Diabetes Walk for a Cure

Status
Not open for further replies.

dogkat

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks dogkat.

Edit: Thanks for making the first donation too! Very kind of you. We are aiming high this year so hopefully we get there.
It was fairly modest, but I thought I would kick things off.

I'm sure there are some other Kennellers out there who can match or beat my donation...

Bry

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I would love if even 10% of kennelers donated even a quarter of that amount Kat, so thank you!

Thanks to Punter for your awesome donation as well. Much appreciated!

G

Gladiator.

Baza, is there a bank transfer I can do? I currently do not hold a CC.

Bry

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Baza, is there a bank transfer I can do? I currently do not hold a CC.
I think it's only CC. If you want I can give you my bank details and I can then donate it for you.
just donated =]

your kids are so cute Baz!
Thanks Alex that's awesome.

Thanks to all of you that have donated and shared the page on your facebook accounts to encourage others to donate. It is very kind of you all and hopefully it will bring us one step closer to a cure.
We have hit the $300 mark thanks to you guys so we are at 10% of where we want to be after only 24 hours! We still have 2 months to go before the walk so hopefully we will smash our target to pieces.

G

Gladiator.

I think it's only CC. If you want I can give you my bank details and I can then donate it for you.

Thanks Alex that's awesome.

Thanks to all of you that have donated and shared the page on your facebook accounts to encourage others to donate. It is very kind of you all and hopefully it will bring us one step closer to a cure.
We have hit the $300 mark thanks to you guys so we are at 10% of where we want to be after only 24 hours! We still have 2 months to go before the walk so hopefully we will smash our target to pieces.
That'd be good Baza, I have a soft spot for kids (no d.ferguson), I can't stand to see them hurt in any way shape or form.

Bry

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It's Baza's wife here, Just wanted also send my thanks to all of you for offering your support to our Ashton. Each day is different and brings it's own challenges I could never wish this disease on my worst enemy. Today was a bad day for us and him thankfully Bryan and I are in this together. If I could have this disease for the rest of my life so our son didn't have to have this I would and I know Bryan would also.
The money you have donated is sooo appreciated.... I can't wait to see that day when my baby is cured of this horrible disease.

dogkat

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello Baza's wife!

I hate to hear it was a bad day. I hope things have settled down now?

Your son is lucky to have such caring parents.

Bry

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We have raised $570 now!

Thanks again to all of you who have donated.

Bry

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Sweet as Hani.

Hello Baza's wife!

I hate to hear it was a bad day. I hope things have settled down now?

Your son is lucky to have such caring parents.
Thanks Dogkat. He had a shocking day on Friday. His pump needle had come off while he was being looked after so he didn't get any insulin all day and had become very sick. He had very high ketones which is the stuff that builds up in diabetics bodies that does the damage. He was vomiting and was just miserable all evening. We gave him huge doses of insulin to bring his levels down and get the ketones out of his system which finally happened around 11pm.

Bry

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Thanks again to everyone who has donated.

A lot of the money raised so far has been from kennelers, so thanks!

Bry

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Come on tight arses haha.

Please donate anything if you can. Even a few dollars will help.

Here are some stats about Type 1 Diabetes.

* Type 1 Diabetes is not caused from eating the wrong foods and lack of exercise. The cells in the pancreas that produce insulin have died and therefore sufferers must rely on insulin injections to lead a healthy life. The immune system attacks the pancreas for reasons not yet understood.

* Type 1 diabetes is one of the most common chronic diseases in children, it occurs more frequently than cancer, cystic fibrosis, multiple sclerosis and muscular dystrophy

* Most newly diagnosed cases are in people less than 15 years old

* Approximately 1825 Australians are diagnosed with type 1 diabetes every year

* Incidence is increasing at 3.2% a year

In Australia, around 95% of the diabetes found in children is type 1 diabetes

dogkat

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Horrible stats Bry.

I didn't know it was more popular than cancer and the others you mentioned put together!

And I wonder why it is increasing if not food related???

Bry

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Horrible stats Bry.

I didn't know it was more popular than cancer and the others you mentioned put together!

And I wonder why it is increasing if not food related???
Scientists don't understand why it happens. Basically when a person gets a virus such as the flu, the immune system attacks the virus and then decides the pancreas is a threat as well and destroys it. Scientists think there are environmental triggers but don't know what. Some studies conclude that it can be genetic, others say it is not genetic, but then there are families such as Steve Renouf's where most of the family have autoimmune diseases including Type 1 Diabetes.

Steve and his wife have a company selling products for Diabetics and they have an interesting story.

http://www.diabete-ezy.com/About-Us-pg15155.html

Status
Not open for further replies.