Official Dolphins scoop up averillo for three years

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
As a matter of interest...

Can anyone recall another club congratulating their own 22 y.o. local, born and bred player, from one of their proud junior feeder clubs, on his great deal he got from a competitor club to go play for them.

I can't but maybe it's a thing?
It’s just diplomacy. Red between the lines, what Gus is really saying is, “we don’t value him as highly as Dolphins“.

PaxMaxi1980

Kennel Established
Reaction score
As I said previously, he's a real good kid. But his only asset is his speed. His defence and positional; play is pretty ordinary.
He will be replaced by a kid named Ethan Quai-Ward. This kid is the real deal. Big strong and a real footy player.
How old is Ward? I’ve never seen him play, is really any good?

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
shouldn’t have been the priority months ago
Who said it was?! That happened before this season even started iirc. They’re completely different issues. Just because Avo is currently playing centre and that’s where Xerri has played, you’ve conflated the two.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
From what I can tell we offered him ~$400k on a 2 year contract with the 2nd year at our option.
The Dolphins offered him ~$600k on a straight 3 year contract.
He's $1m richer over 3 years going to the Dolphins.
That's the "extraordinary opportunity" Gould was referring to.

Always a Bulldog
600k a season? WTF?

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
But again, months after signing the drug cheat. If they offered Avo 350 and Drug boy 300 that’s 650 on centres anyway, why not offer Avo the 400 or whatever it was he would have needed to sign on and have 250 spare for other purposes, OR if you make him an offer and he walks, THEN go out and sign drug cheats when you have no other option. The fact that syringe lad was singed months ago shows where the clubs priorities are, and it’s a fair enough thing for fans to get annoyed at it.
I understand why people are annoyed. I just don't think it will end up being a huge deal. It all depends on who they use the extra money on. If it's spent wisely to help the team in other areas then it will be fine.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
You asked have other teams have done it & they have.

He has a better coach ATM.

I am still under-sided if KO has done better. He is still too green. But hey, what would I know.
No. You said recently Broncs wanted to get rid of him to teach him a lesson and he was a troublemaker along with Lodge didn't you?

Our clubs happiness for Avo to join Phins is different. There is no animosity at all towards the player.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yeah you are right, he’s the victim here, good on him for taking the drugs, give him the dally M
I’m pretty sure I didn’t say any of that lol Crucifying a young fella for using PEDs when it is rife in all professional sports is not justified. I’m sure if he starts playing well next year you won’t care that he was on the juice for a bit.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
It’s just diplomacy. Red between the lines, what Gus is really saying is, “we don’t value him as highly as Dolphins“.
Yes otherwise he would have re-signed him but it is still odd way and fairly unique.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's just a term people use though. Maybe its not the right one.

Like when we used to see Dufty pretty much running away from tackles when he was the last man to stop the tackle. People just say soft.
While @Scoobs has a valid point, people really mean soft compared to other players, not in general. Let’s take Sharks for example as they always dominate us. They’re back 5 and mainly ctw are hardened and play tough. Same as Warriors and other teams. Hard hitups and not taking any crap. In this respect Avo is a bit soft.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
From what I can tell we offered him ~$400k on a 2 year contract with the 2nd year at our option.
The Dolphins offered him ~$600k on a straight 3 year contract.
He's $1m richer over 3 years going to the Dolphins.
That's the "extraordinary opportunity" Gould was referring to.

Always a Bulldog
Well if it was $600k then yes can now understand why Gus is genuinely happy for him to get overs like that.

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fucking pissed about this one.

He should've been given first crack at Fullback. Instead we wasted a season with a 3rd Grader.

Outside of JAC, we've lost the only player capable of scoring a try.
Yeh, agree with most of that and Avo can fill in, in a number of positions. Trouble is they’ve already paid big dollars for our FB next year as well as a top line centre.

Avo has been great for us in attack but only when our forwards got on top of opposition forwards and he is brilliant attacking weapon when given the chance BUT he does have deficiencies in defence.

Good luck to him as the Dolphins have shown they’re a handy team but desperately need depth. Signing Avo and Farnwoth adds a lot more depth to their roster in ‘24.

El Mag-Nick

Waterboy
Reaction score
Maybe you need to get your facts straight. Xerri was a cheap signing on the potential he can be around the same level before he left. It’s not one or the other. If it was, they’d probably still choose Xerri because he’d be on around half of Avo’s salary. There’s no way they signed Xerri thinking he’ll definitely be the centre once he comes over, so to say we picked him over Avo, is unlikely the case.
We picked him over everyone coming off contract this year. He was singed in December, 11 months before he’s allowed in the front door. He was signed as a priority over any other player who is coming up for renewal, if he wasn’t a priority he wouldn’t have been the first man signed.

haz123

dogs for eva
Reaction score
I’m pretty sure I didn’t say any of that lol Crucifying a young fella for using PEDs when it is rife in all professional sports is not justified. I’m sure if he starts playing well next year you won’t care that he was on the juice for a bit.
Wonder if any of these angels bagging him have ever done anything illegal in their life...
If they have how dare they continue to be employed....

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We have botched Averillo's development from playing him in the halves to fullback to centre only to have him leave and likely thrive under Bennett

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
100% People complain about recruitment and then complain about not paying overs for players like Avo. People just like to complain
10000%…The people complaining about keeping Avo on ridiculous coin are wanting what the previous admin used to do, and then wonder why we don’t have the cash to pay good coin for good spine players.

El Mag-Nick

Waterboy
Reaction score
Don’t assume I’m that much of a goldfish mate, everyone is entitled to their opinion so I don’t want it to seem like I’m having a go at anyone for disagreeing with me, but a few good games isn’t going to make me forget that he is a drug cheat

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Remember that pic posted recently and everyone thought it was Avo re-signing? Lol.

They would have probably said we can offer him x amount and if he takes it fine, of not also fine. Or they may have also decided going forward they had 2 better centres in mind. Xerri has the potential if he can get back to the form before he left. He’s big and fast. They obviously like Quai-Ward, also big and not sure how fast, but don’t think he’s a slug. Kiraz can play centre etc.

The point is, they obviously didn’t prioritise his signature and to anyone looking at it objectively, rightly so.
And another thing on Xerri, it’s not like he’s a Josh Reynolds in his mid thirties trying to recapture the form he had when Josh was 22. Of course Xerri recapturing his old form is more likely than not, Xerri is still in his early 20’s. Watch him kill it next year, he’s still very young.