Opinion Drop Burton for 1 game

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I said Mahoney was a liability defensively, people on here said it wasn't a problem though because he "offered other things". Our hooker and highest paid prop are bad defenders, that's where our biggest problem starts
I knew he struggled at Parra the last few years with missed tackles but I was hoping it was because he had shoulder surgery and wasn't near full fitness. I don't mind his misses when he tries to put on shots but far too often he gets bumped off in first contact which exposes the other forwards and leads to quick play the balls. Plus he's not offering much in attack. He needs to step it up and clean up those areas of his game.

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Burton wasn't the problem today. He'll probably make the bench in Origin. Suggesting to drop him is madness.

Reed Mahoney has played like shit after the first month of the season and misses a million tackles a game but every week everyone hammers Burton.
Never said he was the problem today.. I just think a message needs to be sent to the playing group as a whole that if we can drop Burton for a week then no one is safe and maybe they will pull their fingers out.. yes there are so many others that need to be dropped but that will not send a message

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He should have taken him off the first time he chased Moses. That’s on CC.

TPJ is our best go forward the coach needs to get the best out of him he has to harness it.

Im all for moving TPJ on but who for? We don’t have any players to replace him so until that happens the coach has to do better.
cmon man. The dude is like late 20s, played first grade to boot, and has now represented nsw albeit still subject to the same brain farts he usually dishes up.

yep. I agree cc needs to sort this out but sometimes things can’t be sorted out. 100% he was well within his power to hook him after the first chase down, cc hooked him in the saints game when a wayward offload led to a long range try.

At some point you gotta say, this is a grown man, who needs to be wary of his weaknesses. If you can’t address that by yourself at times, and still need to be baby sat, then it’s all over.

we lack depth, you’re right. But let’s drop him and give another bloke a go cause Tpj has had enough chances.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Nah don’t drop,.. just need a top class 7 who Burton can play in the 6 next too.

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
cmon man. The dude is like late 20s, played first grade to boot, and has now represented nsw albeit still subject to the same brain farts he usually dishes up.

yep. I agree cc needs to sort this out but sometimes things can’t be sorted out. 100% he was well within his power to hook him after the first chase down, cc hooked him in the saints game when a wayward offload led to a long range try.

At some point you gotta say, this is a grown man, who needs to be wary of his weaknesses. If you can’t address that by yourself at times, and still need to be baby sat, then it’s all over.

we lack depth, you’re right. But let’s drop him and give another bloke a go cause Tpj has had enough chances.
He played well the last two weeks keeping it simple. It’s possible for TPJ to play well and keep his game simple. That’s on the coach and the players around him.

Lets bring Sutton back in for him so we have zero go forward in our forwards.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
How is it absurd? Burton is a shit half.
He had 4 tries and 10 try assists in 14 games. He has more try assists than Munster, Cleary, Latrell and the same as DCE and Hynes. If he's playing shit for 90% of the season like you say and still producing those numbers in a shit team with no forward pack, then I can't wait to see what he does when he plays well.

Ideally we play all 3 more often. We look more dangerous when all 3 are out there together.

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
This thread is not about Burtons playing ability, it’s about sending a message, do I have to spell it out
if it happened before with a player of josh morris calibre then it can happen again

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He should have taken him off the first time he chased Moses. That’s on CC.

TPJ is our best go forward the coach needs to get the best out of him he has to harness it.

Im all for moving TPJ on but who for? We don’t have any players to replace him so until that happens the coach has to do better.
Prob cos CC gave him direct instruction to terrorise Moses ….backfired

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Never said he was the problem today.. I just think a message needs to be sent to the playing group as a whole that if we can drop Burton for a week then no one is safe and maybe they will pull their fingers out.. yes there are so many others that need to be dropped but that will not send a message
You send the wrong message and confuse the squad if you randomly drop the best player in the team who's playing better than most of the squad. Realistically Preston is the only player immune from criticism.

CC will send a message if he drops Perham, Okunbur, Waddell etc in one week and benches TPJ.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I knew he struggled at Parra the last few years with missed tackles but I was hoping it was because he had shoulder surgery and wasn't near full fitness. I don't mind his misses when he tries to put on shots but far too often he gets bumped off in first contact which exposes the other forwards and leads to quick play the balls. Plus he's not offering much in attack. He needs to step it up and clean up those areas of his game.
I brought up his shoulder when we signed him, quite clear it has impacted him in recent years. Last year he packed on some extra weight to try and help it and that just made things worse. At this point we would've been better off playing Flanagan at hooker and saving Mahoney's coin for someone else because all you need at hooker these days is a player than can defend and pass.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Apart from today CC tried to make him an 80 min player but he’s getting spotted up and his attack is blunted

Prob need Rajab coming on to stint at hooker

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Burton wasn't the problem today. He'll probably make the bench in Origin. Suggesting to drop him is madness.

Reed Mahoney has played like shit after the first month of the season and misses a million tackles a game but every week everyone hammers Burton.
H you pad yo see people are starting to agree with me about Reed. So overrated. Had a chance to redeem himself today and did the exact opposite.

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I brought up his shoulder when we signed him, quite clear it has impacted him in recent years. Last year he packed on some extra weight to try and help it and that just made things worse. At this point we would've been better off playing Flanagan at hooker and saving Mahoney's coin for someone else because all you need at hooker these days is a player than can defend and pass.
He probably needs a few weeks off I reckon.. he looks buggered