Dogs predicted R1 lineup

Blue&whiteAxe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I watched the dragons v Newcastle trial to see how Klem would go...played like he didn’t want to be there. Ineffective, not many post contact metres and did little defence.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
That's exactly how I see the team lining up.

Lichaa was shithouse today in the trial. We only started to roll on when he left the field.

Montoya was very good today at centre.

That's completely the opposite to what I saw... Lichaa was excellent. He was constantly picking the right pass and his scoot was on point. Defence was shady for his standards. Foran brings the best out of him, constantly in his ear.

JMK was solid, strong defensively and passing was fine BUT fcuk we missed creativity and any attacking threat out of dummy half.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I watched the dragons v Newcastle trial to see how Klem would go...played like he didn’t want to be there. Ineffective, not many post contact metres and did little defence.
He just looked weird in their jersey

EB18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Going off the trail and pre season interviews etc. Im pretty sure this will be the team rd1.

1. Hoppa
2. Smith
3. Montoya
4. Holland (gk)
5. Crihton
6. Foran
7. Lewis
8. Tolman
9. Lichaa
10. Napa
11. Jackson (c)
12. RFM
13. Elliott

14. JMK
15. Sue
16. Faulolo
17. CHN

David holland

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Why are people so eager to rush Will Hopoate to the retirement bin? He's easily our best fullback right now and is only 26. He should be fullback. Personally I would pick this team:

01. Will Hopoate
02. Reimis Smith
03. Kerrod Holland
04. Corey Harawira-Naera
05. Christian Crichton
06. Keiran Foran
07. Lachlan Lewis
08. Aiden Tolman
09. Michael Lichaa
10. Dylan Napa
11. Rhyse Martin (k)
12. Raymond Faitala-Mariner
13. Josh Jackson (c)

14. Nick Meaney
15. Adam Elliott
16. Danny Fualalo
17. Ofahiki Ogden
Mate are you serious

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
After a full pre season training, an opposed session and a trial game there's a few obvious selections and a few no so much;

1. Hopoate - is there really any doubt now.

Right side, the power running side, play flat and hit hard with short kicks behind the line, there's plenty of points on this side of the field.
2. Smith - never really a question.
3. Montoya - I thought he was effective and with Smith could make a dangerous combination of height and speed.
12. RFM - earned his spot.
6. Foran - in his make or break season, uninjured he's a no brainer.

Left side, the unpredictable side, they run lines, can play outside or cut back inside, kick long or short, hard for a defence to mark up against. Add Hopoate chiming in and it's a potent offence.
7. Lewis - again a no brainer.
11. Jackson - another no brainer.
4. Holland - also never really a question.
5. Crighton - signed for this spot and showed why.

The engine room,
8. Toleman - was never a doubt for me.
9. Lichaa or JMK - it's a toss up for me, neither has demanded that they be picked ........ so far.
10. Napa - signed for this spot and showed why.
13. Elliot - was never a doubt for me.

14. Sue - played hard, looked effective.
15. CHN - benefit of the doubt, hasn't impressed me so far, but has time.
16. Ogden - also a work in progress.
17. Fualalo or Tualau - we need a big guy off the bench.

Outsiders, if any one of the above blinks they will be in like Flynn.
Martin - if Holland's goal kicking slips or one of the other 2nd rowers doesn't kick on.
Toomaga - has potential.
Smith - the most likely to step up.
Cogger - I hope we don't need him because it means that one of the 2 has been injured.

When's the first game, can't wait.

Go Dogs
Agreed. I reckon Lichaa will get the nod through seniority.

Hoppa will likely start as FB, instead of breaking through the line and running the field (which he can’t do) he’ll just have to pass it to RSmith after he breaks through

haytchcbb

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Chris Smith has to be on the bench - he’s a enforcer type of player and knows how to bend the line

S.Sue is a strong hard runner, can break the line if there is a hole as he packs some speed as we seen in yesterday’s trial

JMK has quick service from DH but lacks creativity, albeit he has potential and as hard as it is to say I would have Lichaa starting 9 for the first few games and make a early switch if he’s shit house

I like the idea of a Meaney- Hoppa switch on field, it’ll build Meaney some confidence at FB and just imagine a Hoppa-Smith W/C combination I believe that’ll be deadly.

Halves for me are Lewis/Foran and if Foran stays injury free he can orchestrate this team as he likes and Lewis can be dynamic and has plenty of potential to be a start half.

11,12,13 - Jackson,RFM,Elliot no question there.

All and all if this team clicks we can go along way this year. Yeah we might not be the prettiest and high profile name club but what we have is pride and hunger.

Blue&whiteAxe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chris Smith has to be on the bench - he’s a enforcer type of player and knows how to bend the line

S.Sue is a strong hard runner, can break the line if there is a hole as he packs some speed as we seen in yesterday’s trial

JMK has quick service from DH but lacks creativity, albeit he has potential and as hard as it is to say I would have Lichaa starting 9 for the first few games and make a early switch if he’s shit house

I like the idea of a Meaney- Hoppa switch on field, it’ll build Meaney some confidence at FB and just imagine a Hoppa-Smith W/C combination I believe that’ll be deadly.

Halves for me are Lewis/Foran and if Foran stays injury free he can orchestrate this team as he likes and Lewis can be dynamic and has plenty of potential to be a start half.

11,12,13 - Jackson,RFM,Elliot no question there.

All and all if this team clicks we can go along way this year. Yeah we might not be the prettiest and high profile name club but what we have is pride and hunger.
Agree except for the Hopa at centre bit. It’s imperative for the teams attacking wellbeing that he plays at fB.

Would also love to see Chris Smith get the nod for a bench spot. I rate the bloke, he works so hard. But I’m saying that who misses out?

Ironic thing is that Chris Smith shits all over Mitchell Barnett and he gets a walk up start at the Knights. Wont be long until Smith gets poached.

Last edited:

Blue&whiteAxe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Elaborate on your comment so I can respond back to you properly.
I’m not having a dig at you, I’m just curious to your view on the below

Why wouldn’t Sue be on the bench?

Why would Meaney get a beach spot as a utility when he’s not one?

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
it really feels like JMK is the odd guy out... the new Mbye almost... doesn't really have a position and he's just being tested in various positions in the hope that something clicks... I think he's gotta be moved on

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Napa better be playing from round one. I'm expecting/hoping we can win our first three games. Can't remember us having an easier start to the draw in years. Greenturd better not come for us.

Blue&whiteAxe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Napa better be playing from round one. I'm expecting/hoping we can win our first three games. Can't remember us having an easier start to the draw in years. Greenturd better not come for us.
he was impressive yesterday. Constantly taking hit ups and good in D.

MasterP

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
01. Nick Meaney
02. Reimis Smith
03. Will Hopaote
04. Kerrod Holland
05. Christian Crichton
06. Keiran Foran
07. Lachlan Lewis
08. Aiden Tolman
09. Michael Lichaa
10. Dylan Napa
11. Raymond Faitala-Mariner
12. Josh Jackson
13. Adam Elliott

14. Jeremy Marshall-king
15. Jesse Sue
16. Danny Fualalo
17. Chris Smith

Last edited:

Blue&whiteAxe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
01. Will Hopoate
02. Nick Meaney
03. Reimis Smith
04. Kerrod Holland
05. Christian Crichton
06. Keiran Foran
07. Jack Cogger
08. Aiden Tolman
09. Michael Lichaa
10. Dylan Napa
11. Rhyse Martin
12. Josh Jackson
13. Adam Elliott

14. Lachlan Lewis
15. Jesse Sue
16. Danny Fualalo
17. Raymond Faitala-Mariner
let yourself off this forum quietly.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
01. Will Hopoate
02. Nick Meaney
03. Reimis Smith
04. Kerrod Holland
05. Christian Crichton
06. Keiran Foran
07. Jack Cogger
08. Aiden Tolman
09. Michael Lichaa
10. Dylan Napa
11. Rhyse Martin
12. Josh Jackson
13. Adam Elliott

14. Lachlan Lewis
15. Jesse Sue
16. Danny Fualalo
17. Raymond Faitala-Mariner

Lewis at 14? what the

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
it really feels like JMK is the odd guy out... the new Mbye almost... doesn't really have a position and he's just being tested in various positions in the hope that something clicks... I think he's gotta be moved on
Last yr he was a pretty decent utility... This yr we have plenty of forwards that can play in the backline so now his a ISP back up at best.

Blue&whiteAxe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last yr he was a pretty decent utility... This yr we have plenty of forwards that can play in the backline so now his a ISP back up at best.
I think Pay has got it right training him at Hooker and Montoya at centre.

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm still struggling to understand why Cogger started with Foz in the halves instead of Lewis. Pay better not be getting any funny ideas.

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'm still struggling to understand why Cogger started with Foz in the halves instead of Lewis. Pay better not be getting any funny ideas.
I’d say so he had one of his starting half’s on when the other is off