Official Dogs sign Reed Mahoney (4 year deal)

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
He would have also given away the most 7 tackle sets with his bombs constantly missing the mark.

Hopefully he can work on that in the off season
Jake had 71 attacking kicks, 4 kicked dead and 11 kick errors. Reynolds in comparison had 83 attacking kicks, 8 kicked dead and 14 kick errors.

I'm not saying he's better than Reynolds but I think Jake's mistakes were highlighted because of how limited our opportunities were. One mistake meant we probably weren't getting in an attacking position any time soon while other side's would be right back in the red zone a set later.

He clearly has ability and is probably doing a lot of good stuff at training, issue is putting it all together in a game a manging the workload.

kmr07

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m hearing we’ve missed out on Mahoney, niukore leaving freed up a little bit of cash and parra got their offer over the line. Parra will still not be able to keep all off contract players, plenty of cap used up on RCG and Mahoney. Watch this space
Niukore was on $200k or something like that, so not sure how him leaving frees up too much cash, especially when you consider that they must replace him with another squad player on minimum wage at least

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
He would have also given away the most 7 tackle sets with his bombs constantly missing the mark.

Hopefully he can work on that in the off season
I can't wait to see Jake in a much improved team next year. Him, Cotric and Schoupp (Cotric out for a fair bit of the season and Schoupp came in late) are the only 3 players from this years backs that are going to be in the team next year (a massive upgrade, and this year we were one of the worst teams ever in the NRL) and it's very similar with the forwards. I'm not sure if he's our long term 7 but I know from this year he's our best option at 7 and there aren't too many quality halves in the NRL anyways (especially gettable ones, Jakes also 21 so on potential I'd take him over a lot of halves in the NRL, e.g. Brooks). Also good to know Barrett thinks the same with giving him the coaches award. Even if he wasn't in the halves I've seen multiple times that good things happen around him and he has to be in the 17.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Niukore was on $200k or something like that, so not sure how him leaving frees up too much cash, especially when you consider that they must replace him with another squad player on minimum wage at least
The Eels were never keeping Niukore. Their Mahoney offer would of had that in mind already. Their cap is tight as.

surfdog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agree, sounds more like they were just low balling him

Magilla

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Who is a better 7 than him that is currently on our roster for 2022 ?

Flanno - please
Wakeham - had enough chances
BBO - forced 2 drop outs and has a shimmy but looked no better than Avo

Of course he is not a gun 7 but it’s not exactly an Olympic final field he is up against to start in Rd 1
1st - BBO
2nd - Wakeham/Avo
Last - Flanno

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Atm you are right though I was referring to the future maybe 2 or more years down the track when BBO and Avo are older and more complete NRL standard footballers.
Yeah cool, let's hope these blokes find something moving forward. Last hald decade has been crap for all concerned....except Des, he got a payout of course.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I’m hearing we’ve missed out on Mahoney, niukore leaving freed up a little bit of cash and parra got their offer over the line. Parra will still not be able to keep all off contract players, plenty of cap used up on RCG and Mahoney. Watch this space
Niukore would have been on sweet fuck all surely and they still have to fill the roster spot with minimum wager. Be interested to see who they lose as a result

Jai81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Id rather him over the cheese!
The only thing the cheese has is a strong running game

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Jake had 71 attacking kicks, 4 kicked dead and 11 kick errors. Reynolds in comparison had 83 attacking kicks, 8 kicked dead and 14 kick errors.

I'm not saying he's better than Reynolds but I think Jake's mistakes were highlighted because of how limited our opportunities were. One mistake meant we probably weren't getting in an attacking position any time soon while other side's would be right back in the red zone a set later.

He clearly has ability and is probably doing a lot of good stuff at training, issue is putting it all together in a game a manging the workload.
What do they classify as an "attacking kick"? I'm guessing maybe any kick in the oppositions 50m? I'm hoping Jake comes good, I hope all our kids do. That said, Jake's kicks were all pretty much mid field bombs straight to the FB so safe as houses with regards to kicked dead etc. Reynolds kicks (and I know we aren't saying Avo is better) are all attacking or strategic and not just bombed with hope.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Id rather him over the cheese!
The only thing the cheese has is a strong running game
"All" Smith has is the best running game from hooker.

No point mentioning he's the best defensive hooker and there's no one that plays with more heart than him on the pitch. Smith is a level above Mahoney but would obviously take Mahoney too because he's the next best available.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
What do they classify as an "attacking kick"? I'm guessing maybe any kick in the oppositions 50m? I'm hoping Jake comes good, I hope all our kids do. That said, Jake's kicks were all pretty much mid field bombs straight to the FB so safe as houses with regards to kicked dead etc. Reynolds kicks (and I know we aren't saying Avo is better) are all attacking or strategic and not just bombed with hope.
Reynolds also kicked off the front foot, kicked with an actual kick chase, had other kicking options, better kick prep, etc. Jake obviously has to improve but there's plenty of areas as a team we need to improve that would also make his job a little bit easier.

Like I already said he obviously has quality and he has put in some good kicks at times but he isn't and hasn't ever been a primary kicker. Throw in the fact he he's playing a role he hasn't really played before and is learning it on the run in what is the arguably the worst NRL team ever and he's just overwhelmed with the workload and responsibility.

He has had a taste of what he needs to do and hopefully he turns it up a few gears next season with the his better understanding and the extra strike and support around him in the team. Burton should be the primary kicker, Dufty (still don't rate him) should offer more as a ball running or ball playing option, more dominant middles, a little.more structured in comparison to last season, better bench, etc. Baz also has to make a few tweaks and move away from the Panthers cookie cutter approach for the time being...fucked if we're playing Burton like Luai when we could almost play him in a Tommy Turbo role.

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Reynolds also kicked off the front foot, kicked with an actual kick chase, had other kicking options, better kick prep, etc. Jake obviously has to improve but there's plenty of areas as a team we need to improve that would also make his job a little bit easier.

Like I already said he obviously has quality and he has put in some good kicks at times but he isn't and hasn't ever been a primary kicker. Throw in the fact he he's playing a role he hasn't really played before and is learning it on the run in what is the arguably the worst NRL team ever and he's just overwhelmed with the workload and responsibility.

He has had a taste of what he needs to do and hopefully he turns it up a few gears next season with the his better understanding and the extra strike and support around him in the team. Burton should be the primary kicker, Dufty (still don't rate him) should offer more as a ball running or ball playing option, more dominant middles, a little.more structured in comparison to last season, better bench, etc. Baz also has to make a few tweaks and move away from the Panthers cookie cutter approach for the time being...fucked if we're playing Burton like Luai when we could almost play him in a Tommy Turbo role.
The encouraging thing imo was that Jake would roll the dice on tough kicks: crossfield chips, 40/20 attempts etc. Sometimes they didn't come off but he never went into his shell.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
The encouraging thing imo was that Jake would roll the dice on tough kicks: crossfield chips, 40/20 attempts etc. Sometimes they didn't come off but he never went into his shell.
Nek minnit Flanagan 7