Do You Let Your Car Warn Up?

Do you let your car warm up before you drive it?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Been discussing this with a guy at work. I laughed at him when he said he waits for his car to warm up in the morning.

He said "Whaaaaaaaat. You don't warm up your car?"

I argued that it's not necessary in this day and age. The car will warm itself up on its own. Any damage you do by driving cold is minimal and not worth sitting idle for a few mins.

He disagreed and said the car is warming itself up for a reason. And you are doing damage by driving it cold!

What are everyone elses thoughts?

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Poll added

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
yeah i do warn my car before i start it

i tell it if it gives me any trouble it will be driven to the junk yard

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Not in my car, never let it warm, actually I lie I generally have a smoke before I drive out side of my car, I don't do that intentional I just do it.

However I use to have to let my bike warm up before riding during winter or else I'd idle to like 3-4rpm I can't remember

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
he drives a beamer, about 8 years old

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
And what do you drive atm?

N

Natboy

I'm always in a rush & haven't even thought about it.
Would love to hear from a good mechanic on this

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score
Yes - Warm up is essential long-term maintenance. I start my car, and don't take off until revs are below 1000rpm. Usually takes 2-3mins in the cold mornings.

I'm no mechanic, but I think the reasoning is that "oil" operates best as lubricant for your engine bits, the higher it is. An un-warmed engine has to work harder to make the oil circulate around your parts.

By warming the engine, you warm the oil at the lowest possible revs/friction levels before taking off and taxing the engine further with fluctuating rev counts and gear changes above 2,000rpm.

You're probably right in saying that engines (and to an extent the technology behind the manufacture of better oils), are better equipped these days, but warming the engine consistently is a good habit to develop. Might mean the difference between parts failing at 70,000km as opposed to 100,000km.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I know i should but i don't do it unless i'm running early when i get into the car.

El_Magic

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't warm mine up at all. It's 2011 Holden Calais V. It definitely drives better after work then it does in the morning though

Stoofy

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yes & No

I always warm up my good car for 2 mins & take it easy on the throttle for 10 mins or so. Then I let it rip.

I dont warm up my every day work hack but I do take it easy for the first 5 mins or so.

Stoofy

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Also if you drive a turbo or rotary powered car then you should warm it up & let it cool down after hard driving.

HITM3N

THE KENNEL
Gilded
Reaction score
2000 Celica.

Reliable as fuck. Never wait for it to warm up!
Toyota Celica, that was my first car. Pretty reliable cars! they go good as well

Dex

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Planes warm up..before take off..so yes you should let your car warm up

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
I have a 2010 Mazda 3 and the dealer specifically told me it is not necessary to wait for the car to warm up. So I don't wait.

Stoofy

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I have a 2010 Mazda 3 and the dealer specifically told me it is not necessary to wait for the car to warm up. So I don't wait.
Heavy Metal Dog driving a Mazda 3? I assume its just a daily drive.

I would have thought you would be driving a black V8 Holden / Ford.

Status
Not open for further replies.