Des and Bozo’s truce over player poaching

Status
Not open for further replies.

chadiwrx

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Bulldogs coach Des Hasler and Sea Eagles supremo Bob Fulton strike a pact over poaching players

BOB Fulton and Des Hasler have resurrected a 30-year-old pact between the Sea Eagles and the Bulldogs over the poaching of each other’s players.

Back in the 80s, legendary chief executives (or secretaries as they were known) Ken Arthurson and Peter Moore (above) had a private agreement that the superstars at both clubs were off-limits.

It lasted for more than a decade until the Super League war when Moore joined the breakaway competition, Arthurson stayed loyal to the ARL and their friendship ended.

Fulton has revealed he and Hasler now have the same arrangement. The pair go back a long way. It was Fulton who brought Hasler to Manly as a young halfback from Penrith back in 1984. He also mentored Hasler as a rookie coach when he took over at Manly in 2004.

“It’s just something we both wanted to agree on,” Fulton said. “We talk regularly about all rugby league things including player recruitment.

“I respect Des a lot. His coaching record speaks for itself.”

On occasions where they may be interested in each other’s players, they will discuss it.

The pact prevents Manly from bidding for the likes of Josh Jackson, Dave Klemmer or Moses Mbye, who are in negotiations at Belmore to stay beyond 2016.

It also stops Hasler from going after any of Manly’s rising stars and the reason why the Bulldogs pulled out of talks to sign Kieran Foran.

Fulton has a similar relationship with Penrith Panthers supremo Gus Gould.

Source

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think this benefits our club to be honest.. Pretty weird scenario really but overall it's good for us.. Things like this make Rugby League the greatest game of all..

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Des failed at poaching foran and the trbos. May aswel stop Manly trying to pinch our young forwards.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Fantastic idea get the ball rolling des return Dorothy

Haza

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Does that mean we can go after foran if he decides to leave parra mid way through next season.

Blue&White

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This article is nonsense.

If Fulton and Gould have a similar arrangement, why have Brown and Koroisau signed with Manly next season?

neovo89

Kennel Established
Reaction score

If Fulton and Gould have a similar arrangement, why have Brown and Koroisau signed with Manly next season?
I personally think it has to do more with juniors up and coming than first graders... just my thoughts

truckdriver

Waterboy
Reaction score
well this gives us a long term coach in des , reading betwwen the lines , hes hear from along time , also we never buy roosters players ....

Slick

Young Gun
Reaction score

It says that on occasions where they want to bid they we'll discuss it, ie Fulton and Gould would have had tea and cookies and said "you willing to let us take Brown and Koroisau?" "sure"

I assume if it was a Segeyaro they were going for or vice versa a DCE the conversation would have differed slightly.

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
well this gives us a long term coach in des , reading betwwen the lines , hes hear from along time , also we never buy roosters players ....
Sam perret and his brother?

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Not in the best interest of the Bulldogs in my opinion. Why make a deal that you can't get talent from another club, doesn't make sense. Sure it stops (in theory) our players gong their but if they don't want to be with us they can go.....and will probably go somewhere else anyway. There's always that 1% feeling in the back of my mind about Des and Manly....I don't know what he will have to do for me to trust him 100%?

immortalbulldog

Eternal Doggy
Reaction score
This was onviously a cunning ploy by Bozo to ensure TRex never returns to Brookvale

immortalbulldog

Eternal Doggy
Reaction score
Not in the best interest of the Bulldogs in my opinion. Why make a deal that you can't get talent from another club, doesn't make sense. Sure it stops (in theory) our players gong their but if they don't want to be with us they can go.....and will probably go somewhere else anyway. There's always that 1% feeling in the back of my mind about Des and Manly....I don't know what he will have to do for me to trust him 100%?
I highly doubt, in fact I'm sure, Des would ever stab us in the back to give Manly a leg up. He's simply too competitive. I think more than anything this article just aims to show that clubs and those in charge are reverting back to the old ways of bring upfront with each other and not being deceitful. It's probably more about not allowing ourselves or manly not allowing themselves to be used by player managers to hike up player prices.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I think we will still see players from respective clubs get poached,
Difference is it will only be done if it's agreed by both clubs,
If manly want Reynolds say,
And dogs don't want him,
Dogs will allow manly to sign him,
That's how it will work,

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I highly doubt the authenticity of this article... something feels like it is taken out of context.

Also, what exactly is Fulton's position at Manly?

Status
Not open for further replies.