Des Hasler has made the finals 11 times in his 12 year NRL career

Status
Not open for further replies.

billybob

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
HE is placed only behind the Immortal St George side of the 1950s and ‘60s.

When it comes to finals football, Canterbury coach Des Hasler is the true master.

The Daily Telegraph can today reveal Hasler has, incredibly, made the finals 11 times in his 12 year career — a strike rate only bettered by Norm Provan, who coached the mighty Dragons side to eight finals series in eight years during the club’s historic 11-season reign.

Melbourne’s Craig Bellamy has a slightly better strike rate than Hasler but the Storm were stripped of two premierships for systematic salary cap rorting over four years.

Hasler’s finals success is even greater than that of Wayne Bennett, Bob Fulton, Graeme Langlands, Ken Arthurson and the legendary Jack Gibson.

Describing Hasler an be difficult. He can be complex, left-field and in-depth. Few see it, but he’s one of the funniest men in rugby league.

In this exclusive one-on-one interview with The Daily Telegraph, Hasler opened up about his coaching, his Bulldogs, expectations and semi-finals.

HOW HASLER?

How does he do it? How does he have his sides primed for September?

TEAMS: Finals week one team lists

REYNOLDS: I’ve been a dumb footballer

A reluctant Hasler said: “I don’t really think about it too much really.

“I want you to make this point. I am very fortunate to work with an unbelievable support staff, who are hardworking loyal.

“Thank you very much Mr Ritchie.”

EXPECTATIONS

The Dogs are there each season. So are the expectations for such a famous and successful club.

“Our expectations I think are to play well, that’s everyone’s expectations. To be able to compete and play at your potential and not walk away disappointed and not to have underplayed but having given yourselves every chance,” Hasler said.

Des plays down Dogs form
“Our journey here hasn’t been an easy one. We have had our fair share of injuries and suspensions. We had five to six players involved in Origin. The club, staff and HPU (high performance unit) negotiated that pretty well. We’ve had injuries, as most clubs do, but we have had the depth to cover it. There have been some great stories. You get to this stage, you just want to play footy. The boys are really excited.”

NOT TOP DOGS

The Bulldogs have been thereabout all season — but never really dominant.

“Players from our top-25 squad have missed a combined total of 76 games through suspension, injury and Origin — that’s three seasons of footy,” he said.

“That’s a lot. I haven’t compared that to too many other sides but when you look at it in that light ...”

GRUBBY BUSINESS

Josh Reynolds is back — more matured and ready to rock.

“I think a lot of people saw a big change in his game last week,” Hasler said. “A bit more mature, managed things a bit better.

“He is aware of that. He has had one of those really tough years with injury. I thought he was solid last week.”

HOUNDING SEPTEMBER

Canterbury love September. It’s in their DNA.

“There is pressure at any club, not just here. It just comes with the expectation,” he said.

“Each club in their outlines expect success. That’s part of your mantra and part of what you do as well as developing the players and building a great culture.

“The players and staff here have certainly done that, both the football side the admin.”

THE DRAGONS

Hasler knows his side will confront a desperate St George Illawarra this Saturday night at ANZ Stadium.

“They were on top of the competition for a long part of the year,” Hasler said. “This game is sudden-death. I don’t think it comes down to who is favourites.

“It’s how your side wants to perform. It’s too early to say who is going to win with this sudden-death format. It’s about the side that turns up and executes their game the best.

“And the Dragons have been good at that. It’s another whole level and they have some good experienced players who can handle all that.”

Source: http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...-year-nrl-career/story-e6frf3pu-1227518412022

Just for all the sack Hasler fans.

chadiwrx

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
When it comes to finals football, Canterbury coach Des Hasler is the true master.

The Daily Telegraph can today reveal Hasler has, incredibly, made the finals 11 times in his 12 year career — a strike rate only bettered by Norm Provan, who coached the mighty Dragons side to eight finals series in eight years during the club’s historic 11-season reign.

Melbourne’s Craig Bellamy has a slightly better strike rate than Hasler but the Storm were stripped of two premierships for systematic salary cap rorting over four years.

Hasler’s finals success is even greater than that of Wayne Bennett, Bob Fulton, Graeme Langlands, Ken Arthurson and the legendary Jack Gibson.

Describing Hasler an be difficult. He can be complex, left-field and in-depth. Few see it, but he’s one of the funniest men in rugby league.

In this exclusive one-on-one interview with The Daily Telegraph, Hasler opened up about his coaching, his Bulldogs, expectations and semi-finals.

HOW HASLER?

How does he do it? How does he have his sides primed for September?

A reluctant Hasler said: “I don’t really think about it too much really.

“I want you to make this point. I am very fortunate to work with an unbelievable support staff, who are hardworking loyal.

“Thank you very much Mr Ritchie.”

EXPECTATIONS

The Dogs are there each season. So are the expectations for such a famous and successful club.

“Our expectations I think are to play well, that’s everyone’s expectations. To be able to compete and play at your potential and not walk away disappointed and not to have underplayed but having given yourselves every chance,” Hasler said.

“Our journey here hasn’t been an easy one. We have had our fair share of injuries and suspensions. We had five to six players involved in Origin. The club, staff and HPU (high performance unit) negotiated that pretty well. We’ve had injuries, as most clubs do, but we have had the depth to cover it. There have been some great stories. You get to this stage, you just want to play footy. The boys are really excited.”

NOT TOP DOGS

The Bulldogs have been thereabout all season — but never really dominant.

“Players from our top-25 squad have missed a combined total of 76 games through suspension, injury and Origin — that’s three seasons of footy,” he said.

“That’s a lot. I haven’t compared that to too many other sides but when you look at it in that light ...”

GRUBBY BUSINESS

Josh Reynolds is back — more matured and ready to rock.

“I think a lot of people saw a big change in his game last week,” Hasler said. “A bit more mature, managed things a bit better.

“He is aware of that. He has had one of those really tough years with injury. I thought he was solid last week.”

HOUNDING SEPTEMBER

Canterbury love September. It’s in their DNA.

“There is pressure at any club, not just here. It just comes with the expectation,” he said.

“Each club in their outlines expect success. That’s part of your mantra and part of what you do as well as developing the players and building a great culture.

“The players and staff here have certainly done that, both the football side the admin.”

THE DRAGONS

Hasler knows his side will confront a desperate St George Illawarra this Saturday night at ANZ Stadium.

“They were on top of the competition for a long part of the year,” Hasler said. “This game is sudden-death. I don’t think it comes down to who is favourites.

“It’s how your side wants to perform. It’s too early to say who is going to win with this sudden-death format. It’s about the side that turns up and executes their game the best.

“And the Dragons have been good at that. It’s another whole level and they have some good experienced players who can handle all that.”

Source

Shnissss

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Love the mad scientist!

Wink, nose whistle, wink!

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Pretty much all our players are finals veterans now, I just dont want to see us get dominated by virgins.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If we keep on making the finals in the next five years surely we will win one of them.

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
This year is our year we have to win if we make the grand final it would be 3 appearances in 4 years would that be a record.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
This year is our year we have to win if we make the grand final it would be 3 appearances in 4 years would that be a record.
Roosters- 02,03,04

Storm - illegally made it 06,07,08,09

FreshSoulL

Faith
Reaction score
out of the 11 times he has made the GF 5 times? is that correct

terrylamb4lyfe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get rid of the dud and put Dymock in. Dymock was once given wraps 5 years ago in the dailytelegraph when he was the NSW assistant coach, so hes definitely got the credentials to lead us to the promised land. Something hasler has not done for us, which invalidates everything else hes ever done for us.

Signed, the kennel.

dean_aus

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
And when he has won five games in a row he has always made the grand final. When he hasn't done that in a season he never has. - Ben Ikin, NRL360

Karat

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He guided a team that had Kris Keating at halfback, and again another team with Sam Perrett at fullback to grand finals..
This should speak for itself.

Izzy Forreal

Much Loved Bulldogs Member
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Des Hasler has made the finals 11 times in his 12 year NRL career

Can't argue with the fact that its a fine achievement.

But if he is such a great coach why do the Bulldogs run so hot and cold; sometimes putting in a great effort and others when they just go through the motions?

sultanofsydney

Kennel Participant
Reaction score

So no one else would or could of know this before reading this article?

Status
Not open for further replies.