Dogs beat Eels but future still bleak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
The article pretty much says what the fans are saying about the Dogs. I question this claim that Rugby League needs the Eels to win- not the first time it's been said. Is it because of the millions being spent on Cumberland Oval?

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
A win's a win. We have our issues, but credit where credit due we defended our hearts out that second half and we out-enthused a very desperate side.

It's the close games you win under all pressure that builds confidence. Confidence is what we've lacked more than anything.

Reactions: DT

DoggiesBoy

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I said this very early in the season, the NRL are venturing into dangerous grounds by hiring a so called 'journalist' to write opinion pieces for the official NRL site. Whoever wrote the now deleted piece should be sacked along with anyone who authorised it. This rubbish should be kept for tabloid agencies masquerading as news agencies (i.e news corp).

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree it’s wrong for a so called journalist to be writing biased story’s... but is it just me or isn’t it what 99% of the kennel talk about. I believe parra could give the comp a shake and something is going down for them to be playing so bad. As for us we do have a better side then what we will have next year so what he said wasn’t totally bs.

BlackDawg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tis good ammunition for us going forward. Everyone thinks we are done so stick it up them. Siege mentality has always been good for us.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Michael ChammasChief Reporter
Timestamp Fri 11 May 2018, 10:13 PM
Share on social media
The loser of Friday night's Canterbury-Parramatta clash was always going to kiss their season goodbye,

The loser of Friday night's Canterbury-Parramatta clash was always going to kiss their season goodbye, and the winner would retain a glimmer of hope.

That's why rugby league needed the Eels to win - for what might be, not what has been.

Because as underwhelming as they have been over the first 10 rounds of the season, one gets the impression there's plenty of improvement left in them.

That they are capable, albeit requiring a huge improvement, of winning at least 10 of their remaining 14 games to finish inside the top eight.

Unfortunately, the same can't be said for the Bulldogs. Unfortunately, regardless of how hard they try, it's hard to see a lot of upside in what Canterbury are producing.

What they have dished out over the first 10 weeks looks like it is good as it will get.

And if you're listening to the rumblings out of the club, it's probably as good as it can get for the next 18 months given the limitations surrounding the club's salary cap.

It's safe to assume the Morris twins won't be at the club beyond the end of this year. Same for Greg Eastwood

But apart from those three players, you'd be hardpressed finding an off-contract player on much more than the minimum wage.

Kieran Foran is on superstar money. Four years of superstar money to be exact. However, the harsh reality for Canterbury to come to terms with is perhaps his superstar days are behind him.

Not bad, but not great either. And Canterbury needs great. That's what they paid for.

They need a Shaun Johnson. They need a Nathan Cleary. They need a James Maloney. They need a Ben Hunt.

Yet, they are getting Jack Cogger.

Granted, he's a talented kid with a bright future, but he has one hell of an assignment ahead of him trying to change the fortunes of a once proud club struggling for answers.

And it's not like they are down on troops. Only Aiden Tolman is in the club's casualty ward, a player they are currently shopping around despite being contracted until the end of 2020.

Rookie coach Dean Pay finds himself in an unenviable position. He has inherited a roster that he can only tinker with when it has become clear it needs to be overhauled.

You can't accuse the Bulldogs of lacking desire or commitment. They are trying hard. But what they would give to have the strike power their opposition possessed on Friday night.

Clint Gutherson, Bevan French, Corey Norman, Mitchell Moses, Michael Jennings. And the Eels still had Jarryd Hayne, Nathan Brown, Kane Evans, Kaysa Pritchard and Tony Williams sitting on the sideline nursing injuries.

Parramatta should be better than they have been. And again on Friday night, they were nowhere near the team many tipped to challenge for a title in 2019.

But they can be. The same can't be said for the blue and whites.

Tony Williams LOL

DT

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Michael Chammas Chief Reporter NRL.COM Fri 11 May 2018, 10:13 PM
Michael Chammas Centrelink Mon 14 May 2018, 9:05AM
I just contacted him on Twitter to tell him what a few of us thought of his ‘article’ and to remind him that he is being watched closely.
Surely he should be fined for bringing the game into disrepute.
Canterbury should lodge a formal complaint because it is not an independent person, it is a sanctioned NRL writer, Chief Writer supposedly.
He supposedly speaks for the NRL.
Disgustingly biased and needs to be called out for what it is.

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Jack Cogger. Yuck.

Truth hurts.

Anditsgone

Waterboy
Reaction score
I just read the article

Wow, just WOW

Whilst it’s hard to read, and in poor taste, it’s nothing we didn’t all know already,

The only bit I take objection to, is how he referred to being better if parra won and not the dogs,

I think that is disrespectful and I’m bad taste,

Leave that out, and it’s a relevant article.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who gives a fuck what they say really. We beat Parra and we have a lot of improvement in us.

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Everything he wrote in that is 100% correct.....

Watching Eels and Gutherson, Moses, Norman, French, Jennings at their best is so much more fun and entertaining to watch than the crap we dish up week in and out.

Our team was diabolical and we still won because of our defense, fuck knows how we held them out for most of that game

XR6T

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Just shows how shit the Eels are if our diabolical team can beat them.
Chief reporter, what happened to the other 7 games where they got belted?
They should have beaten Manly in game 1 but instead got a 54:0 hiding to nothing!!
Stop blaming other teams for the shit team you support. Raze dazzle teams will lose you more games than win them....it's not touch footy.
Lol, mentions what Eels have on the sidelines....(Hayne), lol...(T-Rex), lol, (Kane Evans), lol.
Fucken shit *****...all 3 of them!!

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Someone close to the club print out the fucking article and send it in.

I want the team to see this. I seriously do.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Everything he wrote in that is 100% correct.....

Watching Eels and Gutherson, Moses, Norman, French, Jennings at their best is so much more fun and entertaining to watch than the crap we dish up week in and out.

Our team was diabolical and we still won because of our defense, fuck knows how we held them out for most of that game
We wore them down with our defence, and finally working out to wrap up the ball in tackles. They became frustrated when they couldn't get through us. It was only their kicking game, lack of dropped ball, and speed out wide that kept them competitive.
Most importantly, the injection of Holland gave us the lift we so often lack in the final minutes of a game. That lift brought the intensity that a tiring Parra couldn't withstand. They had the better of possession in the second half, but the Dogs didn't surrender.

Status
Not open for further replies.