Opinion Des

Should we have kept Des Hasler?

• Total voters

ash160

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Des and Crusher! Couple of stooges from Manly sabotaged our club.

Terrible signings and recruitment management with missed talent including Munster who apparently was offered but nope, then the Cook fuckup...just to name a couple.

The quicker Des pissed off back over the spit the better

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
I literally can’t believe there are 17 fans on this forum with such short memories. That prick still holds the lion’s share of responsibility for the state we are in today.

Let Cook, Ennis, Finucane, Tapau, Reynolds (yes, I know many of you were happy about this, but in reality he is still playing some good footy and was born to be a bulldog) etc go....

Passed up chances to sign halves like Munster, Moloney snd countless others....

Our team’s performance got progressively worse under him rather than better....

He signed ex manly buddies like Foran and T Rex on massively over inflated deals.... not to mention Cleal, who sat there twiddling his thumbs the whole time he was with us.

Had us playing a style of footy so bland and uninspiring our games were painful to watch (a style which many of our players have not managed to get out of their systems to this day) ....

Completely neglected the juniors system which had worked so well for us throughout our history....

Des tried for his first few years at the club, because he had a point to prove ....after that he was just taking the piss and laughing all the way to the bank. It was only ever about him.

He is the worst thing thst ever happened to this club.

All I can say to those who miss him is this - face palm!

ash160

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I literally can’t believe there are 17 fans on this forum with such short memories. That prick still holds the lion’s share of responsibility for the state we are in today.

Let Cook, Ennis, Finucane, Tapau, Reynolds (yes, I know many of you were happy about this, but in reality he is still playing some good footy and was born to be a bulldog) etc go....

Passed up chances to sign halves like Munster, Moloney snd countless others....

Our team’s performance got progressively worse under him rather than better....

He signed ex manly buddies like Foran and T Rex on massively over inflated deals.... not to mention Cleal, who sat there twiddling his thumbs the whole time he was with us.

Had us playing a style of footy so bland and uninspiring our games were painful to watch (a style which many of our players have not managed to get out of their systems to this day) ....

Completely neglected the juniors system which had worked so well for us throughout our history....

Des tried for his first few years at the club, because he had a point to prove ....after that he was just taking the piss and laughing all the way to the bank. It was only ever about him.

He is the worst thing thst ever happened to this club.

All I can say to those who miss him is this - face palm!
..and Sezer, how did he not play for the dogs. We should have stuck with Kevin Moore, I guarantee the club would not have fallen apart

Last edited:

Kurrupt78

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Without Api and Fainu there this year Manly look a lot worse as Levi is just trash... They now look like the same one dimensional defensive minded team he made us. Even with Turbo and DCE..

So Des isn't the mastercoach people think he is and it stresses the importance of dummy halves that can run and threaten in attack.
Man, I’ve noticed this too with Manly this year. It’s almost identical at the way they play compared to us back when Des was at Dogs. The forwards passing before the line, a defensive hooker with a non existing running game etc etc.

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
Get what ur saying but Des took us to 2 grand finals in 3 years. Dean pay has kept us from avoiding the spoon for 3 years. He also played Lewis in the halves, he should be charged with crimes against rugby league for that alone.
People dont see progress (not that theres been much of that) only results
2012 was a great year. 2014 was a fluke . Other teams had injuries . Every other year was fucked.. I posted on here in early 2014 des should be sacked. I wish dib listed, we wouldnt be wood spoon favourites now, we would have a sponsor and dib prob would still be uncle Nick's after birth. Des can go get fucked.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
I told you all at the time this would happen. Des had a plan and we took him out before he could sort it.

Admittedly i wasnt the only one, maybe 20% of the fiorum agreed. but the majority here had the lack of forethought of our leadership group.

This isnt a 'hindsights a bitch' moment. We told you this would happen.

Des is a good coach with a bad eye for talent, but we could have gotten around it.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
..and Sezer, how did he not play for the dogs. We should have stuck with Kevin Moore, I guarantee the club would not have fallen apart
Moore really didnt have much idea in gameplay. he was booted at the right time.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Moore really didnt have much idea in gameplay. he was booted at the right time.
So some are disagreeing ?

what part of 3 hit ups? Simple spread out wide to Bryson in 4 and a clearing kick on 5 did I get wrong?
That was every play under moore. Clockwork. Other teams solved it after a season.
Moore got lucky because Stagg, Bryson, Eastwood and Hannant all had blinders in 2009.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I couldn't stand his press conferences. For a trained school teacher he can't string a sentence together. For a long time I thought he was just mocking the reporters but he never stopped. I had no idea what he was going on about most of the time.
He must of had some tv presentation lessons cos he is a lot better and has the journos eatin out of his hand grrr

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Des was doing it back in 2014 long before any cap rises were even talked about. He was in effect using a credit card to push the payments further back to keep the premiership window open long then it would have naturally been.
I've still never quite reconciled that...because we still didn't have the high calibre roster other teams did. The overs must have been huge.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Des is only good at Manly. I swear he is either grossly incompetent or was sabotaging us, to take the 2012 side he inherited and break it down to a reserve grade side by the time he left

Sandra's Bollocks

Est. 1979
Reaction score
I feel we were a personal experiment to Despot. He instilled a method which worked mathematically but unfortunately made our team robotic, and that was where we fell down. He's not a dumb coach, just very stubborn.

silva

Utility
Reaction score
Team we would have if Des was still coach:
1. Hoppa
2. B Morris
3. J Morris
4. M Suli
5. R Smith
6. Foran
7. Wakeham
8. Woods
9. Mbye
10. Klemmer
11. Jackson
12. RFM
13. Elliott
14. Tolman
15. Toomaga
16. C Smith
17. Ogden

Plus minus a few signings wed be a top 8 team no doubt

silva

Utility
Reaction score
Des is only good at Manly. I swear he is either grossly incompetent or was sabotaging us, to take the 2012 side he inherited and break it down to a reserve grade side by the time he left
Youre confusing him with Pay. Pay inherited a quality roster and within 6 weeks of the season players wanted out and the club used the cap as an excuse

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Youre confusing him with Pay. Pay inherited a quality roster and within 6 weeks of the season players wanted out and the club used the cap as an excuse
It's possible a player or 2 might have used the current state of the team and/or Pay, to leave but I believe most of who we let go, we had to, to fix our cap issues and get funds for a rebuild.

Whether we have gone through this for nothing or not will be known soon. If we can't have a competitive side starting 2021, with the money we have to spend now, then yeh, we never will with the current staff at the club and the axe should get a workout.

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. Hoppa
2. B Morris
3. J Morris
4. M Suli
5. R Smith
6. Foran
7. Wakeham
8. Woods
9. Mbye
10. Klemmer
11. Jackson
12. RFM
13. Elliott
14. Tolman
15. Toomaga
16. C Smith
17. Ogden

1. Hoppa
2. B Morris
3. J Morris
4. M Suli
5. R Smith
6. Foran
7. Wakeham
8. Woods
9. Mbye
10. Klemmer
11. Jackson
12. RFM
13. Elliott
14. Tolman
15. Toomaga
16. C Smith
17. Ogden

Your team is possibly close to what Des would of done with players that are or where at the club.
But given how their values where assessed in his tenure, I doubt they'd be salary cap left over after Jackson in the team order you listed.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
The philosophy of Des was / is have three or four leading / attacking players and an army of workers around them - he had it in 2012. He has it now with Trobjevic bros n DCE. Its like having a small number of players do all the thinking n organising the others just keep to their own lanes. 2014 - everything went the Dogs way in the finals series except the GF.

shaun5150

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Players played FOR Des. They respected Des. We didn't have great halves back then but he could work to their strengths, like a good coach should.
They even now still respect him and I have no doubt call him every now and again, like Jackson.

These guys don't play for Pay. They play hard for each other but not the coach. This coach can't get them to improve or focus week in week out.
I'd love for Griffin to come in now and work with this squad, as he has worked with younger inexperienced squads before and got them to a solid level.

Griffin's coaching would work for the Dogs style of play. Old school style. Folkes never was much of a talker. Chris Anderson is a grumpy old man.
Warren Ryan had a personality like a brick.
Griffin would be gold

silva

Utility
Reaction score
Your team is possibly close to what Des would of done with players that are or where at the club.
But given how their values where assessed in his tenure, I doubt they'd be salary cap left over after Jackson in the team order you listed.
Had we been winning games in 18 the Morris boys for example would have stayed for less to win a title. I believe we would have made finals at least with des in 18