Do our younger players deserve a crack at firstgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
My answer would be to pick the best 13/17 and if they are good enough, pick them.

But I guess how does one determine whether they are good enough without giving them a go?

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Abbey has to be starting fb next season imo. Montoya and Smith coul# potentially play on the wing. Strickland had massive raps on him but I really haven't seen much of him for us. Woolford looks like a great buy and I would also like to see him I the team next season.

We need to take some risks and blood some young players and let them play. Hopefully Des doesn't fuck there development up by trying to fit them into his ridiculous system like he has done these previous years.

top-dog

bulldog 4 life
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Off course they do without them we have no future just look at Penrith Gould had a 5 year plan now it's paying off the way des is going he needs a 50 year plan to work

WestBeast

Peyow Peyow
Reaction score
Let Abbey develop on wing similar to Tom Trboyevic , wouldn't chuck him straight in at fullback , smith looked the goods v the raiders

MitchNewton

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
abbey is not good enough going off this year.
lets see how the trials go and then pick the best 17. you dont play a player for the sake of it
He improved a lot at the back end of the year. Will only get better.

Qld-Dog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Abbey has to be starting fb next season imo. Montoya and Smith coul# potentially play on the wing. Strickland had massive raps on him but I really haven't seen much of him for us. Woolford looks like a great buy and I would also like to see him I the team next season.

We need to take some risks and blood some young players and let them play. Hopefully Des doesn't fuck there development up by trying to fit them into his ridiculous system like he has done these previous years.
Do we have any good young hookers with potential coming through the ranks? difficult to keep track of the young blokes coming through from north of the border! if Lichaa goes that leaves space for 2 Hookers, most top line clubs have 2 quality hooker come dummy halfs in the top grade these days with the shortened bench to compensate for the fatigue factor.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Do we have any good young hookers with potential coming through the ranks? difficult to keep track of the young blokes coming through from north of the border! if Lichaa goes that leaves space for 2 Hookers, most top line clubs have 2 quality hooker come dummy halfs in the top grade these days with the shortened bench to compensate for the fatigue factor.
Woolford is the gun young hooker...but then again so was Lichaa lol.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Didn't our 20's side finish second-last, last season ?

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It should be based on, If your good enough, your old enough. It would have been nice to see Abbey get a chance this year. Some players play better and show more potential when thrown into first grade, all they need is a chance.

Ahecee

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Really only saw fringe type players introduced this year (at least fringe type players right now anyway), nobody really put there hand up and made it hard to leave them out consistently.

We can really only use one or two juniors breaking in per year, but not sure any really had a break out year from the little I saw. Abbey will be 19/20 next season? hope he has a big off season and 2017. Stability in FB and Hoppa to Centre/Wing would be pretty handy at some point soonish if he can.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It's hard to say the juniors deserve promotion when they're not doing that well in the lower grades. I don't get to see a lot of the lower grades so I honestly couldn't say if we've got any stars in the making.

Ahecee

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm more hopeful for his stepping up, rather than basing it on anything I've seen this season (confession, I didn't watch any lower grade football at all this past season, but gathered from what I've heard he isn't there yet).

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
If hasler actually dropped under performing players , then maybe the lower grade players may have more incentive..

Status
Not open for further replies.