Diabetes Walk for a Cure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bry

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Thansk fellas!

Glad to hear he has come home mate, must have been a hellish few days for you and you family.
Its been hard, but we are through it now. Life will return to normal, just have to monitor his sugar levels and give him insulin which they have been educating us about the past few days. He had Diabetic Ketoacidosis- Kim would know what it means! It is very serious, but now that he is on insulin its out of his system.

Being in intensive care scared the **** out of me, but it was more to make sure he had someone there watching him at all times to check his levels constantly. His body was shutting down, but is ok now. He has the fluids back in him, and will be normal as long as he is getting his insulin and test his levels 5 times a day.
Everyone at the Childrens Hospital have been great. They are just awesome.

Your Mum

Jorgie
Reaction score
Im glad to hear that baza.

I' just glad you guys found out about it before easter weekend. Chocolate & diabetes, it freaks me out even thinking of it.

BootS

Danned
Reaction score
Thansk fellas!

Its been hard, but we are through it now. Life will return to normal, just have to monitor his sugar levels and give him insulin which they have been educating us about the past few days. He had Diabetic Ketoacidosis- Kim would know what it means! It is very serious, but now that he is on insulin its out of his system.

Being in intensive care scared the **** out of me, but it was more to make sure he had someone there watching him at all times to check his levels constantly. His body was shutting down, but is ok now. He has the fluids back in him, and will be normal as long as he is getting his insulin and test his levels 5 times a day.
Everyone at the Childrens Hospital have been great. They are just awesome.
Yeah mate, i know what that is, his levels went through the roof the poor little fella. Once you get used to testing and correcting and watching his diet and carbs intake it will all come second nature to you.

I agree about the kiddies hospital, they are fantastic there, the nurses deserve medals imo.

Now you just have to watch hypo's and hyper's, its pretty scary for someone who is not a diabetic, i have had Kim speaking in tongues at me before. But once i learned what to do it all comes natural now.

I just realised the poor fella is'nt going to have much of an easter, wont be able to eat many eggs.... Unless they are sugar free of course :p

So what insulin have they got him on? Kim takes Novarapid for daily injections and Lantis for her 24 hour one.

Also his big brothers are going to get jealous because he can eat jellybeans whenever, even before meals if his levels are low :grinning:

Anyhoo, chin up mate, much love to you and your family..

MP4 - Eedz

C.O.T.B
Reaction score
:( Sorry to hear that Baza

I know he'll be fine mate, prayers with him

Bry

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I just realised the poor fella is'nt going to have much of an easter, wont be able to eat many eggs.... Unless they are sugar free of course :p

So what insulin have they got him on? Kim takes Novarapid for daily injections and Lantis for her 24 hour one.
Thats it, it will be a ****ty easter for him now. Its not fair for him to watch the other boys eating eggs, while he is getting his needle instead.

He is on the same as Kim. Lantis in the morning, then Novarapid three times per day before each meal. He has a bit of a scream when getting the needle in the ass cheek, but its only for about 10 seconds then he's alright again.

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
Ketoacidosis is a type of metabolic acidosis which is caused by high concentrations of ketone bodies.

Its more common in patients with type 1 diabetes which results in insufficient insulin

Bry

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Baza : Westmead or Randwick ?
Westmead!
They are ****ing awesome.

Ketoacidosis is a type of metabolic acidosis which is caused by high concentrations of ketone bodies.

Its more common in patients with type 1 diabetes which results in insufficient insulin
Yeah when they have high levels of Ketones, it stops the body from using the sugar they have consumed, so the body rejects the sugar which results in a lot of pissing= dehydration, and the sugar levels build up in the body which then produces ketones, which then start using body fat and muscle as sugars, which causes weight loss, loss of appetite, nausea, tiredness and irritability. Thats what I understand of it anyway! Our little man was very dehydrated and was on a drip for 3 days to get fluid back into him. He has lost about 1.5kg, which is heaps for someone that only weighed 13kg's. There's been a lot of info pumped into us over the last couple of days!

I

I R Cookie

awww Baza, sad to hear. I'm sure he'll be fine, just got to educate him bits at a time so his condition doesn't worsen. All the best for your family.

Bry

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Thanks Cookie.
He is sweet now, but its just harsh for him especially being Easter! I've just had to pull easter eggs off my other boys because Ashton wants it and can't have it. He starts screaming cause he can't have it, so I put it away and the other two start screaming cause now they cant have any! They will have to wait til he has a sleep before they have any more easter eggs.

PineappleBoy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its hard to see him there like that, but walking around the place seeing kids with no hair fighting cancer makes me feel lucky that it isnt as serious as that, as long as its managed properly he will be fine. They say he will get used to the needles, but FMD its going to kill me jabbing him 3-4 times a day.
Was gunna say it sucks that hes in hospital but at least hes got something that you can treat.

No-one would want it but at least once his older he will have no problem doing his insulin etc.

JackTheLad

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Cookie.
He is sweet now, but its just harsh for him especially being Easter! I've just had to pull easter eggs off my other boys because Ashton wants it and can't have it. He starts screaming cause he can't have it, so I put it away and the other two start screaming cause now they cant have any! They will have to wait til he has a sleep before they have any more easter eggs.
That's real tough mate. Don't they have sugar free chocolate or something similar they make easter eggs out of? What do parents of kids like yours do, maybe worth asking?

Bry

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
That's real tough mate. Don't they have sugar free chocolate or something similar they make easter eggs out of? What do parents of kids like yours do, maybe worth asking?
They do have sugar free, but we can't risk him eating the other boys normal chocolate. Being so young, he doesn't understand the difference, so we have to just put it all away and give him his bit of sugar free egg on his own so we know he has the right egg. we've been teaching our other kids to share their whole life, so they try to give him some of their eggs when he puts his hand out, so we just have to put it all away until he has a nap.

Ghost of Dime

Future1stGrader
Reaction score
They do have sugar free, but we can't risk him eating the other boys normal chocolate. Being so young, he doesn't understand the difference, so we have to just put it all away and give him his bit of sugar free egg on his own so we know he has the right egg. we've been teaching our other kids to share their whole life, so they try to give him some of their eggs when he puts his hand out, so we just have to put it all away until he has a nap.
That's rough mate- all the best to your family for Easter, hope the kids still have a good day. At least there'll be less hyperactivity; I've got 3 choc-filled lunatics going at the moment. Thank god the youngest isn't on the hard stuff yet.

Bry

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
That's rough mate- all the best to your family for Easter, hope the kids still have a good day. At least there'll be less hyperactivity; I've got 3 choc-filled lunatics going at the moment. Thank god the youngest isn't on the hard stuff yet.
Yeah our other two had a fair bit before the little one got up, so they've been bouncing off the walls all morning.

Bry

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We are going on a walk for JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation) on the 17th of October to raise money for Diabetes research, so they can hopefully one day find a cure for this ****ty illness.

If you would like to donate, follow the links on this page.

If you would like to walk to raise awareness, let me know! It is at Parramatta Park and I think it is 5km's. Last year there were thousands of people there. It was hosted by Rob Palmer (winner of Dancing with the stars) who is a type 1 Diabetic but I think he is unavailable this year.

http://walk.jdrf.org.au/teamParticipant.asp?participantID=2722

Status
Not open for further replies.