Drew Hutchinson signing

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
What do you expect us to do? Go sign Nathan Cleary and Payne Haas rn?

You’ve been around long enough to know and see what’s happening roster wise.
Yeh understand that, at least they are “footballers “
Give 100%
im just saying cant see us asa top8 threat unless some of the juniors jump out of the ground

Turvey Chip and Chase

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The knock on our recruitment for next year on this page is as embarrassing as the newscorp journos we all bash.

You can’t fucking sign players that ain’t out there. It’s a terrible buyer market given the increase in the cap and therefore the ability of clubs to keep anyone decent.

But it’s still 6 months til next year and I’m pretty sure Gus will do whatever is possible.

In the meantime I think any dipshit bagging out recruitment for next year should be giving examples of other clubs who have done better for 2024 so far.

- Luke Brooks on $800k
- Jack Wighton on $800k to play centre
- Kyle Flanagan on free board with his dad to the dragons

We could go all in for Josh Schuster at $850k to get him away from Manly. The discussions between paying freight and paying “freight” to get him to Belmore would need to be clear though
I’m having a go, and I don’t consider myself a dipshit. More so, a rusted on blue and white blooded fan for 45 years (my first memory of league being 1979).

I’ve been solid through so much. Losing 4 guns to Wests. Super League losing another 4 guns in 1 hit. Salary cap, Coffs harbour media beat up. Disruptive fans. Mason walk out then SBW walkout! Dessie leaving us with no juniors and over paid players. Now, this BS period of rubbish served upon shit.

I personally feel we are now buying TOO many vanilla players who havent nailed down a position in a starting 13. We are taking them all. They are players not good enough for week in week out starting in 1st grade quality teams.

I’m ok for 2, perhaps 3 at a stretch, but in “my” opinion (and I’ve followed long enough to feel I have a valid one) it’s way too many.

Yes, I know we can’t always get a Tino or a Haas, but I’d like to get at least ONE big signing forward. We have the ability with our management surely.

Howie, I rate your opinions very much, but I’m sorry, on this one I don’t quite agree. Just because some are getting a little worried with too much of that same utility type player (cover 1,6,7,9 and maybe 2nd row), doesn’t mean that opinion is rubbish. I want more signings of a quality starter who plays A position very well.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I’m having a go, and I don’t consider myself a dipshit. More so, a rusted on blue and white blooded fan for 45 years (my first memory of league being 1979).

I’ve been solid through so much. Losing 4 guns to Wests. Super League losing another 4 guns in 1 hit. Salary cap, Coffs harbour media beat up. Disruptive fans. Mason walk out then SBW walkout! Dessie leaving us with no juniors and over paid players. Now, this BS period of rubbish served upon shit.

I personally feel we are now buying TOO many vanilla players who havent nailed down a position in a starting 13. We are taking them all. They are players not good enough for week in week out starting in 1st grade quality teams.

I’m ok for 2, perhaps 3 at a stretch, but in “my” opinion (and I’ve followed long enough to feel I have a valid one) it’s way too many.

Yes, I know we can’t always get a Tino or a Haas, but I’d like to get at least ONE big signing forward. We have the ability with our management surely.

Howie, I rate your opinions very much, but I’m sorry, on this one I don’t quite agree. Just because some are getting a little worried with too much of that same utility type player (cover 1,6,7,9 and maybe 2nd row), doesn’t mean that opinion is rubbish. I want more signings of a quality starter who plays A position very well.
I can only hope and assume that the players bought are professional, leaders at training which will lead experience to our younger players
If we are looking to breed within they need hard nose players to teach them the way
They will make us competitive but top8 not sure unless crighton can carry us

Yougra

Kennel Established
Reaction score
So nov 1
We should be going hard for imo
Hamlin uele
Tom deardon
Helum luki
Yep, at least there are some quality forwards available in 2025 and realistically we should be able to pick up 3 from the following list

Fotuaika
Hamlin Uele
Jacob Safiti
Lindsay Smith
Coen Hess
Kaloamatangi
Jordan Riki
Hudson Young

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yeh understand that, at least they are “footballers “
Give 100%
im just saying cant see us asa top8 threat unless some of the juniors jump out of the ground
It will keep us competitive until the juniors arrive. At the least we need to build a core group before those juniors arrive.

BulldogsNation

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Hutcho has been bought to challenge for the #7

He can defs get a side around the park. Interesting if he puts pressure on Sexton

Jebbundy

Kennel Established
Reaction score
We need balance through all grades, I feel like that’s what Gus is doing, putting hard workers everywhere.
the next up mentality isn’t there as our jnrs are not nrl level. If pathways is to work we need talent throughout. I get the frustration but do think we need to see this plan through, from the last 4 coaches and board I’ve seen no plan just a “here you go, do your best” and see what happens, this time they clearly have a plan and have told everybody it’s time we need. We have a lot of positions to fill but a hell of a chest to play with now tpj, Thomson, flanno, avo, oks, pele, maybe wadell, Sutton, Rfm, topine, burns, need to see it through, small opinion only

Mak Dogs

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Hutch does what he's asked. FFS just dont put him at centre like that bonehead Robbo did a few times.....ahh doesn't work.

He can be a decent utility and has a reasonable kicking game. We picked him up out of Super League as a no name low cost player.

Good luck Drew.
Whats his defence like? I’m sick of turnstiles

Turvey Chip and Chase

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can only hope and assume that the players bought are professional, leaders at training which will lead experience to our younger players
If we are looking to breed within they need hard nose players to teach them the way
They will make us competitive but top8 not sure unless crighton can carry us
Agree fully.
If we are going down this route of no stand out performers, then I hope they at least leave something on the training field for the youngsters to learn from.

Old Man JB

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Ffs….

Ok, so is Taffe cover for Sexton at half? Or Hutchinson cover for Taffe at half? Or salmon cover for Hutchinson who covers Sexton? Or Mann cover for Taffe, Salmon and Hutchinson, or Sexton? Or is Sexton cover for Mann or Salmon? Or…. FFS!!
Enough of these utilities who aren’t good enough to be regular starters at their clubs in permanent positions!

Can we just buy an out and out half and a couple of props ffs???!?!!!
Sure thing, I'll run down to woolies after smoko.

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It will keep us competitive until the juniors arrive. At the least we need to build a core group before those juniors arrive.
I see our under 7's doing great guns.

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
yeah I can see this signing, a week ago on 100% footy Gus was talking him up. Said something like injuries at the worst times derailed his career. Said he was a very good Half in juniors.

Not sure how I feel, maybe a good pick up at right price. Sexton started pretty strong but didn't really stand up in last few games. Maybe Gus sees Woods as our future, and players like Hutch and Sexton and just for the interim.

Bulldog wazza

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Whats his defence like? I’m sick of turnstiles
He can tackle and does scramble well when the line is broken.. This is something our current crop have not being doing. Need more defence minded and working footy players to establish a level not seen for years in the joint.
Hutch Critta and indeed Salmon will bring this to the team next year. This in my opinion will bring the higher standards that the Juniors wishing to come into the top 30 to where they will need to dig deeper to earn a place in the squad in 2025 and beyond. 2026 will be a very good year in my prediction if we stay strong now and build and work to always be uncomfortable and stretch our current sentiment in the capabilities of the team. Asking for now may be possible if 3 things happen.
1 We sign 2 Alpha Forwards
2 We sign an elite 7
3 Pigs start flying backwards after Penrith,Warriors and the Broncos withdraw from season 2024.

We will return but it's a journey.