Dogs dominate flu-stricken Broncos

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoGs_R_dA_BeSt™

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
BULLDOGS 44 BRONCOS 22

THE Bulldogs ended one of Brisbane's most emotional weeks, winning their NRL blockbuster 44-22 at Suncorp Stadium.

The under-prepared Broncos, whose officials had threatened to forfeit the game on Thursday night until the players intervened, led 18-16 at half time.

However, after being locked up in quarantine until just hours before kick off, they struggled to contain the Bulldogs in the second half.

Kiwi-born five-eighth Ben Roberts did much of the damage, having a big hand in the visitors' first two tries before busting through Darren Lockyer and sidestepping fullback Karmichael Hunt and two other Brisbane defenders to score himself in the 55th minute.

His try, converted by winger Hazem El Masri who landed six from eight, put the Bulldogs ahead 28-22 after Brisbane had levelled at 22-22 with a one-handed try to young winger Jharal Yow Yeh in the 50th minute.

Brisbane took the field wearing black armbands hours after attending the funeral of the club's much-loved recruiting genius Cyril Connell.

Swine flu victim Karmichael Hunt and winger Antonio Winterstein, who had displayed symptoms on the H1N1 virus on Thursday, were cleared to play and prop Joel Clinton - recently hit with a club record $50,000 fine and stood down for two games for breaching club rules - was recalled to the bench.

Bulldogs representative prop Ben Hannant, the first player diagnosed with swine flu, was also cleared to play.

The Bulldogs came to town with four former Broncos in their side adding extra spice to the top-of-the-table clash.

Brisbane, whose only training run was a light session at Red Hill on game morning, found themselves down 10-0 after winger Josh Morris helped himself an early double in the fourth and 15 minutes.

El Masri's first conversion attempt will go down as a mystery to the magical kicker, barely getting the ball airborne.

Things started to look grim for Brisbane with only a small crowd of 26,353 in their corner.

But Yow Yeh finally got them on the scoreboard in the 19th minute when he dived full-stretch to get his fingers on a cross-field grubber kick from Hunt.

Brisbane took the lead 12-10 after 28 minutes after replacement Langi Setu charged onto a pass from Hunt who had wrong-footed the Bulldogs defence with some fancy footwork of his own.

The win, the Bulldogs third in a row over Brisbane at Suncorp Stadium, shot them to the top of the NRL ladder.

Bulldogs hooker Michael Ennis was involved in a late scuffle with his former Brisbane teammate Corey Park late in the second half as players came rushing from all parts of the field.

Brisbane forward Ashton Sims celebrated his first try of the season by kissing his left wrist and raising it skyward.

It turned out Sims had taped his new-born daughter's wrist band to his wrist before the game.

BULLDOGS 44 (H El Masri, 2 B Goodwin 2, J Morris 2, M Hodgson, B Roberts tries, H El Masri 6 goals) bt BRISBANE 22 (J Yow Yeh 2, L Setu, A Sims tries, C Parker 3 goals) at Suncorp Stadium. Referee: Tony Archer, Shayne Hayne. Crowd: 26,353

SOURCE THE DAILY TELEGRAPH

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Excuses, excuses.

We were far better on the day. People weren't using that as an excuse when it was 22 all were they? They looked pretty sharp then.

If anything, with the whole week off they should have had more energy than us in tha last 20 but that is when we blew the game out.

We would have won either way. They were near full strength and I don't want to hear anymore of this swine flu BS.

magdog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Good on the Broncos players for playing the match, when their officials wanted to behave like cowards.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
we would have beat them without the flu

and ben hannant also had swine flu and made 35 tackles and 16 hit ups for 160metres, so htfu

phelps_fan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They can use the flu all they like but the Broncos lost. They were the better side at some stages but we held our ground and won.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Flu stricken my arse, what a bunch of friggin whingers school girls!

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
WOW .. heaps in that article about how well the Dogs played, how awesome their tries were, and how we are top of the comp again.

All I read was.

*whinge*
*excuse*
*moan*
Brisbane scored some tries
*more excuses*
The Bulldogs scored some tries too and won
*more BS about kissing a wristband*

**** the Daily Telegraph and News Limited.. can't they at least acknowledge a decent win to the Dogs?

~stacie

Michael Ennis ♥
Reaction score
oh tear.
get over it brisbane. dogs were betterrrrr :-)

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I love it when the Dogs beat the Broncettes, I have sooooo many Broncette mates that I get to call. So much sh*t I cop for being a Dogs supporter in QLD but it feels so good. Great game!!!!

Chicharito

DOGGIES ARMY!!!
Reaction score
we were better on the night and thats all there is to it...but yeah congrats to the boys...2/2 for the tipping :D

VAI

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
they were all cleared of flu last i heard?

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I word to sum it all up

*OWNED*

The end close thread please

DoGs_R_dA_BeSt™

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jaycar Bulldogs defeat Broncos 44-22
Evan Sieff
Friday, June 12, 2009

The Bulldogs have taken advantage of a tiring Broncos outfit to run away with a 44-22 victory at Suncorp Stadium on Friday.

Scores were locked at 22-all early in the second half but a week without training took its toll on Brisbane as their defence fell apart in the last 20 minutes.

“That’s a massive win. The Broncos never give up and always fight back so the boys worked really hard for that win,” said prop Ben Hannant, who finished with an impressive 16 runs and 35 tackles.

Josh Morris, Bryson Goodwin and Hazem el Masri all grabbed doubles for the blue-and-whites while El Masri finished with a personal haul of 20 points.

Man-of-the-match Ben Roberts put in a commanding performance at five-eighth, playing a role in a number of the Dogs’ tries while pushing off Darren Lockyer to score one himself in the 55th minute.

“Kevvie (coach Kevin Moore) gave us a bit of a kick in the guts at halftime. He told us to get back to basics in the second half and it came good,” Roberts said.

His decisive solo try opened the floodgates as the Bulldogs ran in another three unanswered tries in the final quarter of the game.

Earlier the Bulldogs had skipped away to a 10-0 lead courtesy of an early double to Brett Morris.

However the Broncos hit back – benefiting from the boot and then a one-arm offload of Karmichael Hunt to see Jharal Yow Yeh and Lagi Setu register tries.

The Dogs thought they’d secured the halftime advantage when Hazem el Masri crossed in the 34th minute but got caught on their heels as the hooter sounded.

Broncos replacement Ashton Sims crashed over from close-range and the Dogs found themselves behind 16-18 at the break.

Winger Goodwin scored his tenth try of the season when he latched on to a Roberts grubber three minutes into the second half.

His opposing wing Yow Yeh stretched out for his second six minutes later to draw the Broncos level.

But from there the Bulldogs took charge through tries to Hodgson, Goodwin (his eleventh of the season) and a runaway intercept to El Masri.

While Roberts was a constant threat in attack, David Stagg was yet again immense in defence – racking up 45 tackles to go with his 13 runs.

The Bulldogs now look ahead to a clash with the Panthers at ANZ Stadium on Friday.

-----

Tries: Josh Morris (2), Hazem El Masri (2), Bryson Goodwin (2), Ben Roberts, Michael Hodgson
Goals: Hazem El Masri (6/8)

-Kurry-

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
An awesome result by the dogs. I was lucky (or unlucky?) enough to at least catch the last 15mins, and a child at McDonalds was scared by my joyous vocals.

The team looked fantastic, even in the last few minutes.... is our 2nd half curse finally over?

And I knew if we won, it would be thought to be "because the broncos had a bad 2 weeks with swine flu drama"...but who cares! We smashed them, and got the two points *dances*

Status
Not open for further replies.