Dog gone? Why Dean Pay has six rounds to save his job

Status
Not open for further replies.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Last year we were competitive in almost every game and there was a lot of promise towards the end of last year, but we've lost even more players since then and the squad overall isn't good enough. Pay's doing everything he can do. No coaches that are available, or even established ones could make this side what the fans want. If Pay can get the squad 13th or higher then that is a win considering what he has to work with. Pay shouldn't be sacked until he can coach a competent squad, which I don't see us having until 2021.
i was supportive of Pay, however some things are in defendable.... like some of the team selections are dreadful and fitness, recruitment etc ..

So if the best team was picked and our fitness was outstanding, I would totally agree with you.. but it just hasn't been ...

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Former Canterbury player Michael Ennis says “the writing is on the wall” for Bulldogs coach Dean Pay as his future in the job comes under intense scrutiny.

The Bulldogs have lost their opening two games of the season badly, conceding 76 points to sit bottom of the NRL ladder.

Much of the criticism has been aimed at the coach, who took the reins last year from Des Hasler but failed to improve the side.

"This has been a proud club, Moses (Mbye) and I were a part of it for a long time and it’s really sad to see where they’re at at the moment, to be honest,” Ennis told Big League Wrap on Monday.

"I know Dean Pay says they’ve got a young side but ... I think the writing is on the wall for Dean Pay.”

Since taking the reins at Belmore, Pay has won eight of 26 games in charge.

"Four of those wins came at the back end of last year. Round 22 they were fighting for the wooden spoon, so essentially there was not a lot to play for, and it’s a lot easier to play when there’s not a lot riding on it, so they won some games a the back end of the year.” Ennis said.

"You want to see improvement. I know Dean Pay has got a young roster there but they haven’t improved under his coaching from what I’ve seen.

“This has been 26 games, he’s lost 18 of those, and it’s going to have to be a vast improvement.

“They’ve got a really tough draw and by Round 6 they are going to need to have won a game or the drums will be beating really loud for Pay.

"I think the writing is on the wall.”

The Bulldogs face the Tigers, Storm, Dragons, and Rabbitohs over the coming four weeks and could be 0-6 after six rounds of the season.

Ennis believes if Pay hasn’t won a game by then, the coach will be out of a job by season’s end.

But Ennis doesn’t think the club will punt Pay mid-season, rather let him see out his contract.

“Chris Anderson and Lyn Anderson are terrific people, and they are loyal people. I find it hard to believe they would terminate his contract early, given he’s part of the fabric there,” he said.

“But I would find it hard to think they would re-sign him unless there’s a drastic change in performance.”

This guy has never said anything positive about dogs.
Ouch...Doesn't the truth hurt ?
It was always going to be a gamble taking on a rookie coach...we should't be surprised !
Has anyone been watching the Tigpies ?
Does that tell us anything ???

pisssst

CEO
Reaction score
Great, hopefully he's equally as harsh on the other 15 clubs if necessary. Somehow I doubt it.
I’m sure he is. I actually don’t think his assessment on us is harsh at all. We are well below a reserve grade side.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I'm not defending Pay but it's very easy to be an armchair critic like Ennis and others in the media.

I look forward to the day Ennis coaches a side so he can see how hard it would be - but it's far easier to just sit back and tell everyone else what they do wrong so I don't think it will happen..
With all due respect Ennis has earned the right to comment given he had a successful first grade career not to mention skipper of our club during happy times so he knows the inner workings better than most

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Next year is board election year? If yes, doubt they let pay stay till end of season if the result is not there

Bluebody

The Strategist
Reaction score
I don't think a lack of patience is the answer when you are trying to develop a team. You have to believe in each player's potential and strike a balance between supporting them and giving them detailed guidance to keep improving and pull the plug if they are not showing signs of adapting fast enough.

It is so premature to be decimating the team right now - dropping a few is good because it creates an accountable culture, but wanting to rip the coach out of the side because he has not proven himself yet - well, what coach was going to turn around this mess with the best players disappearing out of the team every fortnight last year?

Seriously, we need to get a grip on the situation and calm the fuck down. Yes, it's ugly watching our proud Club suffer right now - we all are feeling it. But we are in the development phase, not the hook 'em if they are not winning phase.

We leaked way too many points in 2 games and that tells me the new positions are not communicating or have enough confidence to push up as a unit and commit. This comes with awareness and confidence building, as well as developing the skills, communicating and much more experience.

We will improve and if we do not, then isolating the players that are not performing their role after being given ample opportunities is the next step and bringing the hungry players up into those roles who get a chance to make it their own.

While our salary cap is held by a velcro surf wallet in tatters, we need to focus on building pride and courage in the players not fuck the with the cohesion being created.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Has anyone been watching the Tigpies ?
Does that tell us anything ???
Not about the coach, Farah and Marshall as the real "coaches" there. Plus they have the oldest average age of any team in the NRL.

Go Dogs

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I’m sure he is. I actually don’t think his assessment on us is harsh at all. We are well below a reserve grade side.
In this case what he's saying is black and white, it's nothing we don't know. I guess time will tell when things are good (hopefully one day) whether he has positive things to say.

I think it's hard for him to be impartial. He was moved on by our club, he won a premiership at another club and he is now part of the coaching staff of the raiders.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
I don't think a lack of patience is the answer when you are trying to develop a team. You have to believe in each player's potential and strike a balance between supporting them and giving them detailed guidance to keep improving and pull the plug if they are not showing signs of adapting fast enough.

It is so premature to be decimating the team right now - dropping a few is good because it creates an accountable culture, but wanting to rip the coach out of the side because he has not proven himself yet - well, what coach was going to turn around this mess with the best players disappearing out of the team every fortnight last year?

Seriously, we need to get a grip on the situation and calm the fuck down. Yes, it's ugly watching our proud Club suffer right now - we all are feeling it. But we are in the development phase, not the hook 'em if they are not winning phase.

We leaked way too many points in 2 games and that tells me the new positions are not communicating or have enough confidence to push up as a unit and commit. This comes with awareness and confidence building, as well as developing the skills, communicating and much more experience.

We will improve and if we do not, then isolating the players that are not performing their role after being given ample opportunities is the next step and bringing the hungry players up into those roles who get a chance to make it their own.

While our salary cap is held by a velcro surf wallet in tatters, we need to focus on building pride and courage in the players not fuck the with the cohesion being created.
Yeah I agree. It's weird the defensive turn around from the first half of our trial to now though. Trials are trials but that first half we were impressive and worked together as a unit....don't know what happened?

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
i was supportive of Pay, however some things are in defendable.... like some of the team selections are dreadful and fitness, recruitment etc ..

So if the best team was picked and our fitness was outstanding, I would totally agree with you.. but it just hasn't been ...
Not much Pay could of done team selection wise. Only thing I disagree with in our round 1/2 team is not starting Martin with Faitala-Mariner on the bench over Fualalo. Personally after seeing round 1/2 I don't want to see Crichton or Montoya in the side so bringing in Meaney and Okunbor is a change I'm okay with, but similar to the round 1/2 team I'd have Faitala-Mariner on the bench as well. Besides for Pay to try different players out to show the fans he's trying everything he can I don't think it's going to change anything results wise, possibly even make us worse.

Recruitment I wasn't a fan of any of the signings to be honest. Harawira-Naera is more of a luxury singing for us when we still need a fullback or centre, winger and hooker. Besides Napa, which I'm not a fan of, the rest of our signings were players with "potential" which I don't think are going to work out (didn't make the first squad or already dropped). I don't know if Pay's the only one to blame with player recruitment tho.

Next season if we can't sign a quality fullback or centre and winger and a promising young hooker (obviously want quality, but the cap isn't going to allow it) we're going to be in the same situation and even then we're not a top 8 side.

Last edited:

pisssst

CEO
Reaction score
In this case what he's saying is black and white, it's nothing we don't know. I guess time will tell when things are good (hopefully one day) whether he has positive things to say.

I think it's hard for him to be impartial. He was moved on by our club, he won a premiership at another club and he is now part of the coaching staff of the raiders.
He said it pains him to see a club that he cares for with such a proud history become what it is right now. And him saying things black and white is what he does as a sports media man now. He couldn’t have said it any other way.
How would you sum up the performances?
I personally think they are disgusting and disgraceful, so does all the other nrl fans that are taking the piss out of our team.

Novocastrian

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Id like to see mick ennis coach the dogs. Hes got a smart footy brain and like matty johns knows how to move with the times with coaching. Out of all ex players on foxsports they are both the smartest by far.
Id say he is so critical against the club because well he said it in this article hkw he still cares for it. Sign him up

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Wouldn't be upset if we offered ennis the head coach role if he wanted it tbh... he wouldn't take such a role given his media gig

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
He said it pains him to see a club that he cares for with such a proud history become what it is right now. And him saying things black and white is what he does as a sports media man now. He couldn’t have said it any other way.
How would you sum up the performances?
I personally think they are disgusting and disgraceful, so does all the other nrl fans that are taking the piss out of our team.
I guess we agree to disagree about how much he cares for the club. He played for plenty of clubs before us, another after and had coaching involvement at the Sharks and Raiders. He often referred to the Sharks as "us" when commentating, not something he's done with our club which isn't a problem to me at all. We're just a club in the long list he's been involved in.

How would I sum up the performances, probably something I'd expect from Parra, Tigers or Gold Coast not something I asscoiate with our proud club (which I have followed since the early 80's).

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Not about the coach, Farah and Marshall as the real "coaches" there. Plus they have the oldest average age of any team in the NRL.

Go Dogs
They are pensioners...you are right !!!
And I thought it was a game for the young :cry:

Paulie Gualtieri

Previously Shrimp
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind Jason Ryles as head coach. He has been at the Storm for a while as their defensive coach and more recently their senior assistant coach. I know 2 players down their in forwards and they both have mentioned Ryles is a key guy for the current forwards and the young ones coming through. Welsh, Brandon Smith, Kafuisi all have credited Ryles and look at how good those blokes are. Even the England Rugby Union team used Ryles as a defensive coach for period. Would be a risk but fuck it lol we are already up the creek.

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I really don't get all the hate and bitterness from this fan base towards Ennis.

He's one of the very few in the past decade who had really tried to buy into the 'old school' Bulldogs culture. He never took a backwards step as a player for us and ripped in each and every game like as I mentioned - very few have.

Our administration at the time decided that Lichaa would be a better option moving forward, so off went Ennis to the Sharks and won himself a Premiership. Good for him. He has the right to be a little bit smug.

His job now is to give analysis on the game, positive and negative. Our performances have been rubbish for years, so obviously he's gonna spit more negatives our way. It's his job. I respect him

Last edited:

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
The biggest thing we are suffering from right now is losing mozzes and their experience and defense in the backs imo

George Ibrahim

Waterboy
Reaction score
Wouldn’t mind having Michael Ennis as coach and see how he goes. He has a lot of passion and good thinking brain and reads the game well

I don't think we should avoid rookie coaches at all. Robinson and Seibold were unknowns.. None of the proven coaches inspire confidence or have a good track record..

We just need a young coach who is innovative, flexible with tactics and has an eye for young talent while also being able to get the best out of them.

Get coaches and scouts from Melbourne, Souths and the Roosters, not from Canberra with Pay or the Tigers with McConnell.

The Walkers Brothers or Kevin Walters would be worth a punt.

Pay keeps being mentioned as part of the fabric of the club when people forget he was part of the infamous four that defected. He played more years at Parra than he did with us. So Canterbury don't owe him shit.

Dump him by round 5 if the floggings continue so they can see if whatever interim coach can stake a claim for the job.
ouldnt

Status
Not open for further replies.