Do we go all in for Munster?

Turvey Chip and Chase

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Medical retirement exists though and would protect the club and Keary to some extent if it unfortunately got to that.
True, however, you buy a key spine player like that and then plan a build with them as instrumental to the future. If they are retired then it’s back to the drawing board. Do we have that luxury of time anymore? I don’t know….

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
While we are fantasising why not get Cleary for 7, Munster at 6, Paps at 1 and put Burton at centre. Yeh baby, what a spine with Mahoney at 9

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Would rather Ben Hunt tbh at half the price to partner Mahoney and Burton and spend 600k on a top shelf forward.

BondiBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Umm what? Signing a two time premiership winning half and Clive Churchill medalist is wrong? LOL OKAY BUDDY
Sure is ‘buddy’
Unwanted and discarded from the Roosters had a shit load of head knocks and they would probably only offload him to accommodate Munster or someone better. A little bit like Cooper Cronk for Mitchell Pearce/Flannigan. Why can’t we be the one’s who get the Cronk’s and Munster’s instead of the players being replaced? Thanks buddy, that’s all buddy.

Philistine

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Why would we be interested in paying top dollar for a marquee player? We have been in salary cap trouble for five years and we are just coming out of it now. The days of buying premierships are over, except possibly for the chooks. We have to target young blokes who are cheap now, but might turn into something with the right development. Other possibilities are players whose advancement is blocked by the players above them (Sean O'Sullivan?), and players who are not performing to their potential but might go better in our system, or might just be a good fit for us.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Why would we be interested in paying top dollar for a marquee player? We have been in salary cap trouble for five years and we are just coming out of it now. The days of buying premierships are over, except possibly for the chooks. We have to target young blokes who are cheap now, but might turn into something with the right development. Other possibilities are players whose advancement is blocked by the players above them (Sean O'Sullivan?), and players who are not performing to their potential but might go better in our system, or might just be a good fit for us.
O'Sullivan is your recommendation instead of going for Munster? O'Sullivan won't make a difference and we're the worst team in the NRL. You recruit talented kids outside the top 30, a few years younger. The Panthers core didn't just join the Panthers and straight into the top 30. Our roster (next year) is good enough with a marque half and fullback to get us being competitive again, ~top 6.

Philistine

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Sean O'Sullivan (@ maybe $250000) won't turn us into a premiership team but neither will Munster @ $1.2M. Three or four Munster-quality players might do it but that's the cap gone for the next five years.

If I were running the show (heaven forbid), I would be trying to sign up Kristian Woolf and see if he can bring his young guns, Jack Welsby and Lewis Dodds, with him. That would take care of our coaching and our spine in one fell swoop.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Sean O'Sullivan (@ maybe $250000) won't turn us into a premiership team but neither will Munster @ $1.2M. Three or four Munster-quality players might do it but that's the cap gone for the next five years.

If I were running the show (heaven forbid), I would be trying to sign up Kristian Woolf and see if he can bring his young guns, Jack Welsby and Lewis Dodds, with him. That would take care of our coaching and our spine in one fell swoop.
We need proven NRL quality, not more gambles. Cowboys and Broncos have shown us the way

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score

Look what Reynolds has done for the Broncos. They were at the bottom with us and now they can beat anyone outside the top 2 (and I wouldn't be surprised if they did beat them too). I would only be spending the salary cap on marque players when looking at what we have already. Munster's the best player in the game atm. Cleary's on a reported 1.1m in the best team, a little extra for Munster (who would have more of an impact than Cleary would in our team) in our position is a no brainer.

Philistine

Kennel Established
Reaction score
We need proven NRL quality, not more gambles. Cowboys and Broncos have shown us the way
We cannot afford proven NRL quality. I agree that most super league players are either has-beens or never-wassers, but when you've got a couple of young kids like Welsby and Dodds setting the super league on fire, you can have a reasonable expectation that they will go to the next level.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
We cannot afford proven NRL quality. I agree that most super league players are either has-beens or never-wassers, but when you've got a couple of young kids like Welsby and Dodds setting the super league on fire, you can have a reasonable expectation that they will go to the next level.
We only have 7 contracted players (8 if we include Burton) for 2024. We can afford anyone we want and probably 3 of them.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
We can afford it, only have a few under contract for 2024. Club needs to nail down some genuine key players and the rest will take care of itself.

NallaC

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I love how everyone wants a half to win the comp. I just want a half that can get us to middle of the comp and off the bottom. Let's be realistic

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Keary is a terrific player but won't be at the Dogs. I wish he would come to the Dogs but no chance
Is this Gus? You are certain that fuckwit Fred is our next coach and now you are certain Keary won’t play for the Dogs.

Can you tell us for certain what Saturdays lottos numbers are?

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We don't have one f..king player in either State of Origin teams (best 34 NRL players). If we can't afford one something's f..king wrong. If we can get one might as well make it the best one

Why should we always look to save money and buy average ?

DaveV

Kennel Established
Reaction score
You just know if Keary some how became available so many of our fans would write him off and claim he's shit because the Roosters didn't want him lol. Some would probably claim he's shit already haha
Keary is only a head knock or two away from retirement. No thanks

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
BURTON IS A 5/8. In fact hes the best statistical 5/8 in the NRL atm.
Hahahahahaha. I don't know what else to say but hahahahahaha. So you blame our inability to create space for our outside backs on...?..our inability to score tries, despite being marvellously set up by the 5/8 wiz is due to......ahhhh the sounds of silence.
We should shop Burton and go after Munster. Burton was a great centre in Penriths system. Last year, despite having a great side even with Origin players out, when Burton stepped into 5/8th what happened? Anyone? Penrith lost that's right, despite having the statistically best 5/8th. Hmmm anomaly.