• I dont care

Votes: 24 18.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Guardog

You Dirty Dog
Reaction score
We have a couple of good young halfbacks that can be taught by the great Noddy to be very good young halfbacks. In my humble opinion, our future is with youth and a player that can lead the Mighty Bulldogs around the park for a long time. A player that will always wear the blue and white and have that kind of loyalty that Steve Mortimer and the like once had.

Bull4life

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
He made a comment last evening that at this stage of his career he was after the most money he could get, and that was a reference to the wallabies. As some people have mentioned I would prefer Mateo & Mortimer instead.

5/8

Loyal Royal Blue & White
Reaction score
He made a comment last evening that at this stage of his career he was after the most money he could get, and that was a reference to the wallabies. As some people have mentioned I would prefer Mateo & Mortimer instead.
mateo and watmough:grinning:

Shanghai Dog

Campsie/Yangtze
Reaction score
This is a tricky issue.

We had a similar time in the past when a great half back retired and we couldn't replace them - 1989 was an example when Turvey retired, Hagan left and an unknown from outside the club replaced them (Greg Mackey). We had no local product ready to step into the role. Mackey didn't work out. That set us back as a premiership force for a couple of years - even with Terry Lamb in the side - until Polla-Mounter hit the scene.

In 2004 when Thurston left we had Sherwin in career best form so it wasn't the same set of circumstances.

After Noddy retires, we are like 1989 again IMO. Old half retires - no obvious local coming through the ranks fast enough and an unknown in Blake Green joining the club. No offense to Green - he had great pedigree as a junior and could be the solution. Also, we had Lamb in the halves back then - and Roberts is Ok but doesn't give us an alternative organizer.

So I think we are trouble in 2011 in an organizational sense. That was our problem before Noddy and Roberts will NEVER fill that role.

Thurston seems to offer an instant solution to bridge the gap at the right price. On that basis, I think he is the best solution for team performance (I can't comment on all the moral issues being raised).

But TBH I think he is just pumping up his price in the market and we will never chase a salary cap gorilla like SBW again - so we better hope that we get somebody like Mortimer into the club.

L

loui323

Nah his a Grub we dont need that... but his git great talent that we need ?

TheGeneral

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
c i really dont think we will lose 3 players. kimmorley is on 300k so we lose him and ryan who is on the way out, we can fit him in without losing any big name players

Terry Mortimer

Kennel Established
Reaction score
c i really dont think we will lose 3 players. kimmorley is on 300k so we lose him and ryan who is on the way out, we can fit him in without losing any big name players
apparently, we currently have approx 500k-700k under the cap as Ryan and Patten's contracts were front loaded.

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
if he comes to the dogs, it should be done with strict behavior conditions on his contract.
thurston has problems with the grog

Marioo

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I say we leave it to the dogs staff and the professionals ay

they arent going to care what we have to say

If they think Thurston can win us a premiership then im sure theyll be willing to lure him to replace Kimmorley and maybe one or two other cheap players.

If not then they wont bother.

best half in the world but!!

Marioo

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Id honestly love to see him at 6 and kimmorley at 7

that spells

PREMIERSHIP

Chicharito

DOGGIES ARMY!!!
Reaction score
still a bit skeptical whether he will come back tbh

Chicharito

DOGGIES ARMY!!!
Reaction score
we have massive problems then!!!
did you not see him play this year??? the kid has massive potential to take the club forward...and besides kimmorley isnt gonna be there forever and we gotta look to the furute

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think we could kick ass with Thurston and Barba in the halves in years to come, it should be our priority as long as Thurston doesnt get into strife off the field.

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
Thurston will most likely go to the Manly scums if he chose stay in the NRL.

Manly Scums have freed up the Orford cash and may offload a few of their fringe players just to sign Thurston.

Status
Not open for further replies.