Defintion of "defensive line"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snowmann

Party Rocker
Reaction score
Exactly what im asking, I always thought the definsive line was where they (the defenders) stand after a tackle, please corrct me if im wrong.

Owey

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The defensive line is the line of defence that stands back the 10m from the play the ball. Complex stuff I know.

I think you should maybe check out this site instead!!

http://www.woof.net.au/

MP4 - Eedz

C.O.T.B
Reaction score
huh ?

I've always considered the defensive line as the defence (regardless of it actually being in a line or not, distance from the play or otherwise) ... I think, correct me if I'm wrong

For example, the defensive line is running back 10m, the defensive line is on the goal line waiting for a drop out to be taken, the defensive line running back to the 30m for a tap restart .... etc

Snowmann

Party Rocker
Reaction score
The defensive line is the line of defence that stands back the 10m from the play the ball. Complex stuff I know.

I think you should maybe check out this site instead!!

http://www.woof.net.au/

Well, that is what i thought, and i only ask because im re-watching the Eels game, and im just wondering how Taylor can say there was any obstruction beacuse as far as i can see, the decoy runners run only as far up as the play the ball and not where the defenders are standing, how can you impede a defender when you are still behind the ruck, am i wrong?..

Oh, and thanks for that pathetic attempt at putting me down, a simple answer would be great as i was just confused so next time please just eat a ****. Thank you.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
ive always regarded the defensive line as the defence in formation at any time, since they are usually in a line

on the subject of obstruction, if a member of the defensive line thinks that a decoy will get the ball and then alters his direction or attitude by even a tiny margin before the ball runner runs behind that decoy to advantage then that is a penalty

it is not required that the decoy makes contact with the defence

MP4 - Eedz

C.O.T.B
Reaction score
Well, that is what i thought, and i only ask because im re-watching the Eels game, and im just wondering how Taylor can say there was any obstruction beacuse as far as i can see, the decoy runners run only as far up as the play the ball and not where the defenders are standing, how can you impede a defender when you are still behind the ruck, am i wrong?..
They can because the defender isn't restricted to the limits of the play the ball, a decoy runner could cause a defender run pass the play the ball and IF the attacker is running behind that decoy runner then he has obstructed the tackle

For example, on a kick return, if the fullback runs behind his winger and that causes a defender to miss the tackle then that is an obstruction, and that's no where near the play the ball

I think .... but to be honest, if this discussion is regarding a Jason Taylor article I'll stop right here :p

Status
Not open for further replies.