Do You Let Your Car Warn Up?

Do you let your car warm up before you drive it?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

the Coyote

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had to let my old hemi six Charger warm up for 10 minutes in winter , otherwise it
would just cough and fart and you wouldn't go anywhere =( ...

Rockford

Kennel Established
Gilded
Reaction score
Nope, just get in, push start, turn on the seat heating, put my belt on, get a piece of chewy from the centre compartment, check 2GB is on the radio so I can be outraged on the way to work, then check the mirrors and drive off.

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Heavy Metal Dog driving a Mazda 3? I assume its just a daily drive.

I would have thought you would be driving a black V8 Holden / Ford.
Haha no. I'm just not into cars. Well actually I just can't justify spending a lot of money on one, as much as I might like too.

I got it because I had an accident in my old car and my room mate at the time was a Mazda dealer and I got a really good deal.

It is black at least and has Bulldogs number plates :grinning:

Scorpio

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I warm up my car before i drive it and then let it cool before I switch it off....

It's a turbo and I was told its best practice.

Scorpio

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I warm up my car before i drive it and then let it cool before I switch it off....

It's a turbo and I was told its best practice.

rexest

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I always warm the rex up before taking it out, Did the same with my previous car, Also afew mins to cool down after driving it hard.

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
in most modern engines car revs up higher for few seconds on cold starts..

hot summer days it usually doesnt happen/ not required.

for older cars it is good for the longevity of the engine to keep the car running for 30 seconds to a minute (dont idle it for too long!) so the engine oil comes up to the operating temperature and its viscosity drops to the level where it can be splashed easily hence lubricate all the higher/ hard to reach areas of the engine.

on the flip side if you drive it straight away when the cold high viscous oil is sitting at the bottom of sump and you start reving/ driving at higher rpm with pistons and other moving parts at the top without adequate lubrication for few minutes of driving will only increase engine wear and shorten the life span.

new engines (2007 and above models) usually are on synthetic oil with high VI and do not require to be warmed up on cold mornings.

BulldogsFAN

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
with this generation of cars, you'll need only to turn it on and tune to your radio or a/c etc and it should be fine.

just dont give it a "hit" or "hard driving" until you've driven it for a while

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
1. Driving Warms the Car Faster than Idling.
2. Ten Seconds Is All You Need.
3. Idling Hurts the Car. over time, it can degrade the engine's performance and reduce mileage
4. Idling Costs Money.
Over a year of five minutes of daily idling (which causes incomplete combustion of fuel), the "Anti-Idling Primer" estimates that the operator of a V-8-engined car will waste 20 gallons of gasoline
5. Idling in the Garage Can Kill You.

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
1. Driving warms the car faster than idling. [yes but damage to the engine is done in first few minutes of cold start when pistons and crank shaft at the top are starving for lubricant, reving / driving before the oil has warmed means premature wear to engine parts at the top]
2. Ten seconds is all you need. [probably but few more seconds for older and worn engines]
3. Idling hurts the car. over time, it can degrade the engine's performance and reduce mileage. [30 second of running the old engine in the morning is more beneficial than harm]
4. Idling costs money. [ yes but premature wear cost more money]
over a year of five minutes of daily idling (which causes incomplete combustion of fuel), the "anti-idling primer" estimates that the operator of a v-8-engined car will waste 20 gallons of gasoline [ where are you getting this from, incomplete combustion of the fuel has got nothing to do with idling]
5. Idling in the garage can kill you. [yes if you idle for more than 10 minutes with doors windows and gate closed]

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I always warm the rex up before taking it out, Did the same with my previous car, Also afew mins to cool down after driving it hard.
Cheap Apexi or Greddy turbo timer will do that trick ;)

You'd get the odd occasional "hey you left your car on"

dullbogs

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Old cars with carbys HAD to be warmed up because they ran like dog shit when cold. Every car now has EFI so there is pretty much no point in warming it up. Letting your car sit at idle for extended periods is actually not that good for it anyway. You wont find a single manufacturer that advises to warm your car up before driving it. It's true that engine oil performs better at temperature but there is also transmission fluid and diff oil that need to warm up and you can only do that by driving the car. So just gentle driving until everything is at temperature is best. If we lived in a sub zero climate then maybe it would be a different story.

Stoofy

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Haha no. I'm just not into cars. Well actually I just can't justify spending a lot of money on one, as much as I might like too.

I got it because I had an accident in my old car and my room mate at the time was a Mazda dealer and I got a really good deal.

It is black at least and has Bulldogs number plates :grinning:
As long as it has Bulldogs plates then its all good!

Mazda's like all Jap cars are reliable.

Status
Not open for further replies.