Do our younger players deserve a crack at firstgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
People hating on Abbey act like he wasn't part of the reason our NSW Cup side went from hopeless to making the finals. It's not easy for young players to play in a struggling team.

Nobody rated Damien Cook either before he got a run. I remember in a game he was hooked after like 10 minutes.

We all will have different opinions on this but I would have been much more accepting of this season if we had been blooding young players to give them experience and develop them further. A little pain this season and gains for the next. Penrith have done that consistently over the years and look how well it has worked out for them.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Would be good if we had the junior talent to rebuild the squad, but unfortunately we recruit 23-25 year olds that have never played first grade (or if they have its 12 games max)

Our pups missed out on the finals again and our NSW cup scrapped into the finals. We have maybe 4-5 talented kids in NYC but they arent ready for first grade. We have a couple of good wingers in intrust that can potentially set up. Abbey will need a good pre season if he is even a chance to debut in 2017, doubt he is up to it just yet..... But maybe if he starts the season well he can pressure for a first grade spot. Loud Perrett is our only decent forward in NSW cup and he hasnt made any impact in first grade (and is out of favour with the coach)

Our bad thing is we have no one even putting pressure on our first grade squad because the teams have played so badly (perrett actually went on a crazy try scoring streak when he finally got back into the NSW cup side, but wasnt enough to get him back into the team).

If we had a top 4 NSW cup and NYC team then of course promoting within is always an option, but if these guys cant stand out in Reserves chances our they will be out of their depth in first grade.

Smith, Montoya are exciting outside backs in our reserve grade team, you would think they might be a chance with 2 spots opening (most likely will be tits for hands philips and lee). But hopefully with a full preseason hasler will pick the best 17 and not his favourite 17.

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If hasler actually dropped under performing players , then maybe the lower grade players may have more incentive..
Agree 100%, there's no incentive for the lower grade team, hasler demotivates the entire playing group! When you give players an opportunity not only does it put the other guys on notice, it also bring enthusiasm and energy from the players coming up into the team.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Would be good if we had the junior talent to rebuild the squad, but unfortunately we recruit 23-25 year olds that have never played first grade (or if they have its 12 games max)

Our pups missed out on the finals again and our NSW cup scrapped into the finals. We have maybe 4-5 talented kids in NYC but they arent ready for first grade. We have a couple of good wingers in intrust that can potentially set up. Abbey will need a good pre season if he is even a chance to debut in 2017, doubt he is up to it just yet..... But maybe if he starts the season well he can pressure for a first grade spot. Loud Perrett is our only decent forward in NSW cup and he hasnt made any impact in first grade (and is out of favour with the coach)

Our bad thing is we have no one even putting pressure on our first grade squad because the teams have played so badly (perrett actually went on a crazy try scoring streak when he finally got back into the NSW cup side, but wasnt enough to get him back into the team).

If we had a top 4 NSW cup and NYC team then of course promoting within is always an option, but if these guys cant stand out in Reserves chances our they will be out of their depth in first grade.

Smith, Montoya are exciting outside backs in our reserve grade team, you would think they might be a chance with 2 spots opening (most likely will be tits for hands philips and lee). But hopefully with a full preseason hasler will pick the best 17 and not his favourite 17.
The Warriors had the best NYC and rrserve grade teams for years and how has that helped them? I wouldn't take too much stock into the final places of those teams. The addition of Lachlan Lewis helped NYC have a decent halves pairing for the first time in a long while.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The Warriors had the best NYC and rrserve grade teams for years and how has that helped them? I wouldn't take too much stock into the final places of those teams. The addition of Lachlan Lewis helped NYC have a decent halves pairing for the first time in a long while.
It hasnt won them anything. But atleast they have produced some good young players. Fusitua, Kata, Lolohea, Nathaniel Roache, Tevaga, Vete.

Ok like you said warriors have never won anything (even though they have had gun u20s teams for the last 5-6 years) made a GF in 2011 I think and nothing for 6 years. But atleast some of these kids filter through their system (and they do lose a lot of talent too). The thing with us we finished 1st in every comp in 2012 and went backwards in every grade since and our roster is getting weaker and weaker. Lewis was a great addition (who ever spotted/got him to come over hats off to them) and Kerr and Keighgran are something to look forward too, Strickland could be the next josh jackson. But apart from that our pickings are slim for the next generation coming through.

Chicharito

DOGGIES ARMY!!!
Reaction score
Abbey has to be starting fb next season imo. Montoya and Smith coul# potentially play on the wing. Strickland had massive raps on him but I really haven't seen much of him for us. Woolford looks like a great buy and I would also like to see him I the team next season.

We need to take some risks and blood some young players and let them play. Hopefully Des doesn't fuck there development up by trying to fit them into his ridiculous system like he has done these previous years.
The fact our reserve grade sides have been under performing for years now shows that Hasler has already had a negative impact. Its honestly quite embarrassing that we don't have more juniors running around in the FG side imo.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It hasnt won them anything. But atleast they have produced some good young players. Fusitua, Kata, Lolohea, Nathaniel Roache, Tevaga, Vete.

Ok like you said warriors have never won anything (even though they have had gun u20s teams for the last 5-6 years) made a GF in 2011 I think and nothing for 6 years. But atleast some of these kids filter through their system (and they do lose a lot of talent too). The thing with us we finished 1st in every comp in 2012 and went backwards in every grade since and our roster is getting weaker and weaker. Lewis was a great addition (who ever spotted/got him to come over hats off to them) and Kerr and Keighgran are something to look forward too, Strickland could be the next josh jackson. But apart from that our pickings are slim for the next generation coming through.
I wouldn't be surprised if our downturn in fortunes in the lower grades coincided with the departure of Peter Mulholland as our recruitment officer.

Personally I'm not too fussed if we win the 9's or lower grade comps. What would be nice is at least 2 first grade quality juniors joining the top squad every year. You can't keep them all but the fans would prefer bred not bought.

BushDog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Woolford is the gun young hooker...but then again so was Lichaa lol.
Haha true mate, can't wait to see how Woolford goes, his Dads family are from my hometown and they're all tough as nails no bullshit footballers. Simon and Ricky used to be team mates so for Zac to have left there's obviously no plans for the young fella short term with Hodgson/ the pommy bloke in front of him. Hopefully he can set the world on fire here. Surely one day soon we'll get a spine that everyone can agree on[emoji106]

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
exactly mate, see how they go in the trials, and then pick the best 17 with no des favourites.
The George costsnza method .

Let des pick 13 , discard and the remaining ones come in to first grade

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Hasler always had bad reserve grade teams when he was at Manly

Steve Wilson

Waterboy
Reaction score
Don't know how true this is, but i was told all junior rep coaches are given a folder on how to play, (written by des) and anyone who has initiative or a different take on things is either rissoled or doesn't want the job.. So if this is the case, how can you blame the kids if they are not developed properly?
Especially the backs, when they see veryy little football.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
So whats the story end up with Lloyd Perrett. Couldnt have been that bad a player getting the Terry Lamb medal, best in Reserve grade.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So whats the story end up with Lloyd Perrett. Couldnt have been that bad a player getting the Terry Lamb medal, best in Reserve grade.
I have no inside info but I'd assume that he takes Browne's bench spot.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Should have been in our 17 this year, but fuck knows what is going on between him and Des. People just smashed him for a few sloppy errors that most of our players make every week

Novocastrian

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe one day we can have adam and brad keighran as hooker and 5/8 and will kerr as 1/2. That louis strickland looks as though hes got a bit of talent there. Lachlan lewis might bulk up as he gets older and could be a good ball playing lock if he can defend.

ALX25

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Lewis will need to bulk up. Got toweled up by Fuimaono in the U20 SOO game.

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Maybe one day we can have adam and brad keighran as hooker and 5/8 and will kerr as 1/2. That louis strickland looks as though hes got a bit of talent there. Lachlan lewis might bulk up as he gets older and could be a good ball playing lock if he can defend.
Brad left mid season to play park footy for Wyong

Status
Not open for further replies.