Official Dogs sign Reed Mahoney (4 year deal)

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
To me this shit bagging cotric stuff is like the eel fans shit bagging Mahoney. He’s a quality Fucking player that hurts losing. Only difference is Mahoney is probably under valued at 650k and cotric is slightly overpaid for an elite winger who is so young.

I will be very disappointed if he’s released and neither Mahoney or kikau are here for 22. I don’t care what way you’re viewing it. Our roster is weaker without him.

Jac and cotric on the wings or any of Allen, Okonbor, lumelume, naden (if burns is pushed into centre) though sounds like Tpj naden Jac are one side so unlikely?

Even if alomiti explodes in the centre’s cotric is still the best winger in the team behind Jac.

That said if it’s his 600-650k is what’s used to pay Mahoney this year or even kikau then I get it. I’d rather of seen cotric get a chance here with a good squad but Mahoney is vital and our biggest upgrade possible so hopefully it’s as simple as Mahoney here early, cotric to raiders and Hodgson to eels.

That said I won’t cry if kikau comes over early to allow him and tpj give our edges strike we have dreamt of for years.

Malla

Reaction score
To me this shit bagging cotric stuff is like the eel fans shit bagging Mahoney. He’s a quality Fucking player that hurts losing. Only difference is Mahoney is probably under valued at 650k and cotric is slightly overpaid for an elite winger who is so young.

I will be very disappointed if he’s released and neither Mahoney or kikau are here for 22. I don’t care what way you’re viewing it. Our roster is weaker without him.

Jac and cotric on the wings or any of Allen, Okonbor, lumelume, naden (if burns is pushed into centre) though sounds like Tpj naden Jac are one side so unlikely?

Even if alomiti explodes in the centre’s cotric is still the best winger in the team behind Jac.

That said if it’s his 600-650k is what’s used to pay Mahoney this year or even kikau then I get it. I’d rather of seen cotric get a chance here with a good squad but Mahoney is vital and our biggest upgrade possible so hopefully it’s as simple as Mahoney here early, cotric to raiders and Hodgson to eels.

That said I won’t cry if kikau comes over early to allow him and tpj give our edges strike we have dreamt of for years.
Yeah Cotric is a good player, he’s just overpaid

Dog4life77

Kennel Established
Reaction score
So much conjecture, would parra let Mahoney go now if they get hodgson for 22? Could the dogs let jmk go to join Benji? Liddel to Canberra?
JMK to join his brother at the Tigers is an interesting prospect.
JMK could be surplus for 22 with BBO and Cook at the club.
Would releasing Cotric and JMK allow a crack at Paulo without losing Thommo?

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
JMK to join his brother at the Tigers is an interesting prospect.
JMK could be surplus for 22 with BBO and Cook at the club.
Would releasing Cotric and JMK allow a crack at Paulo without losing Thommo?
We're not adding Paulo AND keeping Thompson lol.

kmr07

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everyone thank cotric for scoring 3 tries whilst on 650k and getting toe stubbed
I think anyone playing outside Hoppa last season would have been lucky to touch the ball 3 times a game. Don’t judge Cotric on the performances with last seasons squad. Let me remind you Charlie Staines scored 4 tries on debut playing on the end of Penrith’s backline

Interestingg

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Fb rumours that Cotric has signed with raiders effective immediately. Guess we’ll find out based on where he rocks up to training tomorrow. Too much smoke

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
I think anyone playing outside Hoppa last season would have been lucky to touch the ball 3 times a game. Don’t judge Cotric on the performances with last seasons squad. Let me remind you Charlie Staines scored 4 tries on debut playing on the end of Penrith’s backline
Yep, Hoppa was a fukin disgrace!

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
I mean I like it if the reality is we end up with Mahoney for 22. As much as I rate cotric and I do. Mahoney is more vital to our ladder position then cotric. The bloke replacing cotric isn’t as bad as jmk replacing Mahoney gap.

That said I also am happy to see us keep cotric. I wish we did.

The only reason it is understandable is Mahoney being so vital and around same $.

Otherwise we are giving the raiders a beast. The eels an addition they need in Simonson badly for their backs and we get weaker? Makes no sense.

Hopefully it’s a gentlemen agreement with raiders and eels they release simonson now. They get cotric and we get Mahoney and they release Hodgson to eels.

Eels essentially get as good as cover as they can get for Mahoney (especially before 23 as he’s to old for 23,24) and a winger they need badly.

Cotric gets to help the raiders improve their backline while freeing cap space from Hodgson and no doubt add another minor piece (cotric at 5-6k would leave 200k unless they chipping in) and we get Mahoney in for cotric?

I’d be happy with that. Otherwise fuck off and keep cotric and let eels need a winger badly, get Hodgson at 34 and we keep our own!

Steve Bos

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I can’t see this merry-go round including Hodgson (and therefore Mahoney) movements in 2022.

This is because there is no way Parra would have the space to pay Hodgson in 2022 (Mahoney’s salary alone won’t be enough space). Remember, the Tigers weren’t willing to chip in much for Hodgson’s 2022 salary at all. So Parra would have to shed another player (in addition to Mahoney) to get Hodgson for 2022.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
I can’t see this merry-go round including Hodgson (and therefore Mahoney) movements in 2022.

This is because there is no way Parra would have the space to pay Hodgson in 2022 (Mahoney’s salary alone won’t be enough space). Remember, the Tigers weren’t willing to chip in much for Hodgson’s 2022 salary at all. So Parra would have to shed another player (in addition to Mahoney) to get Hodgson for 2022.
Could be raiders pay more of Hodgson tab, we pay some of cotric, and all of Mahoney with the balance from elliotts wage to make all clubs get what they want a year early.

All I know is if we release our second best from our back 5 (on a reported 600/650k, after sacking elliott in a reported 500k and only get burns) and don’t get Mahoney or kikau early then I’ll be filthy.

Not only do we lose a gun young back. We strengthen two clubs here (raiders get cotric, eels for simonson).

Surely we aren’t that stupid.

I trust Gus I do. Though scars from the last few years lol.

Steve Bos

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Could be raiders pay more of Hodgson tab, we pay some of cotric, and all of Mahoney with the balance from elliotts wage to make all clubs get what they want a year early
True. That’s the only way it could work. Dogs would have to pay a lot of Cotric’s contract, and that would make Raiders happy to pay more of Hodgson’s contract. Then maybe Parra can fit Hodgson in by releasing Mahoney.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
True. That’s the only way it could work. Dogs would have to pay a lot of Cotric’s contract, and that would make Raiders happy to pay more of Hodgson’s contract. Then maybe Parra can fit Hodgson in by releasing Mahoney.
Well raiders lost simonson too so they would have some $

Though yes I’d say if it meant we got Mahoney now dogs could use whatever off elliotts cap space to help with cotric pay to make it work for raiders to get Hodgson to eels.

I just can’t imagine Gus being foolish enough ti let a quality (even if on 100/150k overs) in cotric to improve two direct threats to the 8 for no gain?

No world are we stronger without cotric in wing over anyone else bar Jac in our squad.

Okon, Allen maybe naden if he was on wing can all do a job. With Mahoney it’s a huge win for us.

Who knows but as I said I trust in Gus he has delivered massive results for our turn around already. Though this would be a bad move for 22 if we lose cotric and help eels and raiders while gain just cap some $ when cotric would be in demand 23 and we still have fucking elliotts cap no doubt being used to upgrade slots for the future. 22 isn’t dead and after the spoon we need something

Dingobat

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I don’t think the dogs would be paying too much seeing as how more than one team is interested in Cotric

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You’d have to think there’s something going on behind the scenes. It’s been reported we’re under cap pressure for 2023. Not next season, so why the rush to get Cotric off our books? The only thing has to be Mahoney. There’s no way we release Cotric to weaken us for 2022 just to help cap space for 2023. We’d just keep him for next season. Gus always said we won’t release players unless it’s a good deal for us. Let’s see what transpires. Wouldn’t it be lovely to come back to training in the new year with Mahoney in the squad.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
You’d have to think there’s something going on behind the scenes. It’s been reported we’re under cap pressure for 2023. Not next season, so why the rush to get Cotric off our books? The only thing has to be Mahoney. There’s no way we release Cotric to weaken us for 2022 just to help cap space for 2023. We’d just keep him for next season. Gus always said we won’t release players unless it’s a good deal for us. Let’s see what transpires. Wouldn’t it be lovely to come back to training in the new year with Mahoney in the squad.
As soon as Mahoney and Kikau weren't announced officially something was going on behind the scenes. Even with the member update the other day, still no official signing on the socials (even tho it's official). What are they waiting for ?

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd like to keep Cotric too but looks like he's gone so the perfect scenario for me now is we get Mahoney for 2022 then Kikau and Paulo for 2023 (shed Thompson for 2023 and let his judiciary record be someone else's concern). Also shed RFM, Stimson and maybe others for 2023 (Allan, Flanagan, Hetherington). Re-sign Vaughan and Dufty. Pack for 2023 ends up as below.

No pack could contain this pack and we'd have a huge advantage over other top 4 teams. Mahoney, Burton and Dufty would have a ball whenever close to the line with these huge forwards running lines and even drawing heaps of defenders as decoys. Mahoney, Burton, Dufty and BBO will all be genuine threats to the line themselves also

8 Junior Paulo
9 Reed Mahoney
10 Paul Vaughan
11 TPJ
12 Viliame Kikau
13 Josh Jackson

Doggiezbrah

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'd like to keep Cotric too but looks like he's gone so the perfect scenario for me now is we get Mahoney for 2022 then Kikau and Paulo for 2023 (shed Thompson for 2023 and let his judiciary record be someone else's concern). Also shed RFM, Stimson and maybe others for 2023 (Allan, Flanagan, Hetherington). Re-sign Vaughan and Dufty. Pack for 2023 ends up as below.

No pack could contain this pack and we'd have a huge advantage over other top 4 teams. Mahoney, Burton and Dufty would have a ball whenever close to the line with these huge forwards running lines and even drawing heaps of defenders as decoys. Mahoney, Burton, Dufty and BBO will all be genuine threats to the line themselves also

8 Junior Paulo
9 Reed Mahoney
10 Paul Vaughan
11 TPJ
12 Viliame Kikau
13 Josh Jackson
That is a crazy pack! If this were to happen, you can see why letting go Thompson for Paulo makes sense. I think Vaughan might turn out to be a cult hero for us.