Des Hasler and Bulldog Playing Style

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The article goes into the problem we had with Des. He lost the confidence of the players, his style was dictatorial and regressive, and he was addicted to technology.
This is the first time I've seen that acknowledged in the media. We've been saying it for years, but the MSM were not interested back then.
See...we weren't going mad

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
FUCK SAKE, Des winning percentage at Canterbury was 57% almost identical as at Manly 59%.

The wheels fell of the 2016 because of 6 shit ***** who kept dropping the ball and missing tackles and the club’s lack of depth was exposed at the back end of the season.

2017 we only scored 360 points because those useless ***** Mybe & Reynolds couldn’t organise shit. Yet somehow we won 10 games and lost 6 games by six points or less.

Anyone who says Des can’t coach is a fucken moron.

Oh and speaking of morons our club gifted Des $2 million for nothing.
Des can't coach. Hes a gambler, only reason we got into the GF 2014.was because of Ennis leading the way

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Des can't coach. Hes a gambler, only reason we got into the GF 2014.was because of Ennis leading the way
really...can't coach

Not including this season he has been head coach 14 seasons, results

58% wining record
2 premierships
5 grand finals
6 top 4 finishes
12 top 8 finishes

No too bad for someone who can't coach. Manly are going ok this season by the way.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
really...can't coach

58% wining record
2 premierships
5 grand finals
6 top 4 finishes
12 top 8 finishes

No too bad for someone who can't coach. Manly are going ok this season by the way.
He can definitely coach, but it does not change the fact that he did a lot wrong by our club and that he had to go.

His legacy to our club will be his gross mismanagement of structures, cap and style of footy.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
He can definitely coach, but it does not change the fact that he did a lot wrong by our club and that he had to go.

His legacy to our club will be his gross mismanagement of structures, cap and style of footy.
He didn't have to go. I think we followed a bad decision with another sacking Hasler. He should of been with us until at least the end of next year imo. If you're going to let Hasler create the experiment that he did with our roster, you have to make him go through what we have over last year, this year and next year with him... Hasler vs Pay who's the better coach? It's a no brainer. We were never going to attract a top coach after sacking Hasler, and we won't until 2021 when we're able to put together a competitive roster.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
He didn't have to go. I think we followed a bad decision with another sacking Hasler. He should of been with us until at least the end of next year imo. If you're going to let Hasler create the experiment that he did with our roster, you have to make him go through what we have over last year, this year and next year with him... Hasler vs Pay who's the better coach? It's a no brainer. We were never going to attract a top coach after sacking Hasler, and we won't until 2021 when we're able to put together a competitive roster.
he had to go.. he was giving so many opportunities to rectify his action, which ultimately were for his own selfish interest and not for the betterment of the club.

The stain this guy left will not be washed away quickly.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
really...can't coach

58% wining record
2 premierships
5 grand finals
6 top 4 finishes
12 top 8 finishes

No denying...He can coach
My problem with him. .
Why did he fail at Canterbury ?
Was money his only motive ?
Did he truly care for the club and its supporters ?
Was he concerned only for his mates financial welfare ?
A close friend of the Hughes family told me once ( I hope we don't sign him, he doesn't fit in our culture ) that was the Hughess belief too !!!

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score

ah no....as soon as the club sacked him the club owns the outcome.

As I said before if your tell a painter to piss off half way through a painting and then you commission a new painter to finish painting you can't complain out the finished painting as it is all on you.

Before he got sacked Des was saying he needed to recruit in certain positions and rebuild structures, never got the chance, got sacked.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
ah no....as soon as the club sacked him the club owns the outcome.

As I said before if your tell a painter to piss off half way through a painting and then you commission a new painter to finish painting you can't complain out the finished painting as it is all on you.

Before he got sacked Des was saying he needed to recruit in certain positions and rebuild structures, never got the chance, got sacked.
Ah No. Des hired a 1.2 million dollar paperweight.. how has that worked out.. he employed a style of play they had almost every commentator criticising how boring we were.. please stop being so narrow sighted. He's lucky he got a second chance from manly that gave him the opportunity to make amends for his previous fuck ups.. I will never hate any former members of our club more than I hate Des.....

ash160

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good read...I have no real hard feelings towards Des apart from the fact he had completely run out of ideas and some of his dubious signings showed a real lack of understanding what was needed...he did dig a deep hole for the club going forward.

I’m starting to see some light at the end of the tunnel for the doggies!

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
No denying...He can coach
My problem with him. .
Why did he fail at Canterbury ?
Was money his only motive ?
Did he truly care for the club and its supporters ?
Was he concerned only for his mates financial welfare ?
A close friend of the Hughes family told me once ( I hope we don't sign him, he doesn't fit in our culture ) that was the Hughess belief too !!!
Out of interest what is your definition of fail?
He did have a 57% win rate, 5 final series in a row and 2 grand finals.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Ah No. Des hired a 1.2 million dollar paperweight.. how has that worked out.. he employed a style of play they had almost every commentator criticising how boring we were.. please stop being so narrow sighted. He's lucky he got a second chance from manly that gave him the opportunity to make amends for his previous fuck ups.. I will never hate any former members of our club more than I hate Des.....
Hang on.....didn't Dib sack Des and take all the credit for signing Foran & Woods?
Then there is the sliding doors, how would of Foran & Woods gone if Des was still at the club, would Klemmer or the Morris brothers have left, would there have ever been a "salary cap crisis"?
Those type of hypothetical questions are just as legitimate as blaming Des for every failing the club is currently experiencing.

Look you can hate on Des in a totally irrational way all you want, that’s your business.
But answer me this why was Des sacked again:-
1. Because we missed the 8 or
2. Because the team was paying boring football?
3. all of the above.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Out of interest what is your definition of fail?
He did have a 57% win rate, 5 final series in a row and 2 grand finals.
Football is a form of entertainment...It's a fail if you don't
Struggling to win ugly under the pretense of being under the radar...is a fail
Preventing the team celebrating after making the grand final 2012...is a fail
Destroying our first and lower grades rosters by keeping the wrong players and pushing out the good loyal players...is a fail
We were minor premiers in all grades in 2012...what happened since is a fail
Overpaying his favorite players...is a fail
Not recognizing new talent eg. L. Mitchell, C. Watson, C. Munster, M. Moses, D. Cook...is a fail
Persisting on playing the ugliest and most boring football style in the games history...is a fail
Deceiving the club that financially rewarded him and fans that treated and respected him like no other...Is the greatest fail !!!
Maybe these are old values that means nothing to some but means a lot to me...This is why he lost my respect !!!

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The biggest winner in all of this is Raelene Castle. Did the worst possible job as a ceo, worse than Hasler and din combined in comparison. And was able to walk off scot free without any criticism because she’s a woman and everyone just cried sexism the second she criticised correctly for how much of a shit **** she was and still is.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hang on.....didn't Dib sack Des and take all the credit for signing Foran & Woods?
Then there is the sliding doors, how would of Foran & Woods gone if Des was still at the club, would Klemmer or the Morris brothers have left, would there have ever been a "salary cap crisis"?
Those type of hypothetical questions are just as legitimate as blaming Des for every failing the club is currently experiencing.

Look you can hate on Des in a totally irrational way all you want, that’s your business.
But answer me this why was Des sacked again:-
1. Because we missed the 8 or
2. Because the team was paying boring football?
3. all of the above.
All of the above and the fans had enough well and truly before he re-signed.. ultimately he was sacked in a last ditch attempt to save face..

Lol @ irrational.. I think it's irrational for a bulldogs supporter to be a hasler sympathizer..

blowdawhistle

New Pup
Reaction score
I think Des was making some left field (risky) decisions in an experiment that he was losing control of. I don't think he intentionally tried to bring the club down.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The biggest winner in all of this is Raelene Castle. Did the worst possible job as a ceo, worse than Hasler and din combined in comparison. And was able to walk off scot free without any criticism because she’s a woman and everyone just cried sexism the second she criticised correctly for how much of a shit **** she was and still is.
She was a smart operator but not football smart, the board employed her for good public image and political correctness purpose.
Dib's mistake was taking over her football duties and trusting Hasler
Hasler is a cunning and deceiving bastard that the club shouldn't have re-employed or trusted

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Unfortuantely happens in business all the time. CEO gets sacked at one company a picked up at another. Even bad experience is better than no experience. Eventually they are shown the door once again
Raelene Castle is a pretty good example of that...

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think Des was making some left field (risky) decisions in an experiment that he was losing control of. I don't think he intentionally tried to bring the club down.
A person that makes so many mistakes like Hasler did is either a con or brain-dead

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
She was a smart operator but not football smart, the board employed her for good public image and political correctness purpose.
Dib's mistake was taking over her football duties and trusting Hasler
Hasler is a cunning and deceiving bastard that the club shouldn't have re-employed or trusted
What was smart about what she did? Caring about politics over football in the nrl is fkn dumb. End of.