News Dogs’ face $1m problem: Every club’s biggest selection headache

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I was so anti-Flanno but now it's getting to the point where Baz is so clueless that even Flanno is looking the better option. Flanno has form and did wonders at the sharks even if he was partaking in what's been deemed illegal activities LOL.
My old mate @DinkumDog will be stabbing the Bazil voodoo doll like a madman because we were always on the same page with captain peptides.

But like a man coming out of a Ten year stint, I need some relief!!

Please tell me there is another “real” option??

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
i think all we need is a better defensive coach.
after watching the 2 trials im not sure they know what structure they have.
first trial both wingers, casey and Oki came up and in. Casey timed it on Ponga but Oki didnt and looked clueless.
2nd trial, Oki stayed on his man and did sliding defence when the centre got on the outside of Burnes.
I dont think they know wether to jam or slide, which comes back to the defensive structure.
Is Furner our only defensive coach? didn't someone say last season Furner and Baz looked like they were having a falling out?

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Is Furner our only defensive coach? didn't someone say last season Furner and Baz looked like they were having a falling out?
furner was in the box so assuming he has control of the defence

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
My old mate @DinkumDog will be stabbing the Bazil voodoo doll like a madman because we were always on the same page with captain peptides.

But like a man coming out of a Ten year stint, I need some relief!!

Please tell me there is another “real” option??
I always wondered why Michael Hagan didn't return to coaching, He was doing good things at the Knights and during QLD's dominance in origin we all know it wasn't Mal doing the coaching LOL it was all Hagan as some of the players let slip.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
furner was in the box so assuming he has control of the defence
Dean Pay would have made a good defensive coach, I know we treated him like shit and burnt bridges but he was a defensive coach at the Raiders and in that time they seem to be doing good things.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I always wondered why Michael Hagan didn't return to coaching, He was doing good things at the Knights and during QLD's dominance in origin we all know it wasn't Mal doing the coaching LOL it was all Hagan as some of the players let slip.
Mick is a Qld legion, but Big Mal is a God. Sorry bro it’s a bit like the “Masons”, outsiders know there is a secret handshake and stuff but we can’t share with you.

Ask @maroondog72 if we can elaborate.. :tearsofjoy:

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Dean Pay would have made a good defensive coach, I know we treated him like shit and burnt bridges but he was a defensive coach at the Raiders and in that time they seem to be doing good things.
He was also on the Roosters coaching staff when they won the comp in 2002.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
The club could do worse cough cough "Furner" than to extend a hand to Pay as a defensive coordinator.
Steve antonelle was the defensive coach when pay was coaching, steve was totally in charge of that. Steve is a close friend and old team mate, he is now with souths after they all stood down

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Even if one of our halfback options could just be a good distributor it would at least be something, but Baz can't even get that out of them.

I'd go with BBO cause at least he plays with some confidence even if he's green. Wakeham is too lazy, Avo is a deer in the headlights right now and why would we go back to Flanno who was woeful last year?

Reactions: CCC

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Steve antonelle was the defensive coach when pay was coaching, steve was totally in charge of that. Steve is a close friend and old team mate, he is now with souths after they all stood down
Good luck to him, I wish him the best. If Baz and co couldn't see the talent in him then it's our loss. I just hope we can learn from this and start putting the right people around Baz so we can see some success.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I believe Hages was unwell for a period of time.
I think he’s OK now but retired from coaching.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Nah bud, same old Bazildog,

I’m the same desperate supporter sick of being embarrassed. Dinkum, I have racked my brain thinking of alternatives and I can only come up with “potentials” like Ciraldo or possibly someone like Shaun Wane from England, or the likes of Green or Henry…
We have some good recruits, and some good young guys coming thru and a Gus. Barrett was never the answer and the window is small.

I’m happy to go to church and confession as many times as it takes…

Dogzzz of War

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Geez Jake is a protected species. Granted he was thrown into the deep end but we can’t continue using that excuse for the basics he cannot get right. He only has himself to blame when he is making schoolboy errors like not catching the ball off a kick off or arm grabbing in defence
He doesn’t tick many boxes, he’s soft, has no feel for the game, poor kicking game, timid, poor defender …… not first grade standard at half, centre, wing, fullback

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Geez Jake is a protected species. Granted he was thrown into the deep end but we can’t continue using that excuse for the basics he cannot get right. He only has himself to blame when he is making schoolboy errors like not catching the ball off a kick off or arm grabbing in defence
I'm actually going to wait to at least round 10-12 before I make my mind up about Jake. 12 rounds should be enough for Jake to gel with Burton and get his combinations in order.

I've been Jakes biggest critic LOL I'm sure everyone knows that by now but FFS If Baz and Gould are persisting with him then clearly they can see what most fans aren't picking up.

Jake now has a wonderful forward pack to work behind, a class 5/8 in Burton, and a more than impressive backline in JAC, Naden, and Dufty to feed so it's up to him to make the most of this opportunity.

Lets go Jake Averillo!

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I’m happy to go to church and confession as many times as it takes…
Are there enough Sundays in a year for your sins - especially suggesting Flange Snr??

I hear ya Baz. I believed in supporting T-Baz last year as we had a rubbish squad. I want to believe things will be better this year with improved cattle but I’d agree the early signs aren’t great. Green and Henry seem done. Wane unproven in the NRL. Ciraldo seems OK. I agree the cupboard is kinda bare…

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Are there enough Sundays in a year for your sins - especially suggesting Flange Snr??

I hear ya Baz. I believed in supporting T-Baz last year as we had a rubbish squad. I want to believe things will be better this year with improved cattle but I’d agree the early signs aren’t great. Green and Henry seem done. Wane unproven in the NRL. Ciraldo seems OK. I agree the cupboard is kinda bare…
Jeez mate, I am so over the disappointment, and I know you and all our supporters are as well. It’s time the dice rolled our way.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Cameron ciraldo or john morris come save this club.
Morris did a good job at Cronulla under horrible circumstances and with an average roster. He had them playing entertaining yet disciplined footy too. I think he laid the foundation for what Fitzgibbon has taken over and how good they looked against us. He's at Souths as an assistant but I reckon he'll get another head coaching job soon. We could do worse.

Someone like Ciraldo is a gamble. He could be another Baz or he could be successful. Gus rates him highly. But then again he rated Baz highly...