News Dragons refuse to release young gun

Rebuilding Phase

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
‘He doesn’t want to play under Anthony Griffin’: Dragons refuse to release young gun

Dragons young gun Tyrell Sloan won’t be released by the club “no matter what” despite the fullback reportedly no longer wanting to play under coach Anthony Griffin.

Sloan entered this season with big expectations but played just eight games and half of those were from Round 20 onwards.

The 20-year-old is unwilling to sit behind Cody Ramsey in the pecking order and a number of rival clubs are monitoring the situation.

Sloan has grown frustrated under Griffin and believes he’ll get more minutes elsewhere, according to veteran journalist Dave Riccio.

“The most pressing situation for the St George Illawarra Dragons is a potential release for Tyrell Sloan, their gun young winger-fullback, who is agitating for a release,” Riccio said on NRL 360.

“I understand that hasn’t been formerly requested as yet. I can tell you I believe that will be rejected no matter what.”

NRL 360 host Braith Anasta asked why Sloan wants to leave the club.

“Because he doesn’t want to play under Anthony Griffin. He doesn’t believe he’s getting the right pathway and that he has a future there,” Riccio said.

“I believe St George Illawarra management, as we’ve already seen, we’ve had no clarity whatsoever from Saints on what they’re doing in 2024.

“All we know is about next year and I fear that they’re heading down the path of the Michael Maguire situation that we saw at the Wests Tigers, where they do the big dance about giving the coach so many weeks and rounds to get going when ultimately it just creates uncertainty and conjecture about players futures.

“Sloan is not the only player questioning where he goes from beyond 2023, and I think the Saints need to make a call.”

NRL 360 host Paul Kent said Sloan should tough it out at the Dragons, while Riccio also revealed the club doesn’t have the cash for Titans star David Fifita.
“What about going out and having a crack?” Kent said.

“The coach will pick the best player. Anthony Griffin isn’t going to leave a better player in reserve grade.

“Unfortunately the way the game is going these days, the coach is constantly trying to prove himself to the players. Players don’t have to prove themselves to the coach any more, players get the shits and say `you know what I’m out of here’.”

Wayne Bennett’s Dolphins are reportedly lurking to sign Sloan,with Jamayne Isaako their current option to play at fullback.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...3/news-story/f1c6ad6a9aca0d97ea7af5ae32ad7630

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
he is being a fukn sook, learn how to earn your position. He had opportunities and didnt take them.
what a soft cock, harden up.
why is it always the coach fault?

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
His pathway is blocked by a 22 year old. I don't think Sloan was given a proper opportunity and was dropped way too soon (I mean look at Amone, was useless for most of the year, I still think he isn't that good personally) but Ramsey's also been good. The coach picks the best team in his opinion as it's a results business, but obviously like we saw with Barrett you can get it horribly wrong.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
His pathway is blocked by a 22 year old. I don't think Sloan was given a proper opportunity and was dropped way too soon (I mean look at Amone, was useless for most of the year, I still think he isn't that good personally) but Ramsey's also been good.
you just answered your own question, ramsay out played him. the soft cock needs to harden up

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
you just answered your own question, ramsay out played him. the soft cock needs to harden up
It's nothing new, if he thinks he's a NRL player and there's another club where he can play fullback at (or at least a higher chance) he's going to whinge for a release. To be fair the Dragons botched Saab and Robson off the top of my head, probably a few more too, Garrick's another.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
It's nothing new, if he thinks he's a NRL player and there's another club where he can play fullback at (or at least a higher chance) he's going to whinge for a release. To be fair the Dragons botched Saab and Robson off the top of my head, probably a few more too, Garrick's another.
fuk him make him honour his contract and work harder to make the top grade

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Just bring in a transfer system. If the Dragons were getting a transfer fee they’d let him leave.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Won't be surprised if Griffin gets replaced by Flanagan before Christmas
Don't know about the Flanagan part but I agree, I can't see Griffin coaching past next season, if he lasts that long..

If they're not going to play Sloan and they think he's not as good as they hoped, then let him go. Clubs are happy to sign players who break their contracts at other clubs but want to play hardball with backup youngsters they have no intention of playing.

Seems like Griffin being a hard-ass for the sake of it like he was at Brisbane.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Don't know about the Flanagan part but I agree, I can't see Griffin coaching past next season, if he lasts that long..

If they're not going to play Sloan and they think he's not as good as they hoped, then let him go. Clubs are happy to sign players who break their contracts at other clubs but want to play hardball with backup youngsters they have no intention of playing.

Seems like Griffin being a hard-ass for the sake of it like he was at Brisbane.
this is the problem, why is it the coaches fault, its bullshit, he had his chance and he played shithouse. Now the manager blows up and people like you jump on board.
how about train hard over the offseason and earn your spot?

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
If Sloan wants to play more minutes, he should try not being shit at footy.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Fuck him. What happened to earning your spot in FG? Players are so entitled these days.

Barba probably wouldn't have reached his potential had Folkes/Moore not kept him back and eased him into FG.