UNO

Waterboy
Reaction score
for a guy who knows how to talk, sounded a little arrogant to be honest

Scorpio

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Lewis' defence in the trial games was ordinary.. he better step it up again this year...

matauce

Baller
Reaction score
yes i have found a partner to DCE in my fantasy team. good times. good luck brandon!

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I get what you are saying btrainben, but I think he is damned no matter what he says. I played plenty of sport and there is always someone with a big gob that also has foot in mouth disease. I dont think he was challenging or 2nd guessing anyone and he would have got a flogging on here if he had said it was the correct choice to leave Cogger out. I think Spoonman84 comment of "The problem is with the comments Lewis used he’s left so much room for interpretation. The “let’s see if Dean is right on Thursday” line can be taken plenty of different ways and it’s a stupid thing to say.", was 100% right it was a stupid thing to say.

But LMAO.. he is a footy player not a rocket scientist which fortunately for the Kennel we have plenty of...Let him talk all he likes, if he doesn't back it up on the field he will end up at another club or park footy. Kudos to his confidence, I like people who burn the bridges leaving no retreat. BUT, for his and the teams sake he better deliver :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:
I agree.. I think what riles people up about Lewis is that he talks as if he's a leader and a club stalwart who has this huge standing in the game. It's the same reason people hated when Mbye talked the talk so often but never backed it up.

Comments where you're implying that you're questioning the selection by the coach, highlighting Wakeham's weaknesses and not talking up the positives of his game only takes the gloss off a proud moment in Wakeham's career and a feelgood story for the club. Those aren't the actions of a leader..

And I go back to the sense of entitlement from Lewis... All offseason he's talked as if he was coaching the team and he's the first player selected. A little bit more humility and less cockiness would go a long way, especially from a player who's position in the team is tenuous at best.

We all hate when sportsmen only talk in cliches. Even if Lewis was just being honest and didn't say anything too horrible, it's the sentiment, context and source that piss people off. For certain players who haven't proven anything in their careers, you have to earn the right to talk a certain way and Lewis certainly hasn't done that yet.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Anyone that supports Lewis' comments clearly doesn't understand the dynamic of team sports and the locker room environment. There are certain things you do and don't say..

Lewis essentially questioned his coach publicly for making the decision. He questioned whether Wakeham was ready for FG instead of what he should have said and what every other pro athlete says in that situation which should have been:

"I'm happy for Wakeham. He's worked hard for this opportunity and he's a great young player with a bright future so we're all happy for him"..

If he wanted to support Cogger, he could have added:

"At the same time, you feel for Jack losing his spot but I know he'll use this as motivation and work hard to try and get back in the team"..

Instead of pointing out Wakeham's weaknesses, why couldn't Lewis have talked up his strengths like any other player would in that situation, like DWZ and others did recently when asked about Wakeham?

This isn't the first time Lewis has talked with such arrogance and entitlement and it won't be the last. Lewis better start the season off in sparkling form because the way he talks, you'd think he was a ten year Origin player, not a player fighting for a FG spot himself.
Completely agree mate. Absolutely baffling that he spoke in such a way. Makes absolutely no sense, but being a young lad the club should've been preparing him a little better perhaps?

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I get what you are saying btrainben, but I think he is damned no matter what he says. I played plenty of sport and there is always someone with a big gob that also has foot in mouth disease. I dont think he was challenging or 2nd guessing anyone and he would have got a flogging on here if he had said it was the correct choice to leave Cogger out. I think Spoonman84 comment of "The problem is with the comments Lewis used he’s left so much room for interpretation. The “let’s see if Dean is right on Thursday” line can be taken plenty of different ways and it’s a stupid thing to say.", was 100% right it was a stupid thing to say.

But LMAO.. he is a footy player not a rocket scientist which fortunately for the Kennel we have plenty of...Let him talk all he likes, if he doesn't back it up on the field he will end up at another club or park footy. Kudos to his confidence, I like people who burn the bridges leaving no retreat. BUT, for his and the teams sake he better deliver :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:
Don't think he's damned at all no matter what he says. He needs to put out the team line. You back whoever's in the team, and even though he probably didn't mean it, he didn't back Wakeham. I don't get how people are trying to say it's no big deal, to me it is. Very naive interview

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
For the next round of Kennel carnage?
I reckon there might be at least one more instance before then :-).
I’m just worried they’ll run out of tissues like toilet paper haha

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I was re reading Lewis comments to see if they could be taken out of context but it’s pretty hard not to take them at the quote/unquote

The only way Lewis can shut people up now is to perform

Ideally with the ball in hand

He said it himself that the result lives and dies by the chief playmaker and he is ‘ready for this challenge’

Back it up now champ

Round one
Clean slate

Opportunity to start the year off with a bang

It’s lots different than no pressure back end of season where we were playing for pride

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Completely agree mate. Absolutely baffling that he spoke in such a way. Makes absolutely no sense, but being a young lad the club should've been preparing him a little better perhaps?
I think it makes sense in that he had a close relationship with Cogger and in Lewis' eyes, they've formed a combination so he was surprised Pay changed his mind last minute and picked Wakeham. But you just can't question your coaches selections or tactics publicly.

I also think Lewis realises Wakeham is his greatest threat to being the dominant playmaker of the team and is feeling a little insecure about his own place in the team..

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I’m just worried they’ll run out of tissues like toilet paper haha
Thankfully we can all use the newspaper articles involving Lewis and Elliott as toilet paper and tissues. They've been in the media so often that we'll never run out. ;)

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Thankfully we can all use the newspaper articles involving Lewis and Elliott as toilet paper and tissues. They've been in the media so often that we'll never run out. ;)
You’ll have to take that up with the club at the members forum mate because it’s their decision

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
You’ll have to take that up with the club at the members forum mate because it’s their decision
Them fronting the media or the toilet paper crisis? Haha.

I get what you're saying as to why Elliott and Lewis are quoted so often. They're both articulate, well spoken and affable young men who are cleanskins off the field, aside from Elliott's Mad Monday crap that was blown out of proportion...

But Lewis also needs to learn when to be honest and upfront when being quoted and when to keep his opinions to himself as well as the consequences your comments can have and how they can be interpreted by his teammates, coach and the fans..

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Them fronting the media or the toilet paper crisis? Haha.

I get what you're saying as to why Elliott and Lewis are quoted so often. They're both articulate, well spoken and affable young men who are cleanskins off the field, aside from Elliott's Mad Monday crap that was blown out of proportion...

But Lewis also needs to learn when to be honest and upfront when being quoted and when to keep his opinions to himself as well as the consequences your comments can have and how they can be interpreted by his teammates, coach and the fans..
I agree with that to a point but just remember he’s a young footy player, not a CEO or high court justice so I wouldn’t place expectations too high. I doubt Wakeham even battered an eyelid to be honest but being offended on someone else’s behalf is all the rage these days

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We might all be overreacting or misinterpreting Lewis's comments, but he is a serial offender !
Is it possible it's his way of boosting his own confidence ?
It is good to be reasonably arrogant...But some fundamentals never change. First You walk the walk, then You talk the talk !
I know our greatest coach ever Warren Ryan always reminded his team to give nothing more than necessary to the media and NOTHING AT ALL TO THE OPPOSITION !!!
All smart coaches do...

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I agree with that to a point but just remember he’s a young footy player, not a CEO or high court justice so I wouldn’t place expectations too high. I doubt Wakeham even battered an eyelid to be honest but being offended on someone else’s behalf is all the rage these days
I agree that I don't think it affected Wakeham at all. I think this comes down to Lewis' cockiness and entitlement and whether he can back that up. He's a marginalised player as it is and he's making it harder for himself.

I certainly won't be death riding Lewis and hope he does well. But if he still shows very little in attack and doesn't improve, then people will likely be harsher on him than they would have been if he was more humble.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
I hope he has a great game. With Cogger breathing down his neck, it would be good to see young Wakeham play himself into the team.
All of them have qualities and have done some great things. The TK seems to choose what they remember, for example "Lewis has no short kicking game", well in the highlights package how good was that short kick for Foran to score pretty much under the sticks. The young halves are just going to have to step up and take a spot, otherwise the club goes shopping. That simple.

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Very happy for Wakeham, not happy Lewis ruined the moment

Doomsdaydog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Tell you what. Lewis' comments are pretty gash. Really doesn't support Wakeham much at all
He doesn't support him, because he knows Wakeham is a better player than him, and a threat to his jersey down the track.

Gotta feel for Cogger as he hasn't done much wrong at all.

If you read into this article, and if there is any truth to it, you can see that Lewis will eventually be dropped to cup later in the year, as we know he hasnt got the skills and knowledge of a halve to back up his beak