Official Dean Britt

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
In response to your last question, Pay could pick more big hoppers over plodders. Spoke to a roosters fan today, and he was flabbergasted that Tolman is still going around for us. What could we have done differently? Let me count they ways... identify some good young guns that other clubs have managed to find. Make better use of your existing squad. Don't pick plodders. I am genuinely frightened for the safety of Elliot and Stimson when they come up against Pangai jnr, Payne Haas, Fifita, lodge and co. Fark.... our pack sux compared to that line up! Where are the big boppers. Napa must have thought he joined a the canterbury toyota cup team ffs! So many things we could have done to get us back in the mix.. no excuses. Our club have always found a way to win until now.
Thanks for attempting to answer the question (sincerely) - amazing how when posed before I got nothing back :-).

Tolman is a divisive character around here! I personally think he's been excellent for us for many years - often playing 80min and mostly defensively his work rate has been top notch.
Yes, he's nearing the end of his career and this year might actually be his last for us - he's in the final year of a richly back-ended deal, he'll be 31 by seasons end, Thompson is coming next year - all the signs are there - unless he's retained on a short deal to use off the bench perhaps next year (but I think that's increasingly unlikely).
Rather than blaming 'plodders' - shouldn't we be more critical of the fact we haven't had a quality 9 since Ennis/Cook? If anything the re-signing of Liccha for 2 extra years is what I'm critical of. 5 years he had with us and never improved. I'm sure a genuine 9 is in the plans also assuming JMK/Katoa are not the answer.
Why the fear for Elliott? We beat the Ponies 30-14 in the final game of last year and all the fellas you mentioned played in that game. If they weren't going full boar because they were saving themselves for the finals the following week - well we saw what happened there with their humiliation at the hands of the slimy Eels.
Whilst I don't think Elliott is the most naturally gifted footballer I'd never question his guts or his effort.
Stimson we'll see - I'm not going to judge him after one game in blue and white.
As for identifying young fellas - we already have the youngest team in the comp (average age 23 I think) - we can't go with any less experience than we already have - and that's where guys like Tolman have been useful.
It's a work in progress mate. I know it's hard to watch at times but it doesn't mean we're not planning for the future - we just haven't had many options the last 2 years.
I'll leave you with another 'alternative' question - if Pay is to be replaced in 2021 - who? (and please don't say Flanagan).

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Can I say then :grinning:

Flanagan for Asst Coach next year. Keep Pay HC for 2021. Then if he doesn't evolve qith selections/bench then Flanagan 2022.

Sorry Dinkum but there's no one else of sufficient experience and we need a high profile HC as much as we need a 6 and 9.
Thanks for attempting to answer the question (sincerely) - amazing how when posed before I got nothing back :-).

Tolman is a divisive character around here! I personally think he's been excellent for us for many years - often playing 80min and mostly defensively his work rate has been top notch.
Yes, he's nearing the end of his career and this year might actually be his last for us - he's in the final year of a richly back-ended deal, he'll be 31 by seasons end, Thompson is coming next year - all the signs are there - unless he's retained on a short deal to use off the bench perhaps next year (but I think that's increasingly unlikely).
Rather than blaming 'plodders' - shouldn't we be more critical of the fact we haven't had a quality 9 since Ennis/Cook? If anything the re-signing of Liccha for 2 extra years is what I'm critical of. 5 years he had with us and never improved. I'm sure a genuine 9 is in the plans also assuming JMK/Katoa are not the answer.
Why the fear for Elliott? We beat the Ponies 30-14 in the final game of last year and all the fellas you mentioned played in that game. If they weren't going full boar because they were saving themselves for the finals the following week - well we saw what happened there with their humiliation at the hands of the slimy Eels.
Whilst I don't think Elliott is the most naturally gifted footballer I'd never question his guts or his effort.
Stimson we'll see - I'm not going to judge him after one game in blue and white.
As for identifying young fellas - we already have the youngest team in the comp (average age 23 I think) - we can't go with any less experience than we already have - and that's where guys like Tolman have been useful.
It's a work in progress mate. I know it's hard to watch at times but it doesn't mean we're not planning for the future - we just haven't had many options the last 2 years.
I'll leave you with another 'alternative' question - if Pay is to be replaced in 2021 - who? (and please don't say Flanagan).

simmmo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know if Pay will get the best out of the squad when our salary cap is more wisely utilised. But he wound up doing better last year than some very strong rosters compared to ours. To me that was about having gradually instilled some self belief in our young squad. The previous year was very much disrupted by having to shed players.

Hasler had the benefit of stepping away from his roster mismanagement at manly, building an unbalanced roster here, walking away back to a decent roster at manly again when we were in a lot of trouble. So while I don't blame our current predicament entirely on him, he and our former board left the club well behind in terms of quality.
The dogs only performed last year when they were not in the race for the finals. Doesn't count. It only counts when there's something to play for. Pay's coaching is woeful. Attack is an absolute and utter shambles. Pay is stuck in the way 90s. Doesn't seem to understand that modern footy requires big hoppers, not replicas on himself, taking it up the middle and dominating the ruck.

simmmo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

I always thought dymock should've have gotten the job to begin with. I reckon you could almost put a pot plant in charge now and you'd get better team selections.

Tolman should have been let go by now. Won't argue with his commitment, but he's been past his prime by at least 2 years. If you think that bloke can hold his own against the likes of Haas and Pangai junior let alone some of the established props in the game, then I'd have to say our fans have accepted mediocrity .

I told you what could have been done above . Why haven't we got the likes of Guler, Pangai junior and David fifita coming thru. Wtf are our recruitment people doing? Why aren't we identifying talent? Hookers and halves need a dominant pack.

I agree with the hooking blunders. How we let cook go is beyond me. Resigning Lichaa was all on Pay. This is part of the case against him. No effing idea Pay. Then does he go out and buy some big hoppers? Nup, he goes and buys another plodder in Stimson. Our forwards couldn't punch thru a wet paper bag. No wonder why our hoppers and halves can't get going. It's a disgrace to this great club.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
The dogs only performed last year when they were not in the race for the finals. Doesn't count. It only counts when there's something to play for. Pay's coaching is woeful. Attack is an absolute and utter shambles. Pay is stuck in the way 90s. Doesn't seem to understand that modern footy requires big hoppers, not replicas on himself, taking it up the middle and dominating the ruck.
But the teams we were playing were competing for positions in the finals, so they had much more to play for. Whilst we had nothing to compete for, so we should have had our asses handed to us but we weren’t. In fact our efforts resulted in teams missing out on home finals, higher positions etc.

That to me counts and counts for a lot.

Go Dogs

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Lots of people are saying we should buy so and so. Please explain to me where the money is coming from for 2020?

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Can I say then :grinning:

Flanagan for Asst Coach next year. Keep Pay HC for 2021. Then if he doesn't evolve qith selections/bench then Flanagan 2022.

Sorry Dinkum but there's no one else of sufficient experience and we need a high profile HC as much as we need a 6 and 9.
Precisely Wendog - no-one else available.
I'll leave aside my personal bias in saying that I'd never want that cheating grub anywhere near Belmore and simply say that I hope it's a move the club never makes.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I always thought dymock should've have gotten the job to begin with. I reckon you could almost put a pot plant in charge now and you'd get better team selections.

Tolman should have been let go by now. Won't argue with his commitment, but he's been past his prime by at least 2 years. If you think that bloke can hold his own against the likes of Haas and Pangai junior let alone some of the established props in the game, then I'd have to say our fans have accepted mediocrity .

I told you what could have been done above . Why haven't we got the likes of Guler, Pangai junior and David fifita coming thru. Wtf are our recruitment people doing? Why aren't we identifying talent? Hookers and halves need a dominant pack.

I agree with the hooking blunders. How we let cook go is beyond me. Resigning Lichaa was all on Pay. This is part of the case against him. No effing idea Pay. Then does he go out and buy some big hoppers? Nup, he goes and buys another plodder in Stimson. Our forwards couldn't punch thru a wet paper bag. No wonder why our hoppers and halves can't get going. It's a disgrace to this great club.
I never thought Dymock was Head Coach material so have no problem with that decision - and the Sharks obviously felt the same when they picked Morris over Dymock too.
As far as Tolman is concerned you can thank the previous board and Des for giving him a 3 year extension in 2017 - that's the reality of the situation. He's done pretty damn well in my view but the end is nigh.
There are plenty of juniors coming through - though need to take a closer look at how many of them are big boppers - perhaps not enough. We have a glut of back rowers, though perhaps in the coming days, one less.
Yes, Pay re-signed Liccha and I agree that was a mistake. The rest I can't agree with. The club has had limited funds for the past 2 and current season. The only reason we got Napa is because Klemmer left.
If you have a look at the kinds of buys we've made last and this year - Stimson, Britt, Meaney, Cogger etc - they've all been done given limited funds. The cap issue is not an excuse mate - it was very real. Thankfully we are near the end of that massive handicap.

simmmo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I never thought Dymock was Head Coach material so have no problem with that decision - and the Sharks obviously felt the same when they picked Morris over Dymock too.
As far as Tolman is concerned you can thank the previous board and Des for giving him a 3 year extension in 2017 - that's the reality of the situation. He's done pretty damn well in my view but the end is nigh.
There are plenty of juniors coming through - though need to take a closer look at how many of them are big boppers - perhaps not enough. We have a glut of back rowers, though perhaps in the coming days, one less.
Yes, Pay re-signed Liccha and I agree that was a mistake. The rest I can't agree with. The club has had limited funds for the past 2 and current season. The only reason we got Napa is because Klemmer left.
If you have a look at the kinds of buys we've made last and this year - Stimson, Britt, Meaney, Cogger etc - they've all been done given limited funds. The cap issue is not an excuse mate - it was very real. Thankfully we are near the end of that massive handicap.
Dymock could not have been worse than Pay. And if Dymock is not at first grade coach, then Pay isn't either. I reckon we have a better forward pack if Dymock was in charge. He wouldn't pick cream puffs like we got now.

Tolman had maybe a couple of decent years, but if you want him in your team, every other forward has got to provide impact. Instead, what we've got are 3 other starting forwards who are workhorses. Yes they do work, but not effective work. Look at their numbers from parra... bugger all metres. So you've got to chop 3 of them in that pack. Watching the other games this weekend , it's apparent that we've got the weakest pack. I mean we will get chewed up by the top teams and that is directly because Pay refuses to pick monsters in the forwards.

I agree that the cap hindered our ability to buy great halves, but honestly, could a world class half play behind those cream puffs we've got in our pack? Pay could have made this side competitive by bringing in some good young forwards. What is Ogden doing is reggies? That costs nothing. I wonder why you bring britt in at 25 years old rather than pick up a big poly bruiser.. Yes you need to be realistic. But you've also got to be resourceful and think outside the box. I see those cricket scores coming up soon.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Dymock could not have been worse than Pay. And if Dymock is not at first grade coach, then Pay isn't either. I reckon we have a better forward pack if Dymock was in charge. He wouldn't pick cream puffs like we got now.

Tolman had maybe a couple of decent years, but if you want him in your team, every other forward has got to provide impact. Instead, what we've got are 3 other starting forwards who are workhorses. Yes they do work, but not effective work. Look at their numbers from parra... bugger all metres. So you've got to chop 3 of them in that pack. Watching the other games this weekend , it's apparent that we've got the weakest pack. I mean we will get chewed up by the top teams and that is directly because Pay refuses to pick monsters in the forwards.

I agree that the cap hindered our ability to buy great halves, but honestly, could a world class half play behind those cream puffs we've got in our pack? Pay could have made this side competitive by bringing in some good young forwards. What is Ogden doing is reggies? That costs nothing. I wonder why you bring britt in at 25 years old rather than pick up a big poly bruiser.. Yes you need to be realistic. But you've also got to be resourceful and think outside the box. I see those cricket scores coming up soon.
Just ask the Parramatta forwards how "cream puff" the Bulldogs are, you'll get an answer that doesn't agree with your thinking. Their much vaunted forward pack didn't nothing against us.

Go Dogs

simmmo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just ask the Parramatta forwards how "cream puff" the Bulldogs are, you'll get an answer that doesn't agree with your thinking. Their much vaunted forward pack didn't nothing against us.

Go Dogs
Mate plodders and cream puffs... obviously can't put two ok games in a row.. first game was a loss... I stand by my cream puff comments