News 'Dogs gave me a purpose': Xerri grateful for second chance

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Brad Walter NRL Senior Reporter

Bronson Xerri only needs to look at new Bulldogs team-mate Stephen Crichton to be reminded of how much he has missed out on while serving a four-year ASADA ban.

The pair were rivals at junior representative level and destined for stardom but while Xerri was sidelined Crichton played in four grand finals, won three premierships, made six Origin appearances and spearheaded Samoa to a World Cup final.

“It's funny because me and Critter had a battle in the younger grades, and we've always had that competition, so to see the successful career that he has had while I’ve been out is motivating for me, in a way,” Xerri said.

Bronson Xerri is  grateful to be back in training with his new Bulldogs team-mates

Yet for much of that time, Xerri wasn’t even sure if he wanted to play again as he struggled to cope with the enormity of what he had done after testing positive for performance enhancing drugs while recovering from shoulder surgery.

However, as the now 23-year-old prepares for his comeback there’s no self-pity or bitterness – just a gratitude that Canterbury GM of football Phil Gould offered him a second chance and a determination to fulfil the potential that had him earmarked as a future Origin star in his teens.

“You know that saying about how you don't know what you have until it's gone? Well, it’s so true,” Xerri told NRL.com.

Bronson Xerri is excited to be playing alongside Stephen Crichton

“Footy was taken away from me for four years and just sitting out and watching my future kind of go to waste was one of the hardest things ever.

“Four years is a long time, and it took a massive toll on me. Sometimes I had thoughts of not even coming back but I am so grateful that I’m here now and every day I think how blessed I am that this club has given me a second opportunity.

“It was a massive life lesson for me and it's something I'm going to have to deal with and live with.”

In the five weeks since he began training as part of a team for the first time since the 2020 pre-season with Cronulla, Xerri has impressed his new team-mates both on and off the field.

“He’s got speed, he’s got size and he’s got strength but the quality that stands out for me the most is that he is accountable for what happened,” said Kurt Mann, who is the most experienced player in the Bulldogs squad.

“He spoke to the playing group and said he accepted responsibility for his actions and was so grateful to be given another chance.”

Xerri said he would be willing to educate other players about the consequences of taking performance enhancing drugs.

“I think everyone should just think before they do things and be educated on what you can and can't do,” he said.

“I was in a very vulnerable state, but that is no excuse on my behalf. I made a mistake and I will be forever accountable for that.

“But if I just took that split second, just to think, before I made that mistake we wouldn't be here today talking about it.

“I just had a lot going on behind the scenes that no-one really knows about but, like I said, that is not an excuse. I messed up and I paid the penalty.

“I’m blessed that I’m still only 23 so I had age on my side but I lost four years of my career that I can never get back.”

While suspended, Xerri had a stint working for a builder, but he struggled without the sport that was all he had known since a young age.

“When you go from playing professional football at the age of 18, straight from school, to working on a building site, you really think about yourself and your career and your future,” he said.

“I didn't have any drive, and no motivation. I just wasn't in a good mental state, that's for sure.

“But once Gus reached out to me and once I met with him, I think that was all I needed to get my shit together, and to just put my head down and train, and that's exactly what I did.

“I just needed a purpose in life and Gus gave me that purpose and so did the club, and I’ll be forever grateful to them.”

Sauce

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
NRL.com is of course motivated to publish good stories about the game. But I always find it interesting when they publish such obvious ones, like this one about Xerri, and as far as I am aware none of the 100s of media (old or new) affiliated journalists have even considered doing a story on Xerri's return from the drug ban, his attitude about it, and why he is at the Dogs. The level of muck-raking is absurd, you have to wonder if ANY of the media journalists out there actually like the game, given it falls to NRL.com again and again to pick up genuinely good worthwhile stories like this.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Good on him. He seems to have taken full responsibility for his actions and is ready to make up for lost time. He deserves a second chance after such a long suspension. Hopefully he can get his career back on track eventually as he was a serious talent before his suspension.

JOHNY BULLDOG

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I like this guy,I reckon he’s going to be massive for us this year…. We all make mistakes but putting ur hand up and taking accountability and learning from them is what matters…. He’s in blue and white now so I’m backing him [emoji106]

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
How good is it that he's inspired by Crichton's feats in the game and the challenges they had against each other in the juniors.
Good thing is their next chapter in their competitiveness is together in the bulldogs team. I think this will flow through the squad in a massive way.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
NRL.com is of course motivated to publish good stories about the game. But I always find it interesting when they publish such obvious ones, like this one about Xerri, and as far as I am aware none of the 100s of media (old or new) affiliated journalists have even considered doing a story on Xerri's return from the drug ban, his attitude about it, and why he is at the Dogs. The level of muck-raking is absurd, you have to wonder if ANY of the media journalists out there actually like the game, given it falls to NRL.com again and again to pick up genuinely good worthwhile stories like this.
Generally any thing else but NRL.com are basically Woman’s Weekly equivalent.

Headline, drama chasers or.. makers.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
How good is it that he's inspired by Crichton's feats in the game and the challenges they had against each other in the juniors.
Good thing is their next chapter in their competitiveness is together in the bulldogs team. I think this will flow through the squad in a massive way.
Hopefully. If there is going to be a change on last year it is going to be majorly driven by the new players coming in. The team's confidence started sliding from about round 5, and fell off a cliff mid season. Can't have that happen again.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I really hope this bloke can get close to potential he showed before his ban and he repays the faith that Gus and the club has shown him, it will be a win for him and the club. It’s pretty obvious that the arrogance of youth has been tempered, hopefully he’s a better man and footballer for the experience.

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
could be a combo of things ie silly / holiday season but it’s probably mostly journos being attracted to headlines that sell.

The pace of the news cycle these days will mean most probably won’t even remember xerri, and you put on top of that it’s a story about the dogs which tbh, is not the most well liked of clubs despite its sizeable supporter base.

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hopefully. If there is going to be a change on last year it is going to be majorly driven by the new players coming in. The team's confidence started sliding from about round 5, and fell off a cliff mid season. Can't have that happen again.
Don’t mean to spam but I think it’ll be interesting to see how resilient critta is. He hasn’t been on a losing side for a long time, and it’ll really test whether he can hold belief in his own abilities. Imagine being a marquee signing, having success all through your career then coming here, AND have to face a slide in form like you mentioned above.

will self doubt creep in? I want him to be that guy, but I’ve seen what I thought were all time greats in other sports crumble under that pressure

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don’t mean to spam but I think it’ll be interesting to see how resilient critta is. He hasn’t been on a losing side for a long time, and it’ll really test whether he can hold belief in his own abilities. Imagine being a marquee signing, having success all through your career then coming here, AND have to face a slide in form like you mentioned above.

will self doubt creep in? I want him to be that guy, but I’ve seen what I thought were all time greats in other sports crumble under that pressure
Maybe go have a listen to the recent Go Trot podcast that he’s on ..

He grew up in Mt Druit, he could have easily gone the way so many do re gangs crime etc. … but he wanted to be better than that and inspire others to do the same ..

I think he’ll lead by example & others will rise to his level ..

He’s a pretty switched on kid …

Yougra

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I'm backing Xerri to be in the centres sooner rather than later

Kid was an elite junior and hit the NRL scene at a young age and looked a definite Origin player in the making

Yes 4 years is a long time out, but he is still very young and I think he will hit his stride very quickly.

And when he does we will have one hell of a weapon out wide for us.....very exciting

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm backing Xerri to be in the centres sooner rather than later

Kid was an elite junior and hit the NRL scene at a young age and looked a definite Origin player in the making

Yes 4 years is a long time out, but he is still very young and I think he will hit his stride very quickly.

And when he does we will have one hell of a weapon out wide for us.....very exciting
I agree mate … the discipline effort and desire seems to be there …

The hardest part will be the speed of the game and how he’s able to handle that … it’s gotten so much faster over the years he’s been out ..

But as you say, he’s still only 23 that youth might just be the difference for him ..

I say good luck to him, hope he becomes a superstar of the game & stays loyal to the Dogs for reaching out to him …