. Gus is very aware his reputation rides on the back of making this club respected again and successful. If he has to push poor team selections of Barrett's out of the way, he will if necessary and it will be done so if Gus feels its warranted IMO.

Others may disagree.

What it says to me is... it is what it is atm... but we have that hard nosed Football Manager who will fix it ...even if we dont have a hard nosed coach.

Last edited:

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I

He buys the players. Sorts the terms and money with managers. Is a timid bloke without much of an opinion of anything about footy. Never over talks or argues with panelists with a differing view . Never coached or had much success with SOO tactics or turning around struggling clubs or in previously firing coaches he deems unsuitable.

As a professional courtesy he wouldn't tread on Barretts toes YET. But if he isn't happy with the selections. Sees obvious bad decisions with selections, gameplans or tactics and our defence, I believe Gus will have no hesitation in taking a more active role in first "mentoring", then slowly but surely taking a more active role if the softly softly support approach is not working with Barrett or the teams success.

If Gus' job WASN'T to do that as part of his appointment, it would not be realistic and no doubt not an appointment Gus would have signed with Khoury. If so then he'd be trying to resurrect the club without any powers to try and fix it (before firing the coach).

The first step in the process would be sitting down with Baz and sorting the team selections, style of play, defence and game plans.

Gus has been brought in to turn the club around (after Barretts first extremely poor year). Proof enough his appointment wouldn't just include player retention and recruitment bc for success in turning around wooden spooners, it would entail complete responsibility for ensuring CB Bulldogs team success.

Just my opinion of course but how could it work in any other capacity as Head of Football and brainstorming using all of Gus' experience and ruthfullness for success. Gus is very aware his reputation rides on the back of making this club respected again and successful. If he has to push poor team selections of Barrett's out of the way, he will if necessary and it will be done so if Gus feels its warranted IMO.

Others may disagree.

What it says to me is...it is that it is what it is atm... but we have that hard nosed Football Manager who will fix it ...even if we dont have a hard nosed coach.
Of course he has input in selections. May not be directly but definitely indirectly. Through conversations, meetings etc

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I listened to it and like a few other jounos I have heard or read of late, I think Barrett’s good will honeymoon with the media is well and truly done.

Drunkfield has an agenda but most of what he said has also been said by a few others. Most comments I have heard is they were excited to see what the new roster would bring, and the names might have changed but the performance hasn’t.

No one expected miracles but definitely assumed we would see a new look with promise. Most journos gave him room last year until the cavalry arrived.

The pressure on Todd Payton, Madge, OBrien, Kevvie and probably even Brad Arthur will be pretty strong this year. But Barrett will be under the microscope.

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He came here because he was guaranteed a first grade spot. Nothing to do with Baz being coach.
Yeah but he definitely won’t activate he’s player option for 500K. Worth a lot more than that.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I

Just my opinion of course but how could it work in any other capacity as Head of Football and brainstorming using all of Gus' experience and ruthfullness for success. Gus is very aware his reputation rides on the back of making this club respected again and successful. If he has to push poor team selections of Barrett's out of the way, he will if necessary and it will be done so if Gus feels its warranted IMO.

Others may disagree.

What it says to me is...it is that it is what it is atm... but we have that hard nosed Football Manager who will fix it ...even if we dont have a hard nosed coach.
you can have your opinion, thats cool.
but i am like @TwinTurbo on this, Gus has control of the roster yes and im sure he talks to TB about this also. But Gus has zero input on team selections.
the head coach is head coach for a reason, Gus has no input into game plans, style of play etc which you have noted. Thats not how it works sorry and ive seen it at a high level.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Flanno is so far on the outer I’m surprised media outlets still persist with the narrative of him being our organising 7 that would be a perfect foil for Burton.

Even more surprised some kennelers (especially ones with Flanno profile names) think he is going to get a shot soon

He’s played garbage mins in two trials which for a halfback there’s no real opportunities to put together a good stint. He is so far down the order it’s not funny

We are trying to move him on that’s so blatantly obvious
the media are telegraph/fox and gus is the oppostion, they are death riding him. At least we are being talked about and our sponsors are getting their money's worth

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I listened to it and I wouldnt worry about it.
Its clear that Buzz is a fuckwit, he proves that whenever he writes an article or opens his mouth.
Funny thing is much of what was said was true at the beginning but then he started unnecessarily piling on shit and trying to start trouble for us.
So unprofessional, it baffles me how he has a job.
Mate the only thing close to the truth would be Flanno jr upset he’s not in 1st grade and whinging to his dad who then tells the worlds worst journo. I thought the kid was hard done by at the roosters getting dropped multiple times but looking back if he couldn’t perform consistently under Robinson with all that talent around him I guess he was never going to set the world on fire here.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Mate the only thing close to the truth would be Flanno jr upset he’s not in 1st grade and whinging to his dad who then tells the worlds worst journo. I thought the kid was hard done by at the roosters getting dropped multiple times but looking back if he couldn’t perform consistently under Robinson with all that talent around him I guess he was never going to set the world on fire here.
robbo sets standards and he didnt reach them, so he was sacked.
He has done zero at the dogs to get another chance, he was given several last year and didnt aim up. He was told what to work on in the offseason and i didnt see any improvement from the trials.
i feel for him because he is obviously playing with zero confidence, he works hard and trains hard, he hopefully can find his game again in NSW cup

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
you can have your opinion, thats cool.
but i am like @TwinTurbo on this, Gus has control of the roster yes and im sure he talks to TB about this also. But Gus has zero input on team selections.
the head coach is head coach for a reason, Gus has no input into game plans, style of play etc which you have noted. Thats not how it works sorry and ive seen it at a high level.
No worries. Not many fans believe Gus has no input, now or in the future, if we dont improve, but you are welcome to have your views...with what would be correct in conventional times, but these are far from conventional times.

Knowing Gus, and his personality, as we do for decades now, many would find it inconceivable that he has no input with every single important decision if things dont improve .

He has been brought in to drag us up to a top team. Baz' decisions, if wrong in Gus' eyes, will be challenged.

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hate to say it..
But I can see Burton not activating his player option for the 3rd year if Baz isn’t here..
How would that sit with Kennelers?
Could depend on a couple of things...

- If Gus is good enough to extend Burton's contract before he would possibly sack Barrett without Matt having a "coach clause".

- If Burton would be just as happy to stay playing under Cameron Ciraldo.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Could depend on a couple of things...

- If Gus is good enough to extend Burton's contract before he would possibly sack Barrett without Matt having a "coach clause".

- If Burton would be just as happy to stay playing under Cameron Ciraldo.
Why do you think Ciraldo would do a better job ? There is absolutely nothing to suggest he could.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Yeah if we are going to go with a young coach, he'd be my pick. But i still think someone like Neil Henry would command better respect.

He also talks less, unlike Barrett who rabbles on to try to make it look like he knows all the answers.
TB does talk a good dribble - we are all still waiting for something different or at least resemble an NRL team - admittedly, last game vs Tigers was probably as good as I’ve seen us since Steve Georgalis took over and we started looking half decent.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He can’t do worse than last place Howie
Not one player has improved under t-muppet
Not one
Mate I have doubts on Baz but if we signed Ciraldo that’s 3 unproven coaches in a row. We have the $$ to sign a big name coach if need be.

I have no dramas moving him on if we start shit. But not for Ciraldo, Flanagan or Green.

Yep we came last in 21 but unless we had Bellamy or Robinson with that roster every other coach in the NRL comes last.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
No worries. Not many fans believe Gus has no input, now or in the future, if we dont improve, but you are welcome to have your views...with what would be correct in conventional times, but these are far from conventional times.

Knowing Gus, and his personality, as we do for decades now, many would find it inconceivable that he has no input with every single important decision if things dont improve .

He has been brought in to drag us up to a top team. Baz' decisions, if wrong in Gus' eyes, will be challenged.
I dont want to come across condescending, but Gus has zero input on TB coaching decisions, i know this for a fact. No club tells the coach who or not to select, thats just ridiculous to say they do.
Yes gus now has control over pathways and recruiting but thats it.
Gus could not have any grounds to sack TB if he was doing what you are saying, it just doesnt happen at that level.
Do you think politis tells robbo what to do, no it doesn’t happen

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hate to say it..
But I can see Burton not activating his player option for the 3rd year if Baz isn’t here..
How would that sit with Kennelers?
Its ok. We have Averillo. Besides.... we can use Burtons money to getvour superstar halfback.