News Dogs of War: The lessons Willie Mason, Andrew Ryan and Bulldogs old guard are passing on.

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Couldn't see this one posted if it is don't djdeep me

The Code.

The famed ‘Dogs of War’ side was fearless and intimidating. Many of them are now back at Belmore and schooling the NRL club’s next generation of forwards on what is required, writes LACHLAN McKIRDY.

It was on a cold winter’s night in 2006 that a formidable rugby league legacy was confirmed.
The Bulldogs were taking on St George Illawarra at Kogarah on a Friday evening. Neither team took a backward step.

The Dogs’ forward pack was the definition of formidable: Mark O’Meley, Roy Asotasi, Willie Mason, Andrew Ryan and Reni Maitua. Add Sonny Bill Williams and Nate Myles on the bench for good measure.

Highlights from the match have hundreds of thousands of views across social media, with comments full of fans’ admiration for ‘The Dogs of War’.

The same clips are inspiring a new generation of forwards at Belmore.

“The boys were flying out of the line, one after the other,” recalls Bulldogs prop Max King.

“That inspires me. Especially as a front rower, you’re the guy that has the opportunity to drive that.

“I want to be able to do that and be able to inspire my teammates because it’s about leading on the field.”

It’s part of the drive to recapture the glory days at Belmore. Mason and Ryan have become part of the Dogs’ coaching roster, O’Meley has been around their development system and even SBW has been welcomed back to the club he controversially left.

The message they’ve been passing on is to not be afraid to be the enforcer, particularly at training.

“It’s been so good for them to come on board and help lift intensity, help inspire,” King says.

“They played us the Dragons v Bulldogs game. To have them around and see old footage of Mase back in the day, and Ogre (O’Meley), Roy and all these blokes coming out of the line making plays and big hits, it’s mad.

“Mase is the intensity guy. He’ll tell you stories about, ‘Back in my day with Ogre and Sonny Bill … we used to knock each other’s heads off at training’.

“It’s driven that intensity of training. I think that’s something that as a team, but me personally, I can improve on.

“I didn’t really know what the Dogs of War were last year. You want to learn about it but it’s hard because no one had been there besides Jacko (Josh Jackson).

“So it’s been so cool to have that on board, that ruthless, resilient side.”

Mason in particular has had a big impact on King, working with the young forward to ensure he sets standards at training.

After just one year at Belmore, King’s influence at the club has already been recognised with inclusion in their extended 2023 leadership group.

When he first arrived at the Bulldogs from the Storm, King was just hoping for a chance to play regular first grade. Now, he has a chance to live up to his potential.

“All I wanted was an opportunity,” King says. “One of the best moments of my career was round one against the Cowboys in Townsville. We won, but [it was great] to play NRL again and for this club.

“We voted for who we think should be in the leadership group. And for me to receive high votes is hard for me to comprehend, because I don’t see myself as that guy. It’s a real honour.

“It’s not something that I get this title and I want to be acting like a different dude. I want to be the best leader I can be – that means being able to have hard discussions but also throwing an arm around people.

“The things I’ve seen at Melbourne, [I want to] be able to incorporate that in the team. Being there with Cameron Smith, he would get up and speak so much … it was like having another coach on the field.

“It’s about me being able to lead by my actions … you can’t be demanding things from players and not providing them yourself.”

King wants to improve on 2022, when he averaged 91 run metres and 28.9 tackles while playing every game for the Bulldogs.

And with Tevita Pangai Junior and Luke Thompson set to miss at least the opening month of the season, even more pressure will fall at King’s feet.

It’s a challenge the 25-year-old will relish as he picks up even more of the dirty work as the Bulldogs look for a return to finals. It’s the least he can do as he seeks to continue repaying the faith to the club that took a chance on him.

“I felt like it was this rebirthing of my career last year after the injuries,” King says.

“When I came into the NRL, I struggled with confidence. I struggled with a lot of things.

“I had 50 games to my name in a couple of years. I felt so proud of the fact I had played NRL, but I just felt like I had underachieved. I wasn’t really proud of my career.

“I just want things that I can look back on and be proud of.

“Last year was a step in that direction. I’d want more success obviously, but to be able to go out there and feel like it’s me out on the field rather than this limited, caged guy.”

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Isn't that rodzilla's video

Snake

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We don’t have the cattle or mongrel to replicate those glory days. The one guy that had a little bit of mongrel was let go to the Titans while we kept smashed avo. hard hitter like Tarim Sims haven’t been recruited. It’s all about recruitment and retention and we can’t seem to get that right

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Sick of hearing about this tbh.

We keep clinging onto the past as we currently play like a bunch of pussies. It's kinda embarrassing really.
Gus is a dinosaur, going to keep hearing more of it.

shannon2009

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Every rebuild Wayne Bennett has seen over has started with a hard edged forward pack. The bromwich bros plus kaufusi, the dragons he brought weyman, Jeremy smith, Neville costigan.
These are the types we should have started with instead of luxury 20 minute players like tpj

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Every rebuild Wayne Bennett has seen over has started with a hard edged forward pack. The bromwich bros plus kaufusi, the dragons he brought weyman, Jeremy smith, Neville costigan.
These are the types we should have started with instead of luxury 20 minute players like tpj
Yeah perfect model to start a new team. Experience and quality in the forward pack. It’s so valuable.

A forward pack with TPJ, Haas, Carrigan and D Fifita collected a spoon.

judyisapunk

Kennel Established
Reaction score
we really should have made a play for Bromwich or even Nichols.. it's all well and good to say "it's gonna take time" but with our small pack we're gonna keep getting dominated and that's only going to destroy the confidence of our players.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Passed on? Well it doesn’t seem to be working, sick of all the talk. Never ends.

T-Rocket

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I understand they have to do media but enough talk. It’s time to perform on the field. I’m not expecting the world yet but there needs to be massive improvement on what we saw on the weekend. I’m sick of settling for mediocre performances.

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stop talking, start doing.

I don't remember Ogre ever talking about himself so much like our team does. He just smashed people.

But in 2006, we were stronger and fitter than everyone else, and believe it too. Chalk and cheese to todays team.

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Over it all to be honest... just talk talk talk and more freaking talk...

Just go out there and mirror Mahoney... if they played at 50% of Mahoneys level then we will be ok.

Ps Mahoney would have suited the dogs of war era to a tee...

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Stop talking, start doing.

I don't remember Ogre ever talking about himself so much like our team does. He just smashed people.

But in 2006, we were stronger and fitter than everyone else, and believe it too. Chalk and cheese to todays team.
There are column inches for journalist to fill, there are minutes on the TV for presenters to fill, every NRL team is required by their Licence to do their share of media work and every NRL player is required by their contract to do their share of media work. There is no chance of zero media, there are 2 options, it's either pumping us up or puling us down, there is no "shut up and let actions do the talking".

Would you farkers rather read negative bullshit about us, because that's what they will write, publish and talk about if we don't give them plenty of positives to fullfill their requirements.

Always a Bulldog

silva

Utility
Reaction score
They played nothing like that on Saturday..more like a bunch of pussies

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
Writing a fluff piece after a heavy loss is not cool.

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are column inches for journalist to fill, there are minutes on the TV for presenters to fill, every NRL team is required by their Licence to do their share of media work and every NRL player is required by their contract to do their share of media work. There is no chance of zero media, there are 2 options, it's either pumping us up or puling us down, there is no "shut up and let actions do the talking".

Would you farkers rather read negative bullshit about us, because that's what they will write, publish and talk about if we don't give them plenty of positives to fullfill their requirements.

Always a Bulldog
I'd rather the standard lines of trying to adher to the processes put in place by the coaching staff etc. If it bores the journos, who gives a shit. Enough with the statements of emulating the dogs of 15 or so years ago, trying to emaulate past players, talking about how we are going to beat certain players, etc, all the crap that is great if you can back it up, but is beyond embarrassing when players simply don't have the ability to do it.

It might be a case of the selectivity of one's personal social media threads but the dogs players seem to talk about themselves far more than other sides. Which is embarrassing when we are still an also ran.

craigo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They will never be like the 2004 pack. No matter how hard they try or buy. Max king is awesome and Mahoney is great but the rest of the pack are flakes who don’t put their bodies on the line!

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I'd rather the standard lines of trying to adher to the processes put in place by the coaching staff etc. If it bores the journos, who gives a shit. Enough with the statements of emulating the dogs of 15 or so years ago, trying to emaulate past players, talking about how we are going to beat certain players, etc, all the crap that is great if you can back it up, but is beyond embarrassing when players simply don't have the ability to do it.

It might be a case of the selectivity of one's personal social media threads but the dogs players seem to talk about themselves far more than other sides. Which is embarrassing when we are still an also ran.
You should try reading some of the Donkey's and the Dolphin's media in the Courier Mail it's nauseating.

Headlines like
‘My ride or die’: Haas seals winning weekend with romantic beach proposal
Brisbane Broncos star Payne Haas capped off a stellar weekend with a romantic proposal on a Queensland beach to his girlfriend Leilani Mohenoa.

From playing to coaching, Kevin Walters has became Mr Brisbane Broncos.

Wayne Bennett has spoken out about the growing feud between the Dolphins and the Broncos, and believes it could become the NRL’s new greatest rivalry.

Dolphins rock Broncos’ foundations with historic win
Mark it down as the sporting earthquake that not only shook up the NRL but rocked the foundations of cross-town rival the Broncos,

the impish brilliance of new five-eighth Isaiya Katoa, the crafty running of hooker Jeremy Marshall-King, the steady guiding hand ........

That's just in 2 days, it's endless and relentless.

Always a Bulldog

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 88

Total Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
I reckon instead of bringing back the greats of 2004 to help Instill some sort of winning culture amongst this group, maybe we should bring back the flops we’ve signed in the past and parade them to this current lot?

Maybe that would kick them into gear??