Defusing the short kick off

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrisaaar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry if this has already been posted recently, but seriously, wtf is going on here? feels like every opposition team who has done it to us in recent memory has ended up with the ball and in great attacking position.

If I were the opposition I'd seriously think about doing this every kick off as it feels like we are one of the worst teams at defusing it and they'll probably get it 9/10.

I don't watch every single game so i'm not sure if it's successful most the time for other teams but F*** it's frustrating.

/rant

Big_Dawg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Need to put Perret at the back he's an easy target

Minion

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Need to put Perret at the back he's an easy target
We need to put Perrett at the back of the bus (not in the top 17). Short kick offs are always aimed at our vulnerable right edge, with good reason.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
The attacking side have a much bigger advantage during a short kick off, dunno why we don't see it more often.

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I made the thread about this few weeks ago and people laughed at me.

Bluebody

The Strategist
Reaction score
I agree - we need to get our best players positioned at the 10 when its on.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Short kickoffs shouldn't be an issue with this sides potential. We should be infront by enough for them to not be a concern imo.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Short kickoffs shouldn't be an issue with this sides potential. We should be infront by enough for them to not be a concern imo.
Be realistic lol. We are not the side we should be.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Be realistic lol. We are not the side we should be.
Thats what i mean, if they stop being so frantic and just be patient the points will come.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Thats what i mean, if they stop being so frantic and just be patient the points will come.
Way more to it than that. Our whole game needs a revamp if we want to be more than just good enough.

Blue&White

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We need to put Perrett at the back of the bus (not in the top 17). Short kick offs are always aimed at our vulnerable right edge, with good reason.
Most teams kick to the right on a short kick off. It's the preferred side for a right foot kicker. Has nothing to do with our right edge, which I thought were a lot better last night.

Last edited by a moderator:

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I'd go short from the initial kick off lol

Nobody would expect it lol

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Dogs have had more errors from kicks than any other team in the competition. So I don't see why short kick offs would be any different.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score

Id also have a crack. Hard for the defence to set blockers and the attackers will out number the defence.

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score

I saw the Intrust super cup game between Ipswish jets and east tigers.

Ipswich took short kick after every try tigers scored. Worked for them every time as I am sure they practice it during the week,not like us a pathetic excuse of short kick off from lafai yesterday... the worst short kick off ever!

Ipswich won the game 44-18.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gingerbread Man

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Yes I did notice that we're very bad at defusing short kick offs. However on the weekend I noticed that we are just as bad as doing short kick offs ourselves. That effort from Lafai when we were down 8-6 was shocking. He kicked it 20m into no mans land and gave us no chance and from memory he kicked it to Perrett's side and not to Rona???

What do we do at training? We can't kick in general play, we can't kick penalty goals and we can't do short kick offs.

Izzy Forreal

Much Loved Bulldogs Member
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
The attacking side have a much bigger advantage during a short kick off, dunno why we don't see it more often.
Correct. The kicking side know where or who the ball is aimed at and have the physical advantage to run, jump, catch it or knock it back to their own side.

Chrisaaar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes I did notice that we're very bad at defusing short kick offs. However on the weekend I noticed that we are just as bad as doing short kick offs ourselves. That effort from Lafai when we were down 8-6 was shocking. He kicked it 20m into no mans land and gave us no chance and from memory he kicked it to Perrett's side and not to Rona???

What do we do at training? We can't kick in general play, we can't kick penalty goals and we can't do short kick offs.
We can't defuse them and we can't do them ourselves... If we've only practiced via Trent Hodkinson then we've shot ourselves in the foot considering how injury prone he is.

Need to get it sorted out ASAP because I can't imagine my TV lasting much longer if say, we are winning by a non converted try with 30 seconds left and the chooks do it this week and end up winning from it.

GUSLER

Kennel Established
Reaction score
This is a Bulldogs characteristic, along with having tough forwards and slow wingers. Been watching the Dogs for 30 years and i reckon we defuse 5% of the short kick offs we received, and win 5% of the short kick offs we attempt...

Status
Not open for further replies.