Dogs may shelve O'Meley deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

pittbull

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
April 10, 2007 12:00

BULLDOGS officials will this week demand to know exactly how much Sydney Roosters are paying Mark O'Meley in return for saving him the anguish of waiting nine weeks for his contract at Bondi Junction to be registered.

Agent Wayne Beavis has admitted he will approach the Dogs and request they waive their right to a final offer for the Australian Test prop, as provided under new player-market rules.

"Mark has been a great clubman and we will consider any request," said Bulldogs chief executive Malcolm Noad.

"Whether we grant the request will depend on whether we are in the ballpark."

Noad said the Bulldogs could only find that out by asking how much O'Meley was being offered elsewhere.

"We'll certainly be asking Wayne the question," he said.

"I think that is only fair. We need to know how close we are before making a decision."

If Beavis refuses to say what O'Meley is getting at the Tricolours, his contract will sit in a drawer at NRL headquarters until June.

While the Bulldogs have previously suggested suspect offers from rival clubs to their players would be reported to salary cap commissioner Ian Schubert, Noad said any action regarding O'Meley would be "up to Ian".

Their offer to O'Meley has been valued at $330,000, while Sydney Roosters are said to have offered him around $400,000 per season.

Beavis insists O'Meley has not yet agreed to terms with the Roosters but says it would be pointless for the Dogs to stick to the letter of the law and make him wait until after round 13 before his contract with a rival club is registered.

NRL chief executive David Gallop confirmed the league would not register a contract between O'Meley and another club until June 12 without written permission from the Bulldogs.

"The Bulldogs have been in a position to make a final offer since December," said Beavis.

"What we would do when the time is right is we would go back to the incumbent club and say 'the player has made it clear he's not staying, you've made it clear you can't afford to keep him".

"Why wait until round 13? You'd think they would be happy to have some finality rather than have this play itself out in the media.

"We'll do that in about a week.

"When a club makes it clear they can't afford to increase or extend an offer, the player is hardly going to go back there and stay for less, is he?"

But Gallop indicated the Belmore club's administration would be well within its rights to say "no", leaving O'Meley in contractual limbo at the mercy of angry fans for nine weeks.

"A player and a club can reach agreement and lodge a contract with the NRL but that contract will not be registered until the end of round 13, giving the existing club an opportunity to re-sign him," said Gallop.

Information required ... the Bulldogs want to know details of the offer made by the Roosters for powerhouse prop Mark O'Meley. / Manly: Put my name in Origin mix

D

DJ ALMO

Well O'meley is good as gone,

though i do think theres a tiny chance he'll sign or agree to terms..

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
"A player and a club can reach agreement and lodge a contract with the NRL but that contract will not be registered until the end of round 13, giving the existing club an opportunity to re-sign him," said Gallop.

Lets hope they can untangle this and keep the big fella in a blue and white jersey where he has said he would rather be.

BILLYA-BULLDOG

DOGS 4 LIFE
Reaction score
sounds like hes gone but the dogs are trying to come close so why not give them the chance?

Keefy

The Family Club
Reaction score
We went fine without him on friday night, If we wants to follow his wallet instead of his heart then let the fool leave!!!

Doggee71

Waterboy
Reaction score
As I have said before...i cant ignore my heart...

....if he stays he will have my undying bulldog support...
....but if he goes..(especially to the @#$%&@)...i am wiping my hands..
..no autographs.. no pics...if he signs somewhere else..he is no longer a dog in my eyes...even though if will be in our colours...
he is a bulldog in nature and in colour...nothing else will suit him..
he joins another club..and he will turn into a liability..
..he is up there in my fav player list....but now..interimly..

harsh i know...but cant help my gut..

W

Willie Talol'd

We went fine without him on friday night, If we wants to follow his wallet instead of his heart then let the fool leave!!!
amen to thatt....we have been able to play awesum without omeley....as sum1 sed we do have armit n cleal but wat about the big fellla hickey...if omeley leaves i think its time to give one of our young guns a chance to up their name....

BulldogStar

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
i agree. we really didnt need him on friday night at all! the guy sitting behind my mum said he thought we did so good because we didnt have his silly handling errors.
i hope he stays though.. because i hate seeing anyone in the blue and white leave!

Wolfpac

4 Life
Reaction score
oh well... let him go so he can join the GREAT Anasta and Myles

surely he has some common sence... he goes to rooters there goes his australian and state of origin career with it!!!

bye bye shrek!!!

Drummer_boy05

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Imagine seeing Omeley taking up a barnstorming run with non other than the Rorters! :(
Hes a Bulldog to the death ffs!

Good on Mgmt, either tell us the details or hang like a prick for 9weeks!

BootS

Danned
Reaction score
O'Meley is stupid to go to the Rorters!! They are pure sh!t on the footy field!! Pathetic... If he finally signs (which he will) he can go and get ****ed in my book!!

iWahash

Hannant
Reaction score
Haha Management is funny. We can **** you around too if you want to **** us around..

Not a good sign, but meh. He has won a premiership with the Bulldogs. I guess he wants to win a wooden spoon. Well then the Roosters await.

NOTE TO O'MELEY: YOUR CAREER WILL GO NOWHERE BUT DOWN IF YOU GO TO THE ROOSTERS. WING WAS ONE OF THE BEST UTILITIES. NOW HE IS ****. ANASTA IS ****. MYLES IS ****. C. TONGA IS ****. GOOD LUCK!!

H

Haztrick

Hopefully this can all get sorted soon.. If we can keep him, which I hope we can, it will be great. If not, then it leaves us with some cash to chase others.

Hodgo007

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm over this saga. He is as good as gone in my book and I can't blame him. He has taken paycuts over his last couple of contracts to remain at the club and now wants to look after himself. Would the fans be less disappointed if he went to a club that wasn't the Chooks ? As a Dogs fan I'd rather see him go to a club that is at the bottom of the pile than one near the top which would/could strengthen them considerably. Imagine him at the Sea-Eagles ? At the Cowboys ? Better the Chooks than some of those clubs.

While I'm going to be sorry to see him leave I have no doubt that the Management and Administration at the club will do their best in either bringing up some young guys (which we have done in the past) or buy a young guy with potential from another club (which again we have done) and turn them into Representative quality.

This is what makes our great club stand out from the rest. You only have to look back over the years at guys like Ryan, Tonga and O'Meley. Whilst Patten isn't in the rep scene (well as high as he deserves) he has been one of the most consistent #1s in the game for the last few years and one of our best for the last few which is a big wrap considering some of the names in our forward pack.

Lets not dwell too much on Shrek and look to the future and in particular the Sea-Eagles.

H

Haztrick

^ Word.

We should look at buying Danny Wicks, Brett White and Paul Aiton or Travis Burns.

Hodgo007

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks AAD.

Anyone of those younger guys (Aiton looks good doesn't he ?) would do well at our club.

Anyone have any more info on Aiton in regards to contract etc ?

Status
Not open for further replies.