** Decision reversed** NRL BANS Australian National Anthem at Origin

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score

The only reason they are banning the anthem is because they know a few entitled trouble makers like Latrell Mitchell and Cody Walker would likely take a knee during the anthem - something which none of the NRL execs want to have to manage when it happens.

This makes me want to give up my support for league.

Dannyboi88

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If they take a fucking knee they can hand back there fee and there jersey.
The games a business that generates revenue not a sounding board for everyone’s problems
There is more pride in origin then any sport in this country
I know cause a lot of my work mates are afl lovers and they all love SOO cause of the pride in the game

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
It's idiotic to have the national anthem when it's Aussies playing against each other. It should only be played when we're playing other countries.

Also it wasn't banned, it was just removed.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Depends whether you think it's important to come together with a common unifying theme celebrating everything that is great about Australia at important occasions rather than having political things tearing them apart..
So... mandatory non-essential activities are unifying... interesting...

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Yuck, a minority who are wrong mind you get something that represents 25 million people banned. Won’t be watching the series now

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
It goes to show that a very tiny minority of trouble makers can scare very well paid executives into avoiding situations which might lead to controversy.

How many well paid aboriginal players complained about the anthem last year? I think it might have been 3 or 4.

Clearly it only takes 3 or 4 trouble makers to get an entire sporting league to make decisions like this.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Extremely dissappointed, political correctness rears it's ugly head again. It was always a special moment being at a grand final or an origin game and having almost everyone in the crowd sing the anthem out loud.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
With all due respect, it’s not a international game. It’s literally state v state.
if it was Australia v ANYONE you’d have a national anthem play .. but why are we worked up over them not doing for a state game where both teams are Australian

Precise

Kennel Established
Reaction score
This is just the first step to ease us into removing it completely.

Fuck this deadshit game and the admins in control of it. Weak as fucking piss, hope ratings dive off a cliff like NFL.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is the welcome to country going ahead? I mean that’s pretty offensive to me having some 2% abo tell me he gives me permission to enter a piece of land
That's a fair question if they're avoiding the anthem, would be quite hypocritical. Happy for Welcome to Country to go ahead as it provides acknowledgement, but only if the anthem is also included.

Last edited:

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
With all due respect, it’s not a international game. It’s literally state v state.
if it was Australia v ANYONE you’d have a national anthem play .. but why are we worked up over them not doing for a state game where both teams are Australian
Only because its always been a tradition to play it before the big games even if the Australian team isn't playing. The only reason they've decided not to do this is fear of a reaction.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Only because its always been a tradition to play it before the big games even if the Australian team isn't playing.
Fair enough, they’ve never played the Anthem before a Grand final or a City v Country game so I just don’t see why we need to be so fuelled up if it’s not played before a Origin game.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fair enough, they’ve never played the Anthem before a Grand final or a City v Country game so I just don’t see why we need to be so fuelled up if it’s not played before a Origin game.
I've been to about 10 grand finals and it was played, plus they always brought in famous singers to sing it on grand final day as it's a massive TV opportunity for the singer.

City country don't know, but wouldn't say that is a big occasion in terms of crowd.