Opinion Dogs recruiting technique?

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
So the Hynes signing by Cronulla has me wondering.

How is it that every other club seems to sign a player with little fan fare, speedy and as soon as it's done it's announced. There's talk for a couple of days about it and the RL world moves on. Hynes for example, who would want to go to the sharks but they snapped him up real quick. What a great player now gone off the market.

Us, we seem to get linked to every player, time drags out, complications arise, things fall through, we miss the player and then sometimes find out we were never in the hunt. What is our recruiting technique at Canterbury?

Every man and his dog knows we will need up to 15 players next year and one would think with that sort turnover that signing news would be fairly constant in 2021 for us. What are we doing? Stockpiling signed contracts and announcing 5 player signings at once over several weeks? When was our last signing? Naden I guess and before that Allen?? Don't get me wrong, Naden was/is a player on the outer for drug use and has been relegated that far down that he's probably fuking Alice.

I don't understand the torment that the Cheese seems to be enjoying about talking shite about his destination, the bloke is starting to rub me the wrong way. I mean if Storm want a player from us, we ask who, they tell us a list of potential players, we tell them who we agree with, approach said players and get it done. It shouldn't take this long, it's a fukin circus! And not our first circus either!!!

We (the club) come out and say we have players calling us to sign on for next year, well who are they and are they too crap to sign or mention or are you just making that up to keep the hounds from the door?

They can't say, "we are still deciding who to keep from this team for next year", because the whole pool has been pissed in and none are worth keeping.

Patience seems to be the new word at our club now that the excuses time frame is running/run out!

"We won't pay overs and we're in no rush as we want the right players". Well guys we need 15 players for next year, those players want to read about other players who have signed for us. We need to build recruitment momentum and make these players feel like something is building at our club and give them a reason to want to join us. Half the season is gone and we've done nothing in the market other than let tehe cheese take us for a tour of the fukin cheese factory.

Could it be the old problem still hasn't gone? The one where players don't really want to come to us, never did but we have an admin spinning lies and we're still in deep shite for 2022? Will we hear soon that 2023 is our target to be on the rise again, competitive, be Patient, we are on the up?

Anyone else concerned? The silence is deafening for 2022 so far.....

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
We won't sign anywhere near 15 players after re-signings and promoting. If we want more big signings (we do) a lot of the 15 players (re-signed, promoted) will be on close to minimum wage.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
We need to think seriously about 1, 9, 10 and a bench utility for next year. Burton isn't going to save us on his own. Unless a club is looking to release a player early there doesn't seem to be many good options around remembering that anyone off contract for next year could have been signed from November 2020 and it hasn't happened yet. I'd hate to think next year will be a repeat of the rubbish we're serving up this year.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
At this stage I think our 22 backline is about as strong as it's been since before Hasler arrived. Matt Burton is likely going to be the best half we've had since Sherwin was with us and in top form. So a hooker is the big puzzle piece we're missing. Not many good ones available at any time. Can't get impatient with us supposedly chasing a contracted one. He might want to join but Melbourne mightn't be ready to release him.

After that we still need a few quality forwards. They're relatively easy to get.

I'm not singing praise about where we're at with the line up for next year. We've actually done well with our backline upgrades. Still have a few positions to fill out for the top 17. But we might be planning to fill our depth with juniors and rookies from other clubs. Just have to be a bit patient as there's nothing else to do.

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
exactly for starters we are saying 15 players need to be replaced, well you can already remove 3 Burton, JAC & Naden so that leaves 12. Also we are likely to promote a few players lets say 3 Schoupp, Topine and 1 other. So that leaves us 9. A few people have spoken about holding onto Atoni and OK so if we do that leaves 7.

The club do not make it known who they are after, it comes out as rumours, many of these rumours were not even considered by the recruitment team, the rumour was started by a player agent to increase existing offers from other teams. The dogs have no reason to debunk the rumours either, especially if that means other clubs pay more for players the dogs are not even interested in.

Also for the OP the trying to compare the off contract Nicho Hynes signing on a ridiculous amount of money with a contracted Brandon Smith negotiation is a little silly. If we ask Melbourne who they want they will say Thompson. so we need to give them a list of players we are comfortable releasing. If none of them satisfy Melbourne we end up in the current circus we are in now. As far as Melbourne releasing him, he is in integral part of the Storm team this year, we need to make it worth it to them they will not do us favours.

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Was Nicho mentioned as a possible recruit by the club itself?
Sometimes club forums and media can make a nothing into a something more palatable. I can only say that of the realistic targets that where confirmed by the club, Rudolph was one that we missed and I'm glad we did, and the other is B.Smith which still might have some traction to become a reality.

Blueandwhiteblood1968

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

How is it that every other club seems to sign a player with little fan fare, speedy and as soon as it's done it's announced. There's talk for a couple of days about it and the RL world moves on. Hynes for example, who would want to go to the sharks but they snapped him up real quick. What a great player now gone off the market.

Us, we seem to get linked to every player, time drags out, complications arise, things fall through, we miss the player and then sometimes find out we were never in the hunt. What is our recruiting technique at Canterbury?

Every man and his dog knows we will need up to 15 players next year and one would think with that sort turnover that signing news would be fairly constant in 2021 for us. What are we doing? Stockpiling signed contracts and announcing 5 player signings at once over several weeks? When was our last signing? Naden I guess and before that Allen?? Don't get me wrong, Naden was/is a player on the outer for drug use and has been relegated that far down that he's probably fuking Alice.

I don't understand the torment that the Cheese seems to be enjoying about talking shite about his destination, the bloke is starting to rub me the wrong way. I mean if Storm want a player from us, we ask who, they tell us a list of potential players, we tell them who we agree with, approach said players and get it done. It shouldn't take this long, it's a fukin circus! And not our first circus either!!!

We (the club) come out and say we have players calling us to sign on for next year, well who are they and are they too crap to sign or mention or are you just making that up to keep the hounds from the door?

They can't say, "we are still deciding who to keep from this team for next year", because the whole pool has been pissed in and none are worth keeping.

Patience seems to be the new word at our club now that the excuses time frame is running/run out!

"We won't pay overs and we're in no rush as we want the right players". Well guys we need 15 players for next year, those players want to read about other players who have signed for us. We need to build recruitment momentum and make these players feel like something is building at our club and give them a reason to want to join us. Half the season is gone and we've done nothing in the market other than let tehe cheese take us for a tour of the fukin cheese factory.

Could it be the old problem still hasn't gone? The one where players don't really want to come to us, never did but we have an admin spinning lies and we're still in deep shite for 2022? Will we hear soon that 2023 is our target to be on the rise again, competitive, be Patient, we are on the up?

We need a classy hooker, maybe go after Mitch Kenny, anyone know when his contract with the Panthers runs out.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

I totally agree, we as a club need a confirmation on Smith's decision, if yay that's great if nay we must move on.
We also need 2 exceptional forwards but currently there are none off contract, I would rather wait and sign quality for 2023 but it must happen in November this year.
I warn the current management like I did the previous one...The wrong action or lack of action could cost them their jobs.
I hope it doesn't get to that !!!

steveng

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I don't think we will make a lot more signings unless we offload players like DWZ who are contracted on big money, I just get the feeling we still have issues with the cap.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Based on that Phil Gould article perhaps it seems I was a little right and the Dogs need to inject someone else into the equation?

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Coming last and a 1-11 record isn't helping matters. But I agree with your sentiment.. Thankfully we signed Burton and Fox otherwise we'd be completely fucked.

Hopefully some signings are coming soon otherwise I'm worried there might be some panic buying to make up 95% of the cap.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

I completely share your frustration. Each and every day I check the media and The Kennel hoping for new signings and it's been VERY disappointing. I can see us re-signing most of the 15 deadwood off contract players because the pool of talent for 2022 has already just about dried up.

With the Hynes signing though if reports are true the Sharks signed him for 600K a season for 3 years then no wonder he went there and so quickly. Personally I don't think he's (proven) worth that much YET anyway and I wouldn't have liked to see us spend that much on him.

I think the Cheese is just taking us for a ride. He'll be getting less for 2022 but when the new Brisbane team comes in he'll be getting an offer around the 1M mark potentially. We should bite the bullet and try Daryl Clark but age is probably against him in Barrett's mind. I still have a sneaky suspicion that Barrett might be after Koroisau but would there be any chance of the Panthers letting him go early before the end of 2022 - I seriously doubt it plus he'll be 29 for next season also. If we end up re-signing JMK or Katoa for next year we're f..ked frankly.

Burton, JAC and Naden aren't going to be enough to turn us into a top 8 side next year in my opinion. I think our recruitment team have done an average job. Maybe their hands were tied somewhat by paying big money to average players like Elliott, Jackson, Hopa, DWZ, and Napa. We need to move on DWZ and Elliott ASAP even if we have to pay some freight

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I completely share your frustration. Each and every day I check the media and The Kennel hoping for new signings and it's been VERY disappointing. I can see us re-signing most of the 15 deadwood off contract players because the pool of talent for 2022 has already just about dried up.

With the Hynes signing though if reports are true the Sharks signed him for 600K a season for 3 years then no wonder he went there and so quickly. Personally I don't think he's (proven) worth that much YET anyway and I wouldn't have liked to see us spend that much on him.

I think the Cheese is just taking us for a ride. He'll be getting less for 2022 but when the new Brisbane team comes in he'll be getting an offer around the 1M mark potentially. We should bite the bullet and try Daryl Clark but age is probably against him in Barrett's mind. I still have a sneaky suspicion that Barrett might be after Koroisau but would there be any chance of the Panthers letting him go early before the end of 2022 - I seriously doubt it plus he'll be 29 for next season also. If we end up re-signing JMK or Katoa for next year we're f..ked frankly.

Burton, JAC and Naden aren't going to be enough to turn us into a top 8 side next year in my opinion. I think our recruitment team have done an average job. Maybe their hands were tied somewhat by paying big money to average players like Elliott, Jackson, Hopa, DWZ, and Napa. We need to move on DWZ and Elliott ASAP even if we have to pay some freight
The reality is the best off contract players we can sign for what we need are Kenny, Finucane and Capewell (imo, the point still stands if others have different options) and them 3 aren't good enough to take us into the 8 next year. We can't wait too much longer, but we also can't rely on contracted options otherwise we'll end up with nothing/panic buys. I still believe most of a clubs roster management/business should be in November (last November for this e.g.) as that's when most players are "available" (this is when we signed JAC and Burton).

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Mate u have to understand the media,associates us with every player of contract,especially news Ltd,secondly nicho Hynes,has been playing behind a dominant storm pack,how is he going to go at Cronulla,and for me they paid this guy over$600k a year,way too much,for someone in his first full year of first grade.